Is Rooting Worth it on G3, O2 in the UK?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have an LG G3. It's on O2 in the UK.

I've been investigating rooting the phone (I'm over from Blackberry where I was always narking around with my phone, installing leaked software etc.), but, thus far, I'm not convinced it's worth the bother, as I'm not too fussed about digging much deeper into the guts of the phone than I already can.

However, one reason that seems to be worthwhile, is bloatware removal. But all the posts on AC (and other places) seem to be concentrated on US networks, and rooting to get rid of all the **** on the G3 on networks state-side.

I love the G3, but I'm not 100% convinced by the battery life, although I am, admittedly, a very heavy user. I was wondering if anyone here has the G3 on O2 UK, and whether there is any junk that's worth getting rid of, and therefore worth getting my G3 rooted?

Cheers ;)

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Canada, so I can't speak to your network specifically, but it's really up to you whether you think rooting is worth it or not. The bloatware on the G3 is negligible honestly. Again, can't speak to your network, but with Rogers here in Canada most or all of the pre installed Rogers apps could simply be uninstalled. Out of the box, I don't really have anything I've noticed running on the phone that I'd consider bloat, certainly nothing that is negatively impacting the battery.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
As a UK user, but unlocked SIM-free, I wasn't aware that the UK networks added bloatware to their devices. The only thing I saw on a demo G3 up-and-running at my local Three store was the Three app, but that's useful and the sort of thing you'd want. What apps or features have you got on yours that are making you suspicious? Or perhaps even things that may be missing?

Posted via Android Central App

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
As a UK user, but unlocked SIM-free, I wasn't aware that the UK networks added bloatware to their devices. The only thing I saw on a demo G3 up-and-running at my local Three store was the Three app, but that's useful and the sort of thing you'd want. What apps or features have you got on yours that are making you suspicious? Or perhaps even things that may be missing?

Nothing - that's the point.

I guess what I was asking was if there was bloatware than runs in the background that isn't obvious, and is only accessible, and, therefore, removable, by rooting the device? From what you say, possibly that's not so? There's was nothing much 'O2' visible on my device when I first got it, and I only removed a couple of unrequired apps.

If that's that, then all the better. I was more a question of whether rooting suddenly revealed programs that I may not want, as opposed to not being able to remove ones that I'm already aware of.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what rooting might or might not reveal because my experience of it so far is fairly limited....in fact, it's zero. But I think you'll be all right.

Edit...I mean, I think you'll be all right with the phone as it is, not all right with rooting.

Last edited:

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
So I went ahead and rooted my phone at the weekend. Was easy enough.

It was fine, but, for me, I found it to be of little use. O2 bloatware was minimal, and what I didn't need I'd already uninstalled. I mucked around with a few bits that were interesting, but nothing that I could've done without. One of my main reasons was to try and get at the processor speeds for mapping and the like to try and save a bit of battery, but I did so, and noticed very little - if any - difference. Then yesterday I tried to use my Sky Go app. (which I'm very fond of as a sports nut on the go, and had to do without for years as I was on Blackberry, which Sky doesn't support), only to get a notification that Sky Go could not be used on a rooted device.

I looked at a few options to get around this, and tried a few 'cloaking' apps/procedures that I Googled, but to no avail. In the end, I used Super Su to unroot it, and did a full factory reset.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084