G3 NFC / Qi idea

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd share how I'm using NFC with my G3. I like to use my phone as a bedside clock while charging overnight, and the app I've long enjoyed for this is Alarm Clock Plus (ACP). When using a USB charger I can set my phone to keep the screen on while charging, but charging with Qi does not obey the screen-on setting in developer options, the screen turns off after charging begins. I resolved this issue by using Llama to keep the screen on when ACP is running.

I have a variable morning schedule that requires different wake-up times, so when I go to bed at night I have to start ACP, set an alarm time, and the put it on the Qi charger – and this is where NFC comes in. I purchased some NFC tags and used Trigger to set different wake up times for tags I stick to the inside of my bathroom medicine cabinet door. I have several of these tags placed and it works like this (for example) for my 6:00am alarm: I hold my phone against the tag labeled “6:00” and Trigger sets an alarm for 6:00am and starts ACP. I then place the phone on my Qi charger and after the phone starts charging and the screen turns off, Llama turns it back on and ACP displays the time. So the only decision I need to make before bedtime is which wake-up tag to hold the phone up to, everything else is automatic.

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Very cool!
Had a similar issue; used Tasker to create a scenario where screen simply stays on while wireless charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol