How hot is too hot for my LG G3 phone? What dangerous temperatures should I be aware of?

Angelina Malone

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I used to be an iphone user, I had my iphone 4 over four years! Finally I was able to upgrade and decided to switch to Android.

I got this LG G3 about a week ago and started noticing it was getting a little warm when I played games. (Deadman's Cross and Clash of Clans) Once it got pretty warm on the button, it was almost too hot to touch. SO I downloaded a temperature app and have been watching it but I don't know how HOT is too hot for my phone?

When it's idle it's around 105 F
When I do reg. things like web, facebook, photos it's around 120 F - 130 F
And when I game lightly it's at 140 F - 150 F and just recently I was gaming and it went up to 178 F

SO are these normal temperatures? I'm just worried and still have time to take it back if this is going to be a problem.

What are some dangerous temperatures I should be looking out for? Should I test it and play a game for a long time to see how hot it can get? Or should I be just keeping track and make sure I never over-use it... please help!

Thanks
-Angelina:)

CWirth

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I am on my second LG G3 (and also came from an iPhone). The first one did the same thing as yours so I exchanged it for another one. However, my second one is reporting the same temperatures. Not sure if it is normal, but it doesn't seem to affect performance. So as long as it doesn't start shutting down on you, it should be fine.

Worst case scenario, you have to swap the device per your one year warranty.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
That is really hot man.... Mine never gets over 100 unless it is in the sun running gps

Posted via the Android Central App

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I have never seen numbers that high either. On stand-by it runs around 90, and heavy use like 105.

Posted via Android Central App

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
170 is definitely to hot the hottest I ever seen a phone get was 145 but I left the screen on while it was charging also this was a HTC DNA fbut I would not worry if it is between 100 and 130

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My kids g3 does not get that hot. I have the note 3, normal temp is around 80°, when it's being used hard I've seen it get up to 107°

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Wait guys!

I think it shows the CPU temperature - it's normal!
For battery it isn't - but for CPU I tend to get the same.

CWirth

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Wait guys!

I think it shows the CPU temperature - it's normal!
For battery it isn't - but for CPU I tend to get the same.

When I said my phone was reporting the same numbers, I was also referring to the CPU. My battery never gets above 100.

viciousvon

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I used to be an iphone user, I had my iphone 4 over four years! Finally I was able to upgrade and decided to switch to Android.

I got this LG G3 about a week ago and started noticing it was getting a little warm when I played games. (Deadman's Cross and Clash of Clans) Once it got pretty warm on the button, it was almost too hot to touch. SO I downloaded a temperature app and have been watching it but I don't know how HOT is too hot for my phone?

And when I game lightly it's at 140 F - 150 F and just recently I was gaming and it went up to 178 F

SO are these normal temperatures? I'm just worried and still have time to take it back if this is going to be a problem.

What are some dangerous temperatures I should be looking out for? Should I test it and play a game for a long time to see how hot it can get? Or should I be just keeping track and make sure I never over-use it... please help!

Thanks
Download an app called coolify it works but you have to be rooted. If you're not then I suppose your issue may be without remedy. My phone got hot when I did a lot of multitasking but that has all stopped. I flashed a ROM and use the mentioned app tho.

ι ɗσ тнιѕ ѕнιт ⓛⓖ ⓖ3

Angelina Malone

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I'd like to root my phone but i'm scared to do it. I heard that it could cause problems, something called bricking? I'm not familiar with Android enough so I don't want to ruin my phone since I just got it. My phone still gets a little hot but it hasn't caused any problems so I'm hoping it's ok.

Also does anyone know, if I do ever root my phone, how do I go about doing it? does it have to be phone specific?
thanks

ajp8806

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Rooting won't brick the phone, as long as you follow the directions. Its when people start messing with system files and such that can mess up the phone. I used towlroot and was rooted in 5 seconds. Just search the XDA forums, there will be plenty of helpful info over there.

Posted via the Android Central App

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
What about those pop up messages on the screen when the phone gets too hot and it says it will shut down or whatever? Is that issue still happening or has LG fixed that? Thats one main reason i havent got the phone yet.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What about those pop up messages on the screen when the phone gets too hot and it says it will shut down or whatever? Is that issue still happening or has LG fixed that? Thats one main reason i havent got the phone yet.
That's like "fixing" pain. The popups are telling you that something's wrong, they're a warning. Not shutting down when the phone gets too hot is like playing in traffic. The message gives you a little time to close an app you haven't saved data from, or close a game that's running the phone hard enough to get it that hot. You'd rather type for 15 minutes, then have the phone shut off, losing everything you've typed, with no advance warning?

@Angelina, just rooting basically installs 2 files and an app on the phone. Nothing changes with anything you've done with the phone so far (since none of the apps you run require root). It does allow you to run apps that can cause all kinds of havoc if you don't know what you're doing, but it's like the gas tank inlet of a car. Anyone can fill the tank without a problem, but if you want to see if there's gas in there, and it's dark, so you put a match into the fill tube ... Knives can be dangerous too, but they can be useful if you don't wave a big one around in a crowd.

Coolify won't cause any harm. It may cool your phone down. The worst it will do is nothing.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Stump Root worked for me. I downloaded the app, and it was virtually a two-click process (normally one-click, but it said there was a possiblility of my phone not being compatible, yadayadayada...and asked if I was sure I wanted to go ahead and perform the root, which I clicked yes) and 15 minutes later, I had a rooted phone, with zero issues.

I'm not sure how hot my phone got when I put my extended battery to the test. I left my screen on for 13 hours at maximum brightness. It was getting a bit warm towards the end, but it survived and I never did see any warnings flash up.

jaypster

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

105F on idle and 140-178F when gaming? It sounds like you got a lemon. If it keeps doing that I suggest you return your unit while you still can.

When my phone is idle the temp is about 80-90F and when I play games the highest it goes is like 105-110F depending on the game.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital