09-07-2016 10:47 PM
27 12
tools
    Hi, I used to be an iphone user, I had my iphone 4 over four years! Finally I was able to upgrade and decided to switch to Android.

I got this LG G3 about a week ago and started noticing it was getting a little warm when I played games. (Deadman's Cross and Clash of Clans) Once it got pretty warm on the button, it was almost too hot to touch. SO I downloaded a temperature app and have been watching it but I don't know how HOT is too hot for my phone?

When it's idle it's around 105 F
    When I do reg. things like web, facebook, photos it's around 120 F - 130 F
    And when I game lightly it's at 140 F - 150 F and just recently I was gaming and it went up to 178 F

SO are these normal temperatures? I'm just worried and still have time to take it back if this is going to be a problem.

What are some dangerous temperatures I should be looking out for? Should I test it and play a game for a long time to see how hot it can get? Or should I be just keeping track and make sure I never over-use it... please help!

Thanks
    -Angelina
    10-09-2014 02:06 PM
    I am on my second LG G3 (and also came from an iPhone). The first one did the same thing as yours so I exchanged it for another one. However, my second one is reporting the same temperatures. Not sure if it is normal, but it doesn't seem to affect performance. So as long as it doesn't start shutting down on you, it should be fine.

Worst case scenario, you have to swap the device per your one year warranty.
    10-09-2014 02:40 PM
    That is really hot man.... Mine never gets over 100 unless it is in the sun running gps

Posted via the Android Central App
    allongo likes this.
    10-09-2014 03:36 PM
    That seams way too hot. I would contact customer service.
    10-09-2014 04:12 PM
    I have never seen numbers that high either. On stand-by it runs around 90, and heavy use like 105.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-09-2014 11:40 PM
    170 is definitely to hot the hottest I ever seen a phone get was 145 but I left the screen on while it was charging also this was a HTC DNA fbut I would not worry if it is between 100 and 130

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    10-10-2014 06:53 AM
    My kids g3 does not get that hot. I have the note 3, normal temp is around 80°, when it's being used hard I've seen it get up to 107°

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    10-10-2014 07:41 AM
    Wait guys!

I think it shows the CPU temperature - it's normal!
    For battery it isn't - but for CPU I tend to get the same.
    10-10-2014 08:53 AM
    Wait guys!

I think it shows the CPU temperature - it's normal!
    For battery it isn't - but for CPU I tend to get the same.
    When I said my phone was reporting the same numbers, I was also referring to the CPU. My battery never gets above 100.
    10-10-2014 11:27 AM
    ι ɗσ тнιѕ ѕнιт ⓛⓖ ⓖ3
    10-12-2014 12:44 PM
    Hi, I used to be an iphone user, I had my iphone 4 over four years! Finally I was able to upgrade and decided to switch to Android.

I got this LG G3 about a week ago and started noticing it was getting a little warm when I played games. (Deadman's Cross and Clash of Clans) Once it got pretty warm on the button, it was almost too hot to touch. SO I downloaded a temperature app and have been watching it but I don't know how HOT is too hot for my phone?

And when I game lightly it's at 140 F - 150 F and just recently I was gaming and it went up to 178 F

SO are these normal temperatures? I'm just worried and still have time to take it back if this is going to be a problem.

What are some dangerous temperatures I should be looking out for? Should I test it and play a game for a long time to see how hot it can get? Or should I be just keeping track and make sure I never over-use it... please help!

Thanks
    -Angelina
    Download an app called coolify it works but you have to be rooted. If you're not then I suppose your issue may be without remedy. My phone got hot when I did a lot of multitasking but that has all stopped. I flashed a ROM and use the mentioned app tho.

ι ɗσ тнιѕ ѕнιт ⓛⓖ ⓖ3
    10-12-2014 02:17 PM
    Thank you. I'd like to root my phone but i'm scared to do it. I heard that it could cause problems, something called bricking? I'm not familiar with Android enough so I don't want to ruin my phone since I just got it. My phone still gets a little hot but it hasn't caused any problems so I'm hoping it's ok.

Also does anyone know, if I do ever root my phone, how do I go about doing it? does it have to be phone specific?
    thanks
    11-17-2014 11:12 PM
    Rooting won't brick the phone, as long as you follow the directions. Its when people start messing with system files and such that can mess up the phone. I used towlroot and was rooted in 5 seconds. Just search the XDA forums, there will be plenty of helpful info over there.

Angelina Malone likes this.
    11-18-2014 01:46 AM
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2776198

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2821000

http://lifehacker.com/towelroot-root...o-p-1592226618

Found these doing a quick search. Again, I used towelroot and it worked perfectly.
    11-18-2014 01:52 AM
    What about those pop up messages on the screen when the phone gets too hot and it says it will shut down or whatever? Is that issue still happening or has LG fixed that? Thats one main reason i havent got the phone yet.
    11-18-2014 02:01 AM
    What about those pop up messages on the screen when the phone gets too hot and it says it will shut down or whatever? Is that issue still happening or has LG fixed that? Thats one main reason i havent got the phone yet.
    That's like "fixing" pain. The popups are telling you that something's wrong, they're a warning. Not shutting down when the phone gets too hot is like playing in traffic. The message gives you a little time to close an app you haven't saved data from, or close a game that's running the phone hard enough to get it that hot. You'd rather type for 15 minutes, then have the phone shut off, losing everything you've typed, with no advance warning?

@Angelina, just rooting basically installs 2 files and an app on the phone. Nothing changes with anything you've done with the phone so far (since none of the apps you run require root). It does allow you to run apps that can cause all kinds of havoc if you don't know what you're doing, but it's like the gas tank inlet of a car. Anyone can fill the tank without a problem, but if you want to see if there's gas in there, and it's dark, so you put a match into the fill tube ... Knives can be dangerous too, but they can be useful if you don't wave a big one around in a crowd.

Coolify won't cause any harm. It may cool your phone down. The worst it will do is nothing.
    11-18-2014 02:38 AM
    How do I find CPU temp?

Posted from my VZW LG G3
    JmpnJeronimo likes this.
    11-18-2014 06:00 PM
    Thank you that really helps me understand it better!
    11-22-2014 02:38 AM
    Stump Root worked for me. I downloaded the app, and it was virtually a two-click process (normally one-click, but it said there was a possiblility of my phone not being compatible, yadayadayada...and asked if I was sure I wanted to go ahead and perform the root, which I clicked yes) and 15 minutes later, I had a rooted phone, with zero issues.

I'm not sure how hot my phone got when I put my extended battery to the test. I left my screen on for 13 hours at maximum brightness. It was getting a bit warm towards the end, but it survived and I never did see any warnings flash up.
    11-22-2014 07:27 AM

Thanks
    -Angelina
    105F on idle and 140-178F when gaming? It sounds like you got a lemon. If it keeps doing that I suggest you return your unit while you still can.

When my phone is idle the temp is about 80-90F and when I play games the highest it goes is like 105-110F depending on the game.
    11-25-2014 08:10 PM

Thanks
    -Angelina
    Above the 130 degrees or above that you watching for can getting very hot when you playing some intense graphics, some app cause lagged due of too hot to handled. Hope your shiny dont let in steamy box or mention i said dont let your g3 getting cracked the egg on frying pan!

Posted via LG G3 Sprint
    11-29-2014 04:40 PM
    It's a bit off, but what apps do you guys use to measure the temperature?
    anon(6142785) likes this.
    12-01-2014 09:24 PM
    Hi Guys.
    I read most of your treads and I still don't understand why we would check for reference for any temperature difference.
    For me, if my Smartphone feel too hot to be comfortable in my hand, it is already a sign that there is a problem. I had a IPhone for 2 years and never got it to feel hot at any time while I was using it. Now, even if I like my LG G3 better than my old IPhone, I'm not the kind that play games on it. And I bought it first week of last September so it is not very old. And still, the other day, I just took it into my hand while it was charging, it felt hot a bit so I unplugged it and then 30min later, I hold it in my hand and it was very hot, even the heat transfert went to the surface of my desk and the battery went to 45%. It was pretty hot in my hand. So, nothing was happening at all, wasn't playing or doing anything with it, I was working on my laptop just aside. The other thing, did I miss something ? Something I didn't understand ? I like to read you guys but why if we are on Android Central we don't get answers from LG G3 maker or Android all together ? We, as customers, we can speculate about what is going on but what LG and Android have came together as an aswer to that problem ?
    04-18-2015 10:57 PM
    I have just installed cpu temp on my g3. Stock 5.0 16gb.

My temperature is consistently 130 deg F. Or higher. It easily goes up to 140 - 150 playing clash of clans.

Just checked and at the moment it is 140.

There is an analyze function in cpu temp. That shows an average temp per app.

Clash is 134
    Cup temp 131
    Nova 122
    Facebook 121
    04-19-2015 05:55 AM
    I had a LG G3 and it always seemed too hot. In fact, the screen kind of started going out while it was under warranty. I got a replacement. Even with what seemed to be a heat problem, I liked it so much that I recently upgraded to a LG G4. Better camera, color and brightness. But this time I do have Temp apps installed because this one seems even hotter! It runs between 107 - 118 on light duty and 122 - 135 for gaming ....mostly stays at 130 gaming. But it seems incredibly hot. I am surprised there isn't any easily obtained official specs on what the temperature should run.
    08-14-2015 05:37 PM
27 12