exchange S5 for g3?

Ashapiro409

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,
I've just made the big switch from apple to android, having purchased a galaxy s5 a few days ago. Although I love the device I'm considering exchanging it for a g3. Now I know this is subject has been beaten into the ground a bit (I've been skimming the forums) but I'm hoping some of you might have some insight for me anyway.
I'm thinking about switching because even after the restocking fee the LG g3 is considerably cheaper than the s5 om verizon . I like the way the phone feels in the hand, it has more screen in a small body, knock on code, calmer colors and I prefer the camera.
I'm hesitant because battery life and viewability in sunlight are important to me (I travel often) and I've read some less than stellar reports about the G3 in these areas. I also think "well, I already have the s5 in hand, maybe I shouldn't bother."
I would really love to hear some input, perhaps some folks who have experience with both or have done an exchange for either.
many thanks!!
Abi

Posted via the Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi abi firstly you will get mixed reports in regards to battery. That said my experience has been very positive and will easily get through a day. My use ranges from mid-high and often the latter and average a screen on time of anything between 4 1/2 to 6hrs screen on time (average 5hrs).

Secondly the outdoor visibility well this is where there is short comings. Its not poor by any means but its not great either. I have had no difficulties however, but sun is not a common sight in Scotland lol

I of course would recommend the G3 its a great device.

But the decision is yours and yours only :)

jrb7561

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I own a G3 and my girlfriend has an S5 so I'm quite familiar with both. With regards to the issues you're raised you'd honestly be taking a step backwards. The S5 can get much brighter than the G3 thus making visibility outdoors easier. Also, on average my girlfriend gets anywhere from 45 min to an hour more in onscreen time in any given day. That said, the battery life and screen brightness are more than adequate with the G3. The S5 just happens to be better in that area.

What you will gain making the switch is easily the best form factor in any phone currently, the G3 feels amazing for a large screen phone due to the small bezels, and it has much better software than the S5. As far as cameras go, the phones trade blows. Personally I think the G3 is an overall better camera because it does much better in low-light however outside in bright conditions the S5 is slightly better. They're both very good cell cameras however. Anyway, it's really a preference issue and up to you.

Posted via Android Central App

Daniel P1

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,
I've just made the big switch from apple to android, having purchased a galaxy s5 a few days ago. Although I love the device I'm considering exchanging it for a g3. Now I know this is subject has been beaten into the ground a bit (I've been skimming the forums) but I'm hoping some of you might have some insight for me anyway.
I'm thinking about switching because even after the restocking fee the LG g3 is considerably cheaper than the s5 om verizon . I like the way the phone feels in the hand, it has more screen in a small body, knock on code, calmer colors and I prefer the camera.
I'm hesitant because battery life and viewability in sunlight are important to me (I travel often) and I've read some less than stellar reports about the G3 in these areas. I also think "well, I already have the s5 in hand, maybe I shouldn't bother."
I would really love to hear some input, perhaps some folks who have experience with both or have done an exchange for either.
many thanks!!
Abi

The brightness on the LG g3 is very weak under sunlight. The knock code is reliable but not nearly as secure as LG claims it to be. Fingerprint on the S5 is much better.

Daniel P1

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,
many thanks!!
Abi

Honestly I would keep the S5.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Simple answer, both phones have their shortcomings and exceptional features, etc. What is the ABSOLUTE most important thing to you....keep or get that one, done.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The LG G3 now has an unlocked bootloader.
The GS5 will never have one.

I personally will never buy another Samsung phone because of the way Samsung treats customers.
KNOX, SHA256 on the bootloaders, trying to root can invalidate your warranty.....

Nuff said. Get the LG.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have used both the s5 and the g3. I own a g3...screen size and form factor are big pluses when considering this phone. The camera is excellent and the battery life has been fantastic for me. At the end of the day it always comes down to personal preferences. Take the g3 for a test drive...

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the S5 as well and I loved it but kept the G3 because of the 5.5"/Body ratio.

Also, I had a buyer and I couldn't pass up $650 (package deal), which will go towards the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I really don't think there's a huge difference in battery life between the two. There is no question, however, that the S5 screen is much better in bright daylight. Not only does it go into a extra-bright mode, but the screen suffers less from reflection than the G3's LCD display. I have a G3, and like it a lot, but the S5's screen is definitely superior (my son has an S5). Note the the S5 has settings that let you tone down the extra vivid color of that display.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The LG G3 now has an unlocked bootloader.
The GS5 will never have one.
Nuff said. Get the LG.

Huh? I don't know about other versions, but the Sprint S5 is eminently unlocked and rootable. If you mean that Knox will detect and report that you rooted your phone, yes, but that's not even close to being locked.