LG G3 and Android L

bmazoka

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know or has there been any news about LG updating the G3 to Android 5 when it comes out?

I'm looking at getting a new phone and am deciding between the LG and new Nexus. I think I will go for the LG if its getting 5.0..

Thanks!

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Latest info I have seen is that it will be announced/released to the Nexus line on Nov 1st.
Thinking we will see it in the new year. Probably during the 1st Quarter.

Mav. :cool:

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
One would assume so. Unfortunately, from what I have heard LG does not have a good track record when it comes to updating their phones. I am hoping this changes since they are trying to establish themselves as an alternative choice in the Android market.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Now that the bootloader is unlocked (work-around) we can hopefully just flash the 5.0 when the image becomes available.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Also, unfortunately, LG has very little power over the carriers.
They will give the update to each carrier and then they will test it before releasing it to the masses.

Mav. :cool:

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Also, unfortunately, LG has very little power over the carriers.
They will give the update to each carrier and then they will test it before releasing it to the masses.

This is in the best interest of the carriers, and I agree with them. On a massive software upgrade, they should be quality testing the version on their network with their features before implementing to the masses. This is the opposite of what I want of course but it does make sense, after all the kicking and screaming. :p

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If getting "L" quickly is your priority, nothing will get it faster than a Nexus. The Nexus 6 first, then the 5 next. Fastest behind Nexus is likely to be Motorola, especially if you buy the unlocked version directly from them.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That will likely be the non-carrier versions. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc., will then take that code base, add their bloat, and test it before releasing it in the U.S. Given Verizon's history, Lollipop won't show up on big red for several months or more.

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
How quick is TMO on Android OS updates? I'm coming from Windows Phone, and they have yet to update those to 8.1 or Cyan.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
HTC just announced M8 & M7 will be updated to Lolipop in 90 days. Expect carriers to roll out the update to G3 in February.
If you can't live with that - some options... root and install a custom rom when available, or get a Nexus.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere LG said lollipop will come out to g3 by Christmas time. But like someone said well have to wait for the carriers to take it and add their own crap. Can't wait to disable the AT&T bloatware with Titanium Backup. (yes I'm rooted) 😄

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere LG said lollipop will come out to g3 by Christmas time. But like someone said well have to wait for the carriers to take it and add their own crap. Can't wait to disable the AT&T bloatware with Titanium Backup. (yes I'm rooted) ������

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

A couple of European LG companies said in December. There's been no official word from LG America. But whenever the carrier versions get here, you may have to wait even longer to be able to root Lollipop. If the bootloader on your version is locked, Lollipop makes it a LOT harder to root. Devs are going to have to come up with a whole new approach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34