Display issue after drop

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
My phone fell less that 3 feet this morning from my night stand. Landed back down and it is in a case. Screen didn't crack, the body is fine. When the screen comes on, it looks fine for a few seconds, then the colors start to get washed out, almost like the contrast gets really high and you can see lines. It then settles and looks like the attached screen shot. Any ideas? I'm totally freaking out. A flagship in a cash should be able to handle a drop like that.

image1.JPG

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok, to make things worse, I went into the hidden menu and tried running a test, I forgot when the actual menu choice was, but I think it said "test phone" or something similar. It was the first choice on that screen. Now, it seems to be stuck on it. It as AAT Mini OS 3.1 at the top with a list of test below. Nothing seems to be happening. I pulled the battery, restarted and it jst goes back to that screen.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't look good. Attentions of a skilled repairer required I think. With any luck it might be just a loose connection but looks doubtful. You could try a factory reset but very much doubt it would do any good.😞

Edit: I posted at same time as your second post. You can't get into Recovery?

Posted via Android Central App

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't look good. Attentions of a skilled repairer required I think. With any luck it might be just a loose connection but looks doubtful. You could try a factory reset but very much doubt it would do any good.������

Edit: I posted at same time as your second post. You can't get into Recovery?

I was able to get out of that window. Found a solution on XDA. That was completely unrelated to the drop.

I guess I'll start with Best Buy since thats where I got it. I'm so pissed. I dropped my iPhone 4 from that same spot probably 20 times in the 4 years I owned it and I do it once with this and it gets messed up.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you can get into recovery or not but the phone has to be powered off...

Press and hold both the power and volume down until IF you see the Lg logo release then quickly press and hold them both again..

This should take you to a white screen with the option to factory reset.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Very sorry and wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

(I hardly dare suggest this because it sounds like a bad thing to do but perhaps a couple of smart firm taps might put right the effect of the drop? Since the phone is useless as it is you haven't got much to lose.)

Also I seem to remember another member on this forum had a similar problem...if she sees this perhaps she'll comment.

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Went to BB who couldn't do anything since I don't have a plan with them, so they said to go to ATT. They looked at for a minute and just said to call the Warranty dept because it wasn't a cracked screen and didn't any water damage. He said they will probably just send me a new one. Called them, they did a remote session into the phone, but couldn't see the lines, which makes sense because when I took a screen shot, the lines didn't show up on thar either. Anyway, since it is under warranty, they are just going to send a new one out. Funny thing is that they never asked if it was dropped. Only asked if I did any software updates or if it got wet.
Pleasantly surprised how easy it was. Thought I would have send in it for repair and have to go back to my crappy iPhone 4 for a month.

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Pretty awesome outcome considering you broke it.
Sometimes ya win, sometimes you lose.....in this case you won.

True, I did drop it, but shouldn't we expect a phone to handle a less than 3 foot fall where it lands flat on its back and is in a case? I know nothing is unbreakable, but come one, its not like its a cheap $100 device. I dropped my case-less iPhone 4 from that same spot(yes, I have a problem) like 15 times in the 4 years I had it and never once had any issues.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It looks to me like this is a cable issue. Like the connector somehow got messed up. Although you say it is fine when first turned on... So I'm not sure.

I dropped my iPhone 4 from that same spot probably 20 times in the 4 years

This sounds like a problem for you.

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
This sounds like a problem for you.

Its on the table right next to my bed. When my alarm goes off in the morning, I guess I'm still half asleep and don't get a good grip on it and drop it. I may start just leaving it on the floor from now on!

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess you can expect whatever you want, but you still broke it.
I have never subscribed to the "you should be able to drop smart phones" mentality. There are specific smart phones designed to take such abuse, I do not believe the G3 is one of them.

True, I did drop it, but shouldn't we expect a phone to handle a less than 3 foot fall where it lands flat on its back and is in a case? I know nothing is unbreakable, but come one, its not like its a cheap $100 device. I dropped my case-less iPhone 4 from that same spot(yes, I have a problem) like 15 times in the 4 years I had it and never once had any issues.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Its on the table right next to my bed. When my alarm goes off in the morning, I guess I'm still half asleep and don't get a good grip on it and drop it. I may start just leaving it on the floor from now on!

Yeah, if I was prone to a particular accidental situation from time to time, I would make the appropriate adjustments to prevent the situation from happening again. So.....don't leave it where you might drop it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678