10-20-2014 09:49 AM
33 12
tools
    I am at my wits end trying to get a good keyboard which is as good as the iPhone keyboard.

I dunno why, but I can type just fine on a iPhone with little errors, but on Android with various keyboards I just cannot type worth a darn. In the past I've tried Swiftkey, Google Keyboard, Swype, and of course the LG keyboard, but none have the accuracy of the iPhone keyboard.

I'm not sure if it's the touch accuracy of the screen in Android or what, but I just don't get it.
    10-12-2014 11:21 PM
    Do you rely on tapping the keyboard to type? I find that tapping on any keyboard tends to be inaccurate--I much prefer gesture/swipe typing. Is this just not your preference?
    10-13-2014 12:06 AM
    Do you rely on tapping the keyboard to type? I find that tapping on any keyboard tends to be inaccurate--I much prefer gesture/swipe typing. Is this just not your preference?
    I've tried many times and swyping, but I just can't get the knack of it. I just type regular, in portrait mode with my index finger.
    10-13-2014 12:08 AM
    Have you tried Fleksy?
    PhilR8 likes this.
    10-13-2014 02:01 AM
    What about SwiftKey?

Sent from my Verizon LG G3
    10-13-2014 05:26 AM
    I keep coming back to Kii Keyboard. It allows you to adjust key spacing which helps prevent misses. And the key response appears to be faster than many.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=GnricpSz
    10-13-2014 09:23 AM
    What about SwiftKey?

OP already mentioned trying SwiftKey ...
    10-13-2014 10:27 AM
    I really like Thumb Keyboard by Beansoft.
    It is in the Play Store.

Mav.
    10-13-2014 10:42 AM
    I keep coming back to Kii Keyboard. It allows you to adjust key spacing which helps prevent misses. And the key response appears to be faster than many.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=UGeNy1CK
    Ya I think I might try out Kii again. I tried it out a few years back and it was pretty good. I'll see how that works out.

I think the real thing here when comparing keyboard accuracy on Android as opposed to iOS is that on the iPhone, it has more accurate touch response points in regards to the touch screen.
    10-13-2014 11:33 AM
    My favorite keyboard has to be the Android L keyboard from Google.

It was pulled from the Play Store but you can download it here:
    [APP][4.0+] Android L (5.0) - Launcher, Apps, Keyboard APK, Wallpapers, Fonts, System - Post #0 - XDA Forums

I think the real thing here when comparing keyboard accuracy on Android as opposed to iOS is that on the iPhone, it has more accurate touch response points in regards to the touch screen.
    The touch screen only appears to be more accurate because the screen is smaller.
    10-13-2014 12:15 PM
    OP already mentioned trying SwiftKey ...
    Lol.... I didn't read it the first time lol

10-13-2014 12:56 PM
    I really think the issue isn't the keyboard, but rather the OP's technique. All the keyboards he mentioned work fine for most of us. If they're not working for him, it's not because of inaccurate touch screen calibration (unless his phone is defective), but because he's not positioning his fingers correctly.
    Jaylw09 likes this.
    10-13-2014 01:00 PM
    I really think the issue isn't the keyboard, but rather the OP's technique. All the keyboards he mentioned work fine for most of us. If they're not working for him, it's not because of inaccurate touch screen calibration (unless his phone is defective), but because he's not positioning his fingers correctly.
    Muscle memory is probably playing a significant role in this problem.
    10-13-2014 01:27 PM
    I had the same problem as you, and the one I think it's close enough is Flesky

Posted via Android Central App
    10-13-2014 03:59 PM
    Have you tried Fleksy?
    Agree with Fleksy - by far the best keyboard I've tried. No swyping is no problem for me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-13-2014 05:43 PM
    To the person saying the OP's technique is wrong: Okay, Steve Jobs.

10-13-2014 05:44 PM
    My favorite keyboard has to be the Android L keyboard from Google.

It was pulled from the Play Store but you can download it here:
    [APP][4.0+] Android L (5.0) - Launcher, Apps, Keyboard APK, Wallpapers, Fonts, System - Post #0 - XDA Forums

The touch screen only appears to be more accurate because the screen is smaller.
    This doesn't work on any non-rooted G3 because Google keyboard is a system app that cannot be removed.
    10-13-2014 07:38 PM
    This doesn't work on any non-rooted G3 because Google keyboard is a system app that cannot be removed.
    Is it? I thought I installed this before I even rooted.
    10-14-2014 09:55 AM
    You can have both, no need to be rooted. The Android L keyboard is just another third party kb. I I've got them installed.

The L is quite good but I just went back to SwiftKey because I think it's the best when using different languages.
    xocomaox likes this.
    10-14-2014 11:58 AM
    To the person saying the OP's technique is wrong: Okay, Steve Jobs.

Not trying to criticize or make fun of anyone, but if millions of people can type just fine on multiple Android keyboards, it really seems unlikely that the software is an issue. It seems much more likely that s/he needs to adapt to the way Android does things. As post 13 suggests, muscle memory may need to be unlearned and relearned.
    10-14-2014 03:41 PM
    You can have both, no need to be rooted. The Android L keyboard is just another third party kb. I I've got them installed.

The L is quite good but I just went back to SwiftKey because I think it's the best when using different languages.
    Tell me how you were able to install it then. When I try to install the Android L keyboard APK it tells me that I cannot because it's not able to overwrite the signature of Google Keyboard which is a system app on the G3.

You may have been able to update to the L keyboard while it was available on the Play Store, but you cannot do it now from the APK posted here:

Maybe you are using a different third party android L keyboard. The one in the link is an official update from Google Play that adds a material skin to the official Google Keyboard. If the Google Keyboard is a system app on your phone it will not work.
    10-14-2014 07:28 PM
    That's right. I installed the L keyboard from the Play Store.
    10-14-2014 07:34 PM
    I did a little search and you are right, again. You MUST uninstall Google keyboard if you want to install the L kb APK, now that is not anymore in the play store. For some devices you need root access to do that. My bad. 😑
    10-14-2014 10:09 PM
    I did a little search and you are right, again. You MUST uninstall Google keyboard if you want to install the L kb APK, now that is not anymore in the play store. For some devices you need root access to do that. My bad.
    Hah, no worries. I missed the chance at the L style Google Keyboard when it was up on the Play Store, and now I can't get it since I'm not rooted. I'm not really interested in rooting my phone, so it is what it is. I'm sure with all of the material style updates coming it won't take long until we see the L style keyboard on the Play Store again anyways.
    Javier P likes this.
    10-14-2014 10:26 PM
    Not trying to criticize or make fun of anyone, but if millions of people can type just fine on multiple Android keyboards, it really seems unlikely that the software is an issue. It seems much more likely that s/he needs to adapt to the way Android does things. As post 13 suggests, muscle memory may need to be unlearned and relearned.
    Okay, Steve Jobs. Everyone is different. Isn't choice one of the oft-touted strengths of Android? There are a lot of keyboard options out there that do not require people to unlearn or adapt. Like I mentioned about, I dislike the google keyboard but find Fleksy to be very easy to use. Works great for me, no need to adapt to a single way of doing things.
    10-16-2014 08:10 PM
33 12