Why are all my contacts doubled?

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
If I look at my contacts all of them are doubled. I just have phone numbers I don't store email addresses or anything like that. Some of them have like a purple icon beside them and a beige colored icon for the doubled one. Some of them are both beige or one might be green. I know in my old phone I only had everyone's number stored once or maybe twice if I had a home/mobile number etc. But when they were switched over to the new phone now I have the same information just listed like two separate contacts. Why is that? What do the colors mean?

joesf

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I think it may be that the contact is saved to both the phone and your Google account. If you click on a each of the same contact and look at where it says 'account', one may have the Google logo and one may have a mobile phone icon.

You can join contacts though. If you click on a contact that is duplicated, then click the 3 dot menu button top right, you should have an option to 'join'. Click that, and more often than not it should suggest the correct contact to join with (which would be the duplicate). Then when you look in the 'account' section of that contact, it should have both the Google logo and mobile phone icon. You then should end up with only one entry in your contacts list for that particular contact.

I'm not sure if there is an option somewhere to 'join all' duplicates, which would make the process easier.

I've had this issue before and that's what I did. Someone may have a better way of resolving the problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

scsgoal

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if there is an option somewhere to 'join all' duplicates, which would make the process easier.

There is. When in Contacts, click the 3 Dot menu button and select "manage contacts". From there you can search and join duplicates that the phone finds.

joesf

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
There is. When in Contacts, click the 3 Dot menu button and select "manage contacts". From there you can search and join duplicates that the phone finds.

Thanks for that. How I missed it I do not know!

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool