Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

Hi all -

Firstly, let me say that I have just recently made the jump from many years of iPhones to the LG G3. For the most part, I'm loving the phone - however I have a few minor issues, and one major issue. This thread is focusing on the latter.

Having acquired the phone on 20/09/2014 - "Android OS" has used 53.55MB of Mobile Data in the background. Having only a small monthly limit, this is something that I need to get under check quick smart. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Restricted background data usage in settings
    2. Restricted background data of the individual apps
    3. Disabled backup in Backup & Reset
    4. Disabled auto sync for all my accounts
    5. Logged out of Chrome in the hope that it will reduce usage

I've installed 3G watchdog to try and help out, but to no avail so far. I want to love this phone, but if I can't get this data under check I'll have to make the change back.
    Attached Thumbnails Just jumped from iOS to Android - Android OS using a LOT of data, please help-vhk1hxw.jpg  
    09-22-2014 11:05 PM
    Hi, welcome to the interesting side! You could disable Google+ which might be backing up photos, and uses a lot of data and see if that makes a difference.

From my OnePlus One...
    09-22-2014 11:13 PM
    Have just disabled this. I've also checked the mobile data in settings which is still climbing. Will see how it goes over the next few hours, though I'm pessimistic.
    09-22-2014 11:49 PM
    Have just disabled this. I've also checked the mobile data in settings which is still climbing. Will see how it goes over the next few hours, though I'm pessimistic.
    Let's hope that clears up some of the data use. I remember seeing that on my phone and wondering what was going on. O.o :-)
    09-23-2014 02:33 PM
    Android OS is high. I was 500 mb for same period and only approx 6 mb android os. Is carrier iq running in the background.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-23-2014 04:10 PM
    Potentially - though I live in Australia, and I bought this phone unlocked. No carrier apps installed, just LG apps.
    09-23-2014 10:26 PM
    Let's hope that clears up some of the data use. I remember seeing that on my phone and wondering what was going on. O.o :-)
    Disabling it seemed to have done the trick. I've now left my phone connected to data for 24hrs, and Android OS has only used 1.9MB - much better than the 55 it used in the first two days. Thanks so much, I've passed this on to a few of my other android friends and I've been able to teach them a few things, via yourself of course haha.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    09-23-2014 10:27 PM
    Disabling it seemed to have done the trick. I've now left my phone connected to data for 24hrs, and Android OS has only used 1.9MB - much better than the 55 it used in the first two days. Thanks so much, I've passed this on to a few of my other android friends and I've been able to teach them a few things, via yourself of course haha.
    That's good news, glad it worked!
    09-23-2014 11:33 PM
    Another thing you can do, which I forgot, is go into your Data setting, and find Google+, then tap on it and at the bottom you can select it to only use data while on WiFi. That way it can still get photos backed up to the Google+ cloud in case of damage to the phone or other mishap. Welcome again to Android, and Android Central. :-)
    09-24-2014 12:20 AM
    Google plus culprit and the biggest one PAYPAL. it runs in the background. I used 42mb one day and I never used it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-30-2014 03:24 PM
    Google plus culprit. Also PayPal. That's a hog.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-30-2014 03:25 PM
    Same thing happened to me when they initialized my phone at the store. Google+ starts to sync right away. I think I used over 500 MB the first day I had my phone.

09-30-2014 06:20 PM
    Same thing happened to me when they initialized my phone at the store. Google+ starts to sync right away. I think I used over 500 MB the first day I had my phone.

Ohh!!!! That's nuts! Frigging Google... they're almost as bad as Apple. Personally I don't use that plus thing. More ways to track you seven ways to Sunday.
    09-30-2014 09:34 PM