The charger that came with phone works great, however, Im looking for a charger to have in the office should the need arise. The IT guy at work says that I can use a Blackberry charger, and I should be concerned with it adversely affecting the phone. Is it ok to do this?
    09-16-2014 09:13 AM
    The charger that came with phone works great, however, Im looking for a charger to have in the office should the need arise. The IT guy at work says that I can use a Blackberry charger, and I should be concerned with it adversely affecting the phone. Is it ok to do this?
    Get a 2a charger, not a 1a. Older phones like Samsung Galaxy s3 use 1a chargers. Also, tablets like Nexus 10 use a 2a chargers so that will also work fine with the G3. In the office - why not use a USB port on a PC if you're not in a rush to charge? All you need is an extra micro usb cable.
    mikepas likes this.
    09-16-2014 10:16 AM
    And good quality charger that has a micro-USB connector should work fine. All micro-USB chargers output 5 volts. If the BB chargers has a lower output capacity (in milli-amps) than the stock charger, your phone will charge slower, that's all. If the charger has a higher output, the phone's charging circuitry will limit the amount going to the battery to the appropriate level.
    09-16-2014 10:19 AM
    The blackberry charger will be fine, unless you are upset with the speeds.
    09-16-2014 11:12 AM
    I'm using one of the BB chargers (1.8a?) off Amazon. He'll of a deal for $5 with 6 ft cable. Charges comparably to stock speeds. Not 100% sure if it's a fake though, but it had a ton of positive reviews. Look for BlackBerry premium charger.
    09-16-2014 11:22 AM
    I just want to be clear with something here....its NOT the cable that charges quickly but the USB AC charger that does right?! So, if I use an old Samsung cable BUT use the stock LG USB AC charger, it should charge quickly correct?? Or is it a combo of the charger and cable that give you the quick charging capability??
    09-16-2014 11:28 AM
    I just want to be clear with something here....its NOT the cable that charges quickly but the USB AC charger that does right?! So, if I use an old Samsung cable BUT use the stock LG USB AC charger, it should charge quickly correct?? Or is it a combo of the charger and cable that give you the quick charging capability??
    The cable has nothing to do with it as they are all a standard build of wires.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    09-16-2014 12:04 PM
    Use the USB 3 port of course. Cables can make a difference. I've read of some charging slowly. Not sure if defective or different wiring.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    09-16-2014 12:07 PM
    Use the USB 3 port of course. Cables can make a difference. I've read of some charging slowly. Not sure if defective or different wiring.
    Thanks guys!

When I plug in my retractable micro USB cable here at work from my PC to my G3, it charges REALLY SLOW! Then again, I only have USB 2.0 ports here on this PC. I'll have to now try different cables and USB 3.0 ports to see what I get. This is going to be interesting, lol!
    tardus likes this.
    09-16-2014 12:13 PM
    Thanks guys!

When I plug in my retractable micro USB cable here at work from my PC to my G3, it charges REALLY SLOW! Then again, I only have USB 2.0 ports here on this PC. I'll have to now try different cables and USB 3.0 ports to see what I get. This is going to be interesting, lol!
    From what I've gathered your phone will have to have a USB 3.0 port like the S5 as well, as well as a special cable that connects it to the 3.0 port on the pc.
    09-16-2014 01:26 PM
    I bought this blackberry charger recently and it's great. I like that it has a long cord. Charges fast and since it's a secondary charger I don't mind that it doesn't have a detachable cord that plugs into full size USB
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004OZ...cUvbUpU3899808
    09-16-2014 02:56 PM
    Thanks guys!

USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 are both low amperage's, rated at a maximum of 0.5A and 0.9A. What you want is a "powered" USB port, ideally. Normal USB ports are 5 volt. The powered ones are 12V (some even go up to 24V which are typically used for Point-Of-Sale devices) and can deliver 1.5A of juice.

I hope I have not confused you too much.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    09-17-2014 07:18 AM
    USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 are both low amperage's, rated at a maximum of 0.5A and 0.9A. What you want is a "powered" USB port, ideally. Normal USB ports are 5 volt. The powered ones are 12V (some even go up to 24V which are typically used for Point-Of-Sale devices) and can deliver 1.5A of juice.

Thanks for the explanation!
    09-17-2014 07:41 AM

Agreed. In my reply, I said if you're not in rush, charging from a PC will do the job. And USB3 is faster than USB2. Since I've been using my G3 there's no need to charge during the day. I charge at night even if 60 or 70% is left at the end of the day!

The micro-USB cables can make a huge difference.
    09-17-2014 10:18 AM
    Can you send a link of where to buy there's specific cables and adapters?
    09-17-2014 10:33 AM
    And USB3 is faster than USB2.
    It's still under 1A which is quite weak.
    09-17-2014 12:16 PM
    Mine charges from 40% to 100% in about an hour. I charge it on my lunch break and when I get back to the office I'm good to go..
    09-17-2014 12:25 PM
    A standard USB port outputs only 500mAmps, so yes, it's going to charge slowly.

Thanks guys!

09-17-2014 04:29 PM

You confused everyone!!!

No USB port will ever put out 12 volts, or 24 volts. Plugging a device that expects a USB input into those voltages will fry it very, very quickly. EVERY USB port puts out 5 volts, as does every USB charger. What powered ports provide is more current, measured in milliamps or amps.

The USB standard calls for computers to supply 500 mAmps (1/2 amp) of current. A powered port will provide up to 1.5 amps (or 1500 milliAmps). But still at 5 volts.

Connecting a device designed for one voltage into a circuit supplying a higher voltage is a very bad idea.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    09-17-2014 04:33 PM
    Not true. When I first opened my G3 I forgot to grab the new charger out of the box. I had an old Samsung 1A charger and a CHEAP, LONG cable (from china) that worked fine on my S3 for an overnight charge. I never thought about it. Plugged the G3 in and went to bed. The next morning my brand new phone was DEAD. Eventually I ordered one of those USB Volt/Amp checkers. Turns out that skinny assed long cable was only putting about .1A out. The phone used more power than it was getting. I tried an old cable that came with the sammy charger that we thought was going bad. Sure enough, same thing. Grabbed the nice, new LG *cable* (not the charger) and got .8A. Put it on the LG charger and got 1.2-1.5A. Put a crappy cable on the LG charger and still only got .1A or so. Crappy/old cables can make a HUGE difference.
    12-10-2014 01:55 PM
    Not true. When I first opened my G3 I forgot to grab the new charger out of the box. I had an old Samsung 1A charger and a CHEAP, LONG cable (from china) that worked fine on my S3 for an overnight charge. I never thought about it. Plugged the G3 in and went to bed. The next morning my brand new phone was DEAD. Eventually I ordered one of those USB Volt/Amp checkers. Turns out that skinny assed long cable was only putting about .1A out. The phone used more power than it was getting. I tried an old cable that came with the sammy charger that we thought was going bad. Sure enough, same thing. Grabbed the nice, new LG *cable* (not the charger) and got .8A. Put it on the LG charger and got 1.2-1.5A. Put a crappy cable on the LG charger and still only got .1A or so. Crappy/old cables can make a HUGE difference.
    I did some tests recently on a bunch of micro USB cables that I have. Most of them charged at 1.4a. A few charged at half that. If your cable was only charging .1a that is defective/trash. I've read that a different pin layout is responsible for the lower amp. I still use the bad ones on old devices like Samsung S3. For that they work fine. Also, USB cable extenders - all the ones I tested, knock down the amps of the "good" to to that of the "bad" cables!
    12-11-2014 10:26 AM
    OK, a couple of things:

Charging off a USB port on a computer will always be slower than charging off an AC adapter. USB ports, unless specifically marked, supply only 500 mA (1/2 amp) of current, max. AC chargers can supply much more than that.

USB 3 ports won't charge a USB 2.0 device significantly faster than a USB 2.0 port. If you want a rapid charge, use a wall charger.

All USB cables are not equal. Most are fine for charging off an AC charger, but the really thin cables (like your retractable one) have really thin wires. The thinner the wire, the higher the resistance, and the less current gets passed through to your phone. Using your PC's USB port, the cable probably may be limited current even further.
    12-11-2014 11:44 AM
    OK, a couple of things:

Charging off a USB port on a computer will always be slower than charging off an AC adapter. USB ports, unless specifically marked, supply only 500 mA (1/2 amp) of current, max. AC chargers can supply much more than that.

USB 3 ports won't charge a USB 2.0 device significantly faster than a USB 2.0 port. If you want a rapid charge, use a wall charger.

All USB cables are not equal. Most are fine for charging off an AC charger, but the really thin cables (like your retractable one) have really thin wires. The thinner the wire, the higher the resistance, and the less current gets passed through to your phone. Using your PC's USB port, the cable probably isn't the issue, but with a higher output charger it could be the weak link.
    But some PC's have intelligent charging. Only on the USB3 (blue) ports. Better success in general by using ports on the back not front panel.
    12-11-2014 12:22 PM
    If the USB port isn't labelled as one that supplies higher power (Dell puts a littel lightning bolt next to the high power ports, for example), the phone will limit charging current to 500 ma. Period.
    12-11-2014 02:58 PM
    I did some tests recently on a bunch of micro USB cables that I have. Most of them charged at 1.4a. A few charged at half that. If your cable was only charging .1a that is defective/trash. I've read that a different pin layout is responsible for the lower amp. I still use the bad ones on old devices like Samsung S3. For that they work fine. Also, USB cable extenders - all the ones I tested, knock down the amps of the "good" to to that of the "bad" cables!
    Also did some charging tests with my LG G3... But my conclusions is different from ours! I don't think that the best rated Amazon's USB charging only cable
    is trash and when connected/used with the original LG G3 charger outputs only 1.0A while the original LG cable outputs 1.8A, confirming what the other poster said here! I don't know why, but it seems that only with OEM charger and cable you can go above 1.0A. Found otherwise? Post your photos/proof!
    12-20-2014 04:21 PM