LG G3 Is it safe to use WiFi in Google Maps?

Lapse

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Verizon keeps prompting me to turn on my G3 Wi-Fi while driving to save on data charges while using Google maps directions, but I usually have Wi-Fi turned off unless I'm signed in to a secure Wi-Fi location. Are there legitimate security concerns here, or should I just turn it on without many worries?

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it safe to use WiFi in Google Maps?

Using wifi sometimes helps with greater accuracy, as the signal can still confirm your location. I keep it off mostly and my maps turn out ok.

Reactions: rvbfan

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is it safe to use WiFi in Google Maps?

I agree with the previous poster, but I also am becoming aware of software glitches in the Verizon customizations. Generally, maps will work fine regardless of whether WiFi is on. If you are connected to WiFi and Verizon asks if you want to connect again, I call that an annoying software glitch.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You do not need to enable this. It's trying to get you to turn on Wi-Fi in order to track you for ads and location based services. They claim they are improving your location accuracy, but in terms of how accurate you really need to be for driving /Navigation... it's not going to help to automatically be picked up by forty Wi-Fi networks along your trip. It allows more sophisticated marketing and burns up more battery.

Personally, I run maps almost totally offline a great deal. This saves a lot of data use. Start off on a Wi-Fi network somewhere. Search for a location... your destination. Click on the name of the city or item when it appears. Under the map... to the left of the blue car icon. Then click Save Map to Use Offline.. (right under the street view photo ). Adjust the zone of the map to be saved... as large as possible before you get a message that it's TOO large. Name the map and save... all on Wi-Fi. Now hit the blue car icon for directions... then hit Navigation. You will get the voice directions initiated. Now leave Wi-Fi and drive. Turn off data! You've got the map and the route in memory and Navigation active. Drive... obviously your GPS /location needs to be on. You get voice and map directions for your full trip without using any data on your plan. Been doing this for years. Also good if you're out in woods or dead zones.

SwaggerJacker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You do not need to enable this. It's trying to get you to turn on Wi-Fi in order to track you for ads and location based services. They claim they are improving your location accuracy, but in terms of how accurate you really need to be for driving /Navigation... it's not going to help to automatically be picked up by forty Wi-Fi networks along your trip. It allows more sophisticated marketing and burns up more battery.

Personally, I run maps almost totally offline a great deal. This saves a lot of data use. Start off on a Wi-Fi network somewhere. Search for a location... your destination. Click on the name of the city or item when it appears. Under the map... to the left of the blue car icon. Then click Save Map to Use Offline.. (right under the street view photo ). Adjust the zone of the map to be saved... as large as possible before you get a message that it's TOO large. Name the map and save... all on Wi-Fi. Now hit the blue car icon for directions... then hit Navigation. You will get the voice directions initiated. Now leave Wi-Fi and drive. Turn off data! You've got the map and the route in memory and Navigation active. Drive... obviously your GPS /location needs to be on. You get voice and map directions for your full trip without using any data on your plan. Been doing this for years. Also good if you're out in woods or dead zones.

Good info. Thanks

Steve

Posted via the Android Central App

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

But without a live data connection you won't be able to get rerouting directions to avoid traffic. And that is something I've come to swear by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC