love my G3 anyone tempted by the Note 4

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I can't go back to Samsung. There are plenty of places where I have a low signal with Verizon and couldn't make calls with my galaxy s3 but can with my moto x. I do like the g3 though and may make the move.

Posted via Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Went and looked at the Note 4 during lunch today.
In a word, Wow! Sammy did some nice work on the build and materials and there is a substantial feel that I never felt with any other Samsung device.
The metal border and the way the screen curves in towards the edges is very nice. They got rid of the cheesy fake stitching on the back and the overall fit of the back cover is better, it looks seamless.
Unfortunately the phone still has the same basic look as every other Sammy phone and it's big like the Note 3. Comparing my G3 side by side the Note 4 is substantially bigger even though when comparing just screens the difference is negligible.
While side by side there were some glaring differences:
Regardless of what technology is being used, the Note 4 screen stands out. I had my G3 at 100% brightness and it simply did not look as good.
The Note 4 was brilliant and sharp and made my G3 look dull and washed out (sorry G3 Homers).
The Note 4 was more responsive in screen transition with no lag or stutter (something we G3 owners live with).
I took several pictures with both and the Note 4 was as fast as the G3 and the pics were slightly better in most instances.
All in all the Note 4 appears to be a monster of a phone with great hardware and software. And it should be, it's the newest phone with the latest hardware, etc. That all being said, I still don't see me getting one. It's like my Note 3, loved everything about the phone but it was just too big and frankly I find all Sammy phones ugly. So if size and aesthetics are not an issue this would be a great phone for someone.
In the grand scheme of things I find the differences negligible becasue I don't need my phone to be a few milliseconds faster or for the screen a little brighter/brilliant. The one thing that the G3 still has over most big screens is the manageable package, you can use it with one hand and it can still go in your pocket with ease. If the LG continues to do what they do, the G4 should be a great phone....just don't go any bigger.
If the Note 4 were smaller with an updated (overall) design it might be hard to pass up.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Went and looked at the Note 4 during lunch today.
In a word, Wow! Sammy did some nice work on the build and materials and there is a substantial feel that I never felt with any other Samsung device.
The metal border and the way the screen curves in towards the edges is very nice. They got rid of the cheesy fake stitching on the back and the overall fit of the back cover is better, it looks seamless.
Unfortunately the phone still has the same basic look as every other Sammy phone and it's big like the Note 3. Comparing my G3 side by side the Note 4 is substantially bigger even though when comparing just screens the difference is negligible.
While side by side there were some glaring differences:
Regardless of what technology is being used, the Note 4 screen stands out. I had my G3 at 100% brightness and it simply did not look as good.
The Note 4 was brilliant and sharp and made my G3 look dull and washed out (sorry G3 Homers).
The Note 4 was more responsive in screen transition with no lag or stutter (something we G3 owners live with).
I took several pictures with both and the Note 4 was as fast as the G3 and the pics were slightly better in most instances.
All in all the Note 4 appears to be a monster of a phone with great hardware and software. And it should be, it's the newest phone with the latest hardware, etc. That all being said, I still don't see me getting one. It's like my Note 3, loved everything about the phone but it was just too big and frankly I find all Sammy phones ugly. So if size and aesthetics are not an issue this would be a great phone for someone.
In the grand scheme of things I find the differences negligible becasue I don't need my phone to be a few milliseconds faster or for the screen a little brighter/brilliant. The one thing that the G3 still has over most big screens is the manageable package, you can use it with one hand and it can still go in your pocket with ease. If the LG continues to do what they do, the G4 should be a great phone....just don't go any bigger.
If the Note 4 were smaller with an updated (overall) design it might be hard to pass up.

Thanks for sharing, not had a chance to visit a store to check it out, nearest one is 120miles away, not to far but what with work and my daughter not as simple as taking off and priorities right lol

So as per what I thought with the Amoled technology it would be more vivid and colours that pop out at you and brightness levels a bit higher. Build is improved and gone is the stitching and its an overall improvement. However I gather that it doesn't impress you as much or rather enough to trade.

I was thinking of purchasing but something is stopping me...

I like the Note 4 going by on screen reviews/Images...but the G3 is so neatly designed (that 5.5" screen in this from). Touchwiz has never bothered me until I departed with the Nexus 5 and then the Z2 and now the G3 and I think (OK I know) these have superior Ui design.

Samsung is just to stubborn to really give Touchwiz a new lease of life.

OK think I'm successful in talking myself out of the Note 4.

The G3 for the most part is a very pleasing device to use.

If I purchase you can track me down and hit me with a fish or another implement but it has to be non inductive to causing severe damage lol

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
BB: Thx for the review, very interesting. I haven't seen a Note 4 yet but imagine it will be a superb device overall. Also that here in the UK at least it will be much more expensive than the G3.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
BB: Thx for the review, very interesting. I haven't seen a Note 4 yet but imagine it will be a superb device overall. Also that here in the UK at least it will be much more expensive than the G3.

£575 and I think some (Amazon) will command more no doubt £600+.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

It is significantly more expensive than the G3 everywhere in the world.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey, D
Impressed yes, but as you say not enough to switch. It's has a lot going for it but I know if I got it I would be complaining in short order about its size and tired design. It's like a car manufacturer putting in a new high performance motor in a 10 year old car.
It definitely feels better and they have taken a small step refreshing some of the design and materials.

Thanks for sharing, not had a chance to visit a store to check it out, nearest one is 120miles away, not to far but what with work and my daughter not as simple as taking off and priorities right lol

So as per what I thought with the Amoled technology it would be more vivid and colours that pop out at you and brightness levels a bit higher. Build is improved and gone is the stitching and its an overall improvement. However I gather that it doesn't impress you as much or rather enough to trade.

I was thinking of purchasing but something is stopping me...

I like the Note 4 going by on screen reviews/Images...but the G3 is so neatly designed (that 5.5" screen in this from). Touchwiz has never bothered me until I departed with the Nexus 5 and then the Z2 and now the G3 and I think (OK I know) these have superior Ui design.

Samsung is just to stubborn to really give Touchwiz a new lease of life.

OK think I'm successful in talking myself out of the Note 4.

The G3 for the most part is a very pleasing device to use.

If I purchase you can track me down and hit me with a fish or another implement but it has to be non inductive to causing severe damage lol

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Definitely a nice device; if the G3 didn't exist I would probably get one. From what I've heard the Nexus 6 is going to be a big phone as well.... NO longer an option if that's the case.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey, D
Impressed yes, but as you say not enough to switch. It's has a lot going for it but I know if I got it I would be complaining in short order about its size and tired design. It's like a car manufacturer putting in a new high performance motor in a 10 year old car.
It definitely feels better and they have taken a small step refreshing some of the design and materials.

I think if Samsung Scaled it down to 5.5" and Drastically overhauled Touchwiz then without question I would add it to my collection.

Ahhhh I may yet be daft enough to purchase then sell upon the G4 announcement.

Nah I'm not going to

Yes you are

No its daft and you have the G3 aaaaand the Z2

Yeah but erm one more device to unbox and then have sitting as a backup for the back up..

Yeah that makes sense...

No it doesn't you *****

TBC lol

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It is significantly more expensive than the G3 everywhere in the world.

Doh! Of course you're right. But it sometimes seems that price differences are greater in different parts of the globe....e.g. a leading retailer here offers the G3 for c£480 and the Note 3 for c£650. The Note 3, mind.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You're nuts.....:D

I think if Samsung Scaled it down to 5.5" and Drastically overhauled Touchwiz then without question I would add it to my collection.

Ahhhh I may yet be daft enough to purchase then sell upon the G4 announcement.

Nah I'm not going to

Yes you are

No its daft and you have the G3 aaaaand the Z2

Yeah but erm one more device to unbox and then have sitting as a backup for the back up..

Yeah that makes sense...

No it doesn't you *****

TBC lol

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Doh! Of course you're right. But it sometimes seems that price differences are greater in different parts of the globe....e.g. a leading retailer here offers the G3 for c£480 and the Note 3 for c£650. The Note 3, mind.

Yeah, but with Samsung there is a price premium. And there is no exception with this flagship.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Before I got the G3, I compared it to the Note 3. That thing is just too big and too uncomfortable for me to hold. If they could squeeze it into the G3's size, I might be tempted, but that's not going to happen. I might be interested in a Note 4 Mini, with a smaller screen but all the same specs otherwise.

TW isn't an issue for me. Stick Nova Prime on there and you've eliminated most of TW's issues, and have a better launcher even than stock Android.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Note 4 == Yawn........ Wake me when something interesting comes along.
Note 4 is too big. The LG G3 is the ideal form factor for a bug screen phone.

LG may not have had a lot of other winners but I think the G2 and now the G3 are definitely winners.
My wife has the G2 and that along with KNOX on my Galaxy S4 is what convinced me to get a G3.

Best phone on the market. The only thing better would be an unlocked BL or at least a custom recovery.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm always tempted but the size is a problem. I'm going to buy the Note 4 but I doubt it will replace my G3. I posted it many times, LG squeezing the 5.5" in this body is just unbelievable!

I'm not surprised with BBSeattle's impression, especially on the Build after getting a taste of it with Samsung's Galaxy Alpha last week at a Bell store.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
To each one's own. I think the G3 is an amazing phone, but I am tempted by the Note 4 because of the better screen, processor, battery, and multi function features. Its not "too" big to me and though the s3 thru s5's that I dealt woth were somewhat buggy, the Note series has always been really smooth with me. The G3 has the absolute best look out of any phone on the market based on how well it utilizes the screen and cuts slim the bezels, but its definitely not the best performing phone nor the best in regards to screen and battery.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
No. Tempted by droid turbo. Former droid maxx user. Want lapdock or padfone on verizon.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk