LG G3 Top 1/4" of screen stopped working

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So today the top 1/4 inch of my screen stopped responding to touches.

That unfortunately includes the notification bar as well as the camera controls on the left.

Tried a reboot, but didn't work. Also tried a different launcher (nova) which didn't work either.

Is there any chance a reset would fix it, or is this definitely a hardware issue?

I hate resetting phones. Takes forever to get it set up again unless there's an easy way to restore everything exactly like it is that I don't know (I am rooted though)

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Re: Top 1/4" of screen stopped working

I hate factory reseting devices too but if you call your carrier support, that's the first thing they'll have you do. Just do it when you have some down time. We all know how long it takes to get back to where you were.

53N7 9R0M M4 G3

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Nah, can't return it. Wasn't insured and I smashed the screen once and had it replaced on September 3. Maybe take it back there (they guaranteed it for I think 30 days and I'm just a bit past that)

Sigh.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

You already had the screen replaced, it's almost certainly a hardware issue...

Posted via G3 on the Android Central App

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Well, it suddenly started working again yesterday, and haven't had issues since....

...I suspect there's a loose connection in there somewhere from having the screen replaced. I'm going to take it back to that place and see if they can check on it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Well, it suddenly started working again yesterday, and haven't had issues since....

...I suspect there's a loose connection in there somewhere from having the screen replaced. I'm going to take it back to that place and see if they can check on it.
Hope it works out!

Sent from an AOSP M8

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Perhaps Josue meant which version....or perhaps it was a case of forgetting where you are for a moment. I once fainted while undergoing minor surgery, and when I regained consciousness, I thought I was taking part in a French opera of the baroque era. It's an easy mistake to make.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Since you put it like that.......makes sense.

Perhaps Jos meant which version....or perhaps he forgot where he was for a moment. I once fainted while undergoing minor surgery, and when I regained consciousness, I thought I was taking part in a French opera of the baroque era. It's an easy mistake to make.

Posted via Android Central App

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

It stopped working again a couple days later. Took it back and they took it apart and reconnected the screen. Didn't make a difference, but they suggested letting the battery completely drain (not sure why) so I did that. Didn't work.

They were nice enough to extend their guarantee for me, and they've ordered a replacement screen which should be here next week.

One nice thing about smashing my screen before and having it replaced: No more Verizon logo on the front :)

I did post this next question in the accessories section, but it's not getting answered. Anyone know if it's possilbe to remove the Zagg tempered glass protector I have on my screen for transfer onto the new screen?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I have replaced glass screen protectors a few times.
First be very careful and slowly start at a corner (again slowly) and let the protector un-stick itself.
Here's where the problem starts, there is little chance that once removed it will stay lint free. If so, you can reapply (but probably not).
I spray Windex on the protector (does not remove the adhesive) let sit for a few seconds then rinse well with water.
Apply the protector as though it is a wet application protector and then squeegee the excess water. Make sure you put a towel at the edges to absorb the excess water, you do not want it getting in between the screen and phone edge.
I have a bit of OCD and cannot stand a protector that is not centered perfectly or lint/bubble free, therefore I am guilty of applying and reapplying both plastic and glass protectors until it is literally perfect. The glass protector I have now has been removed and reapplied twice.
No guarantees....good luck!

It stopped working again a couple days later. Took it back and they took it apart and reconnected the screen. Didn't make a difference, but they suggested letting the battery completely drain (not sure why) so I did that. Didn't work.

They were nice enough to extend their guarantee for me, and they've ordered a replacement screen which should be here next week.

One nice thing about smashing my screen before and having it replaced: No more Verizon logo on the front :)

I did post this next question in the accessories section, but it's not getting answered. Anyone know if it's possilbe to remove the Zagg tempered glass protector I have on my screen for transfer onto the new screen?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

^^ Thank you.

Also talked with a ZAGG customer service rep and he sent me a shipping thing, so if I break it or screw it up, he said to send it in and take advanage of the lifetime warranty thing (I was surprised this would be covered under that, but they have always seemed like a pretty decent company about it)

Let you know how it goes once I get the new screen next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol