Any advantage to glass screen protectors?

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, can anyone tell me what advantages there are to having a glass screen protector?

I'm seeing a number of people saying they have them but I've never actually seen one in person. I know Spigen has one (I have a Spigen slim armor case).

I currently have a matte ghost armor on my phone which I like but I'm curious about the glass counter parts. Is there any advantage vs a common screen protector like the ghost armor?

Posted via G3 on the Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Glass screen protectors

Increased in durability, protection and just feels better since it's glass.

The 16GB Gold iPhone 5S I got over a trade has one. I know you can't beat the feeling of glass but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

TBH, I have no issues with the screen protectors. The Spigen that came with my Ultra Hybrid feels great and have no issues. I also use Super Shieldz, 3-6 packs for $10.

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

A number of reviewers on YouTube have showed cases where they have dropped their phones and the tempered glass takes the damage instead of the phone. They peeled off the shattered glass and phone was still perfect. I love mine because it feels great. The protection it provides is a great bonus though. Mine is paired with a spigen slim armor ... No worries for me!

Posted via Android Central App

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site

I ordered this yesterday for $12.95. They are supposed to be better than traditional screen protectors. I have never used one so I am excited to try it out. I will post back once I have it installed.
5c08989cc4597acba785dae52a05634b.jpg

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

A number of reviewers on YouTube have showed cases where they have dropped their phones and the tempered glass takes the damage instead of the phone. They peeled off the shattered glass and phone was still perfect. I love mine because it feels great. The protection it provides is a great bonus though. Mine is paired with a spigen slim armor ... No worries for me!

That's an interesting point about the glass protector taking the damage. I hadn't considered that. Useful for that alone, even.

Frankfan2112

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

My daughter dropped her tempered glass protected S5. Picked it up and the screen was shattered badly.

I took the phone into the other room, carefully peeled of the tempered glass and the actual screen was pristine.

All of my family phones now sport tempered glass protectors. The PThink on my G3 fits great, is really slick, and does a nice job repelling fingerprints.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm a little confused about how a screen protector that shatters is better then a regular one that won't...obviously if I drop the phone with the ghost armor on it the ghost armor won't shatter, it may scratch or something, but it should protect the screen without shattering. So do glass screen protectors need to replaced every time you drop the phone? Little confused...

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

I ordered this yesterday for $12.95. They are supposed to be better than traditional screen protectors. I have never used one so I am excited to try it out. I will post back once I have it installed. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/10/5c08989cc4597acba785dae52a05634b.jpg
That's the protector on my G3. It's almost impossible to see it's on the phone and the same can be did about the feel of it.
I'm a little confused about how a screen protector that shatters is better then a regular one that won't...obviously if I drop the phone with the ghost armor on it the ghost armor won't shatter, it may scratch or something, but it should protect the screen without shattering. So do glass screen protectors need to replaced every time you drop the phone? Little confused...

Your ghost armor is designed to protect against scratches, in a fall it might offer done shatter protection, but I don't think much. These glass protectors are designed to absorb the impact and shatter rather than your screen.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Interesting, I suppose common screen protectors might not protect as much against impact but more against scratches... How are the glass screen protectors out on? Is it different then a regular screen protector?

Reed Swain

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

I just got mine today from China, less than $3.50. The packaging is the same as the other one I bought from a U.S. company. I had one on my S4 and really liked it. It never got scratched and handled the smudges well.

Posted via the Android Central App

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Hey all, can anyone tell me what advantages there are to having a glass screen protector?

I'm seeing a number of people saying they have them but I've never actually seen one in person. I know Spigen has one (I have a Spigen slim armor case).

I currently have a matte ghost armor on my phone which I like but I'm curious about the glass counter parts. Is there any advantage vs a common screen protector like the ghost armor?

I tried zagg, verizon's, and bodyguardz... and I have had touch screen problems with them all. So I decided that since I never ever drop my phone or ruin my screens then I will just leave it bare..... it is also gorilla glass so it should be somewhat durable for everyday use.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Got this today and installed it. Really easy to put it on. This is much better than regular screen protectors IMO. No bubbles or lint and you can't even tell it's on. It feels almost exactly like the naked screen also. I don't see why not for only $12..
d2be0a1cb2edf449446e282dacb83d87.jpg

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

I don't think the protect any better than a film protector. I just think they look and feel better than the film protectors and even better than the original screen. I've already broken 2 glass ones in 2 months on drops that would never break the screen with film protector on it.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Fosmon hd glass screen protector. Response is great and does a decent job repelling fingerprints. At $6.99 it's good value. Was going to pick up a couple more, but both Amazon and fosmon are out of stock. Am now looking at the PThink.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site

I don't think the protect any better than a film protector. I just think they look and feel better than the film protectors and even better than the original screen. I've already broken 2 glass ones in 2 months on drops that would never break the screen with film protector on it.

Yea I got a glass screen protector because of how it looks and feels - not for drop protection. I've never (knock on wood) dropped a phone to the point it cracked the screen. This is the first glass screen protector I've used. I like it much better than the traditional screen protectors..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995