Buying a G3 Tomorrow...

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
And this being my first android device, I'm a little nervous coming from Apple devices. Any tips or advice for setting up the phone, settings, launchers, icon packs, widgets, etc.? Excited to finally leave Icrap, but a little anxious about the unknown...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Turn off imessage now. Remove your phone number from all things Apple. After turning off imessage send texts to the people you normally contact and let them know they should be seeing green instead of blue. This will alleviate a lot of headaches and should make sure you receive messages from your friends on iphones

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android and congrats on the new device :D
Is there anything specific you think you'd miss coming from iOS?
Just a few apps I think are useful on Android: Google + (Comes with the Photos app) so you can back up your contacts, photos, and videos.
Nova Launcher or Google Now Launcher.
These are most similar to the stock launcher and the former has more customization options than any of the stock launchers.
Swift Key or Google keyboard. I haven't used the keyboard on LG, but the Samsung isn't very good IMO. There are plenty of third party ones, but those two are particularly popular.

Those are the most useful just off the top if my head. Hopefully someone else can mention a few more

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Smart move for turning from the Darkside and joining us here in the Rebellion. :)
The great thing about Android is the total and complete freedom of individuality and personalization.
There are literally thousands and thousands of permutations to make your device your device.

Personally, I recommend Nova Prime as a launcher which gives many, many options for icons, etc.
Also Beautiful Widgets has great options for clocks and widgets. Many colors, styles, etc.
Many of the iOs apps will be available on Google and if you find those that don't, there should be corresponding versions.

Let us know if there any other problems or questions.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for Nova Prime. HD Widget is great too and as for icons I have Click UI, nox, Stark and Minimal UI.

If you're sick of using/seeing icons on your home screen, download Simple Text app. It does take time to learn but it gives your phone a different look.

6aqaqema.jpg

The Japanese word I have is, Godzilla. Its my Starbucks app. :)

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
And this being my first android device, I'm a little nervous coming from Apple devices. Any tips or advice for setting up the phone, settings, launchers, icon packs, widgets, etc.? Excited to finally leave Icrap, but a little anxious about the unknown...

There are many threads and posts here to give you a hand. Android is a lot different then iOS so I'm sure (depending on how long you've been with Apple) it will be a big change. Getting used to Android after coming over from BlackBerry took me a while.

You should be able to get a feel for all of the basic functions and navigation of the phone first. Set up your notification sounds, ring tones, alarms, etc. This is always what I do right away when I get a new phone before jumping into customization. The default launcher is pretty nice, so poke around with that for a bit to see if you like it. Many people love Nova Launcher (me included, I've used it exclusively for years), so give that shot as well if you wish (there's a free version). Widgets and icon packs all depend on what your preference is towards the appearance.

Be sure to check back here with any questions you might have once you get the phone!

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Turn off imessage now. Remove your phone number from all things Apple. After turning off imessage send texts to the people you normally contact and let them know they should be seeing green instead of blue. This will alleviate a lot of headaches and should make sure you receive messages from your friends on iphones

Thanks...very good advice. I turned it all off 2 months ago anticipating tomorrow :)

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Smart move for turning from the Darkside and joining us here in the Rebellion. :)
The great thing about Android is the total and complete freedom of individuality and personalization.
There are literally thousands and thousands of permutations to make your device your device.

Personally, I recommend Nova Prime as a launcher which gives many, many options for icons, etc.
Also Beautiful Widgets has great options for clocks and widgets. Many colors, styles, etc.
Many of the iOs apps will be available on Google and if you find those that don't, there should be corresponding versions.

Let us know if there any other problems or questions.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.

Thanks man..

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Everyone has given some pretty solid tips. My personal opinion though is being new to the Android team, I would stick with the stock launcher and all the basics before advancing to other launchers and stuff because it can get rather confusing if you dont know what you are doing at first. Other than that, once you get your feel for the Android eco system down pat, start customizing away because that is where the real fun begins and why people switch from ios to Android.

Posted via Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

You may not need all the launchers and icon packs as much as you think. I watched a video overview on youtube of the software on the G3. There's quite a bit you can customize without launchers and stuff. I'm considering Android as well. Just waiting for my contract to be up. Haven't narrowed down a device just yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the M8 over the G3. It feels a little wide for my taste. Good luck with your purchase!

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
You may not need all the launchers and icon packs as much as you think. I watched a video overview on youtube of the software on the G3. There's quite a bit you can customize without launchers and stuff. I'm considering Android as well. Just waiting for my contract to be up. Haven't narrowed down a device just yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the M8 over the G3. It feels a little wide for my taste. Good luck with your purchase!

Funny...it was between the G3 and the M8 for me too...but the M8 felt too tall and thin for me (like the iphone). Different strokes...

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry about the launcher.. You know that is the 'front end ' that sets up your home screens, icon appearance, etc. The stock on board experience is fine. Get your notification stuff set up. LED notification is a bit buggy. An app called Light Manager will help. After a while you May want to eliminate the carrier junk... and Carrier IQ. Then you'll want to root. That's down the road.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

The M8 is a great phone but the camera is absolutely horrible. I had higher pixels and pic quality in my last flip phone lol (just kidding) If you like taking pics I would pass, but if not, you can't go wrong with that device either.

Posted via Android Central App

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I had an M7 and just got a G3. The camera was the deciding factor, though I do miss the speakers. My M7's camera (one with the purple tint flaw) failed me bigtime at a recent convention and that was the final straw. Enjoying the G3 though still getting used the the nuances of the LG ecosystem vs Sense which I had liked quite a bit.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Glad to see someone from icrap tell it like it is.

You will love android, like some said just use the OS the way it is so you can get a feel for it.
Once you know your way around, start customizing with other apps.
Lots to do on android so have fun.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Lots of good advice has already been provided in regards to launchers & icon packs ect .

The G3 will provide a great overall experience from the display to the camera..

Will take a short time to adjust but once you do, then the fun and enjoyment begins....a lost feeling on an iPhone.

Enjoy your G3 :)

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
When I got my first Android phone (5 or 6 years ago), I came here to AC and read as much as I could. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Some of it might not make sense the first time you read it, it will start to make sense after a while. And don't hesitate to ask questions. Most people here are happy to help. We were all beginners once. Some specific suggestions:

Read all the informative blog entries on AC that are linked here: LG G3: Specs, review, rumors and release date | Android Central

Read through the G3 forum here, and on other sites. You'll learn a lot.

Search on iPhone to Android here on AC. Here's one thread that might be worth reading: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/386383-iphone-android.html

Here's another: Eric Schmidt gives a few handy tips on switching to Android from iPhone | Android Central

Also try searching on the phrase Android tips. Some of the links relate to other phone models, but a lot of the information is going to be the same, or very similar. Be sure to check the dates on the posts you're looking at, too. There's a "Getting started with Android" thread, but it dates to 2010, so many of the posts are obsolete. Skip forward a lot, and you might find some good information:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I went from a slew of Android devices since 2010 to a iPhone 5 about a year ago. I have the iPhone 6 on order, but think I might switch to the G3. It's the first device on Verizon worth going back to Android for. I'll have to use it a bit more in store to know for sure.

C'mon Verizon & Google...play nice. Some of us want Nexus devices.