LG G3 Desperate need of a good keyboard

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I am at my wits end trying to get a good keyboard which is as good as the iPhone keyboard.

I dunno why, but I can type just fine on a iPhone with little errors, but on Android with various keyboards I just cannot type worth a darn. In the past I've tried Swiftkey, Google Keyboard, Swype, and of course the LG keyboard, but none have the accuracy of the iPhone keyboard.

I'm not sure if it's the touch accuracy of the screen in Android or what, but I just don't get it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Desperate need of a good keyboard

Do you rely on tapping the keyboard to type? I find that tapping on any keyboard tends to be inaccurate--I much prefer gesture/swipe typing. Is this just not your preference?

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Do you rely on tapping the keyboard to type? I find that tapping on any keyboard tends to be inaccurate--I much prefer gesture/swipe typing. Is this just not your preference?

I've tried many times and swyping, but I just can't get the knack of it. I just type regular, in portrait mode with my index finger.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I keep coming back to Kii Keyboard. It allows you to adjust key spacing which helps prevent misses. And the key response appears to be faster than many.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.zl.inputmethod.latin&token=UGeNy1CK

Ya I think I might try out Kii again. I tried it out a few years back and it was pretty good. I'll see how that works out.

I think the real thing here when comparing keyboard accuracy on Android as opposed to iOS is that on the iPhone, it has more accurate touch response points in regards to the touch screen.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

My favorite keyboard has to be the Android L keyboard from Google.

It was pulled from the Play Store but you can download it here:
[APP][4.0+] Android L (5.0) - Launcher, Apps, Keyboard APK, Wallpapers, Fonts, System - Post #0 - XDA Forums

I think the real thing here when comparing keyboard accuracy on Android as opposed to iOS is that on the iPhone, it has more accurate touch response points in regards to the touch screen.

The touch screen only appears to be more accurate because the screen is smaller.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I really think the issue isn't the keyboard, but rather the OP's technique. All the keyboards he mentioned work fine for most of us. If they're not working for him, it's not because of inaccurate touch screen calibration (unless his phone is defective), but because he's not positioning his fingers correctly.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I really think the issue isn't the keyboard, but rather the OP's technique. All the keyboards he mentioned work fine for most of us. If they're not working for him, it's not because of inaccurate touch screen calibration (unless his phone is defective), but because he's not positioning his fingers correctly.

Muscle memory is probably playing a significant role in this problem.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

This doesn't work on any non-rooted G3 because Google keyboard is a system app that cannot be removed.

You can have both, no need to be rooted. The Android L keyboard is just another third party kb. I I've got them installed.

The L is quite good but I just went back to SwiftKey because I think it's the best when using different languages.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

To the person saying the OP's technique is wrong: Okay, Steve Jobs.

Posted via the Android Central App

Not trying to criticize or make fun of anyone, but if millions of people can type just fine on multiple Android keyboards, it really seems unlikely that the software is an issue. It seems much more likely that s/he needs to adapt to the way Android does things. As post 13 suggests, muscle memory may need to be unlearned and relearned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21