Quick G3 review

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So I read all the reviews I could find on the G3 both here and anywhere else I could find a good hit on a Google search. Most of them said the same things - it's really small for a 5.5" phone, the screen is good but not overwhelming, performance is hit and miss and QHD isn't quite what the hype would lead you to believe. OK, well to me the QHD was tempting since it seems like it would benefit what I stare at the screen most for - reading. The rest sounded acceptable so I took a shot. Note in some areas I will compare to the HTC One M8 since I have one. Performance of the M8 s going to be really hard to beat. But we'll see.

First the basics. The phone is big. It's shorter than the M8 but wider. The plastic body feels just fine. LG did a nice job on it and it sits in the hand very well. The screen seems huge - your first impression is the phone is all screen. Very cool. Speaker sound is good. It's not overwhelmingly loud. I'm going to say it's about as loud as the M8. Slightly tinnier, but very good.

Performance does stutter. Scrolling lots of images stutters. Scrolling lots of text stutters. I disabled a ton of stuff. It still stutters. I loaded Nova launcher - still stutters. I left Nova on because even now we are STUCK WITH A 16 SLOT ICON GRID. Oh, come ON Google. Get out of the 90s already. But really the stutter isn't much of a problem. the phone catches up painting the screen very fast and the stutters are small fractions of a second. They don't slow anything down, they are just annoying.

But, the screen is awesome. Yes, it's better than the M8, even displaying the same content. Using it for reading is incredible, Text is visibly sharper and easier to read. Oddly, I streamed a movie off Netflix and performance was perfect. No stutter, no missed frames. Looked great and sounded good. So as a media gadget, THIS is your new toy.

Things I don't like - the base dialer and control panels are a rather nasty collection of colors. I'd really prefer the option for dark themes. I think I am going to swap out the dialer to something I can stand to look at. Control panel is WAAAAAAAY better than the G2. G2 was a hot mess. The G3 fixed it, mostly. Default launcher, aside from the pathetic grid, is nice and clean. The phone isn't M8 or Droid clean, but it's not a clutterfest like it used to be. Screen size is nicely compensated for in the dialer, where you can set it up to work one handed.

Overall I really like it. I hated the G2 just because the UI was *so* messy. This one is a vast improvement. The size is great. Where phones like the Note are just a bit too big for me to like carrying them, this one is fine - a good place between 5" and huge, helped by those narrow bezels.

If, like me, you were leery of the performance complaints, take this away from my experience. Yeah, there are some issues with performance in some cases. But like most things they are overblown by the tech blogs. True, there is some stutter. True, compared to the M8 performance isn't super smooth. But the thing is, while it's there it doesn't slow things down and when you are in an app everything seems OK. I haven't played any graphics intensive games (not my thing) but performance on streaming media is fine. I'm keeping this one. Love that screen. It's a thing of beauty. The phone just plain looks great. LG did a nice job here.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the way things move in the phone market, even a month is old news let alone however long this thing has been out :) But there may be others out there looking at the G3 and I've always found there is never too much info on a phone I am looking at :)

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I still find the G3 refreshing where some devices have grown stale. My addiction leads me to try out 1 flagship a year but I tend to border on obsession at times and this year I purchased the Z2 (still own) the G3 (using) and now I have ordered the Note 4. However having an interest in something is a good thing right lol

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the way things move in the phone market, even a month is old news let alone however long this thing has been out :) But there may be others out there looking at the G3 and I've always found there is never too much info on a phone I am looking at :)

Whenever I see the G3s lined up in my local phone store, I can't help still feeling tempted to buy one, in spite of the fact that I've OWNED one for three months. It continues to be an exciting device...almost all screen when you look at it, and, best of all, relatively inexpensive.

Posted via Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I see the G3s lined up in my local phone store, I can't help still feeling tempted to buy one, in spite of the fact that I've OWNED one for three months. It continues to be an exciting device...almost all screen when you look at it, and, best of all, relatively inexpensive.

This is what got me upon unboxing the form and the screen its a lot of it (thin thin bezels) the design is fantastic. Its not metal clad but tbh it doesn't need to be.. this kept the price down, and we got a QHD screen this design, removable battery, SD card expansion, great camera and useful features for as you said a relatively low price...

The G3 is for the most part a fantastic device :)

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting to read of the screen 'Stutter' - the OP isn't the first person who's said this about the G3.

I can honestly say I get none, or not so I've noticed.

The screen is lovely. Personally, despite the PPI and so on, to me, it looks great more as it seems to fill the phone up - the sides of the G3 are almost bezel-less.

The UI is lovely (never had a G2 - I came from Blackberry who, IMHO, did UI VERY well).

My only gripe thus far is battery life, but, as I've mentioned in numerous other posts on here recently, it's the kick-back of the screen. Obviously what one user calls 'heavy' usage is someone else's 'medium', and another's 'light', but I do hammer the G3 quite a bit. I'd say, on a week day, where I play games and watch stuff on my 2 hour overall commute, I get from 6am to 11pm with, usually, 10-15% battery left, with quite a bit of downtime whilst working in between. But on weekends, with more free time and using it for a bit of GPS, gaming, surfing and so on, I might come off charge at 7am and be back on 4 or 5 (or popping a spare battery). My record low was 7 hours, but that was a mad day... To be fair, this actually isn't bad for a top-end smartphone in 2014, but I do hear people sometimes claiming days on one charge - sorry, but if you get any more than 2 days on the G3, you're not really using it. Powerful phones with 3000mah batteries and 5.5" screens simply don't last that long.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
If you take away the fact it has a QHD display and just ask "is the Screen crisp and beautiful"? then one would have to say yes.

The battery life for its resolution is great and I get through the day without issue or worry I will run out if juice. if I'm travelling well you can simply fire in a spare. So thus I can't see why any complaints would arise, unless its a faulty device and its not holding charge.

I'm still really enjoying the G3 and Knock on and off is such a nifty idea, I prefer this over physical keys.

I have ordered the Note 4 but its a comparison review unit lol

Will still be keeping & using the G3 but my curiosity & slight addiction... I just had to purchases.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The screen is very overrated to me. Not really feeling the quality of it. The UI does stutter alot and the device gets hot. The 801 processor was a really bad move. Battery life is good though and the device charges really fast. The default keyboard is the best I have ever used which is one of the greatest strengths. Im still going to try out the Note 4 and see how well it stacks up now that the amoled screen can now show "natural" colors. Makes me believe that once the G4 hits, its probably going to hands down be the best phone of that year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital