Beware those who root!!!

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
So I rooted my G3 thinking I would like to adjust some things but I got bad delays with my phone now and have changed nothing. I consulted a computer professional who deals with computers, programming, phones, etc. Owns the company and he says I am basically screwed. Sometimes you can unroot but usually not. Phone companies guard this pretty closely and don't want you messing around in there and don't just hand over the tools to unroot. So I guess now I will have to file warranty and pay the deductible to get a new device. Just a warning to those who are not very savy in this. To those who are that's great but if you don't know exactly what you are doing you will mess yourself up as I did. Exspensive lesson learned.

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I am pretty sure that rooting voids your warranty. It is likely that if you return the phone rooted they will not honor the warranty. That said, I am pretty sure that rooting in and of itself would "bad delays" (I am assuming you mean your phone has slowed down). Rooting is akin to having administrator privileges on a PC and does not effect the speed of processing. I recommend that you boot the phone into Recovery (I don't know how this is done on an LG G3 but you should be able to find out in the manual or a quick Google search) and once there, clear out the cache. If things are really bad, consider a factory reset.

Good luck.

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've sent 3 phones back too Verizon rooted in the past. None of witch have been rejected in anyway. Just food for thought for you on that one. When it comes to any lag. You may have an app affecting your phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rkahla

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
you spoke with a computer professional who said you can't unroot a device? does he think you can't uninstall windows 8? It's a computer, yeah, it's a little complicated, but of my note, note 2, thunderbolt, X, X2, droid 3, G2, G3, and Note 3, all of which where rooted, and taken back to stock...the ONLY device that I ever soft bricked was a first gen barnes and noble nook color. That took me almost a day to fix. You can always unroot the device, just make sure you have an image for the original rom, and a way to flash i.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
FYI, I am pretty sure that rooting voids your warranty. It is likely that if you return the phone rooted they will not honor the warranty. That said, I am pretty sure that rooting in and of itself would "bad delays" (I am assuming you mean your phone has slowed down). Rooting is akin to having administrator privileges on a PC and does not effect the speed of processing. I recommend that you boot the phone into Recovery (I don't know how this is done on an LG G3 but you should be able to find out in the manual or a quick Google search) and once there, clear out the cache. If things are really bad, consider a factory reset.

Good luck.
The delay I am experiencing is the home button. When I pick the home botton it delays about 2seconds then the nav buttons turn white and finally goes to the home screen. I have made no changes and have performed 3 factory tests with the same results.
I'm not replacing it under warranty. Replacing it under insurance.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
you spoke with a computer professional who said you can't unroot a device? does he think you can't uninstall windows 8? It's a computer, yeah, it's a little complicated, but of my note, note 2, thunderbolt, X, X2, droid 3, G2, G3, and Note 3, all of which where rooted, and taken back to stock...the ONLY device that I ever soft bricked was a first gen barnes and noble nook color. That took me almost a day to fix. You can always unroot the device, just make sure you have an image for the original rom, and a way to flash i.

I am not tech savvy enough to do this. I have been trying for 2 weeks. If anyone is close enough to me I will pay you too do it.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
It's really not that Complicated (Honestly)

1)Install USB drivers on your PC (So your G3 can be recognised) and these are easy to find.

2)Grab the KDZ for your specific variant eg mine is the D855 and I nabbed v10h (yours will be different)

3)Grab Lg's Flash tool (Google search).

4)Place G3 in download mode (With the full size USB connected to your com, hold power up and insert micro USB into your phone.

5)Open up lg flash tool it's basic and easy to understand, open up the Kdz file that you saved.

6)Flash.

You then will be back to unrooted stock firmware.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Root does not slow down your phone. Root I'd just giving you more access.

And you can just reflash and root will be gone. Its most likely an app that is causing a problem. Before filing any warranty, just do a factory reset and see what happens.

You said factory test, which is.....

Sent from my VZW LG G3 (tapatalk)

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What a community we have here! Awesome to help the bass player out!

If he were a drummer, well... that might be different, eh?

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
you are experiencing the delay with the home button immediately after a factory reset and before any deleted apps have been re-installed? This would eliminate the possibility of it being an app.

I presume that you have not unrooted and that you have not attempted to determine if root survived the factory reset. I suggest you install SuperSU, go into settings, scrolldown and click "Full unroot" (if SuperSU says asks to update binaries when you first launch they do that by clicking "Normal") and then click full unroot in settings and once done, exit SuperSU and reboot.

wctaylor79

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Just a side note.. Over on XDA there is plenty of walkthroughs with pictures on putting back to stock. .Took me about 20 minutes on one that I had to swap out. The swap out was due to other issues and not because of root.. but the info is out there. Sorry can't pull the link here at work, but if you google XDA Verizon Lg G3 that will get you in the right direction... Good luck

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Indianapolis

Well I am in Cleveland so you would have to ship the phone. Oh well.

A factory reset will not unroot, nor resolve any issues to those precious files that must have gotten messed up at some point due to having root access.

That being said, a full flash back to stock would be the only solution.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
With these great developers, just read directions, download the right files then follow more directions. Rooting and flash is 10 times easier then a few years ago

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I consulted a computer professional who deals with computers, programming, phones, etc. Owns the company and he says I am basically screwed. Sometimes you can unroot but usually not.

Well, he's full if crap. You can unroot the G3 by loading the stock image. I've done it to grab an OTA on my G3, Nexus 5, S3, and even a low rent Galaxy Stellar. It's just a matter of finding the process.

I hope you find someone local to help.. I'd do it, but I'm way the hell over in Massachusetts.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have tried downloading the flashtool about 10 times and each time it is not what is needed to unroot the phone. I don't know. Thanks for all of your help.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You need a flash tool and the factory image to fully restore the device.