1.8 am but still slow charging

tripled1

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
So, I bought an extra charger from ebay that say 1.8amp. But, I still get the slow charge message when I charge. What gives? Is there another feature a charger has to have or did I get bunk chargers?

For the record, the OEM charger is great.

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried your new charger with the OEM cable? While all cables look more or less the same, the cable must also meet spec (Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0).

I am using Samsung 1.8A chargers and cables that work fine with my G2/G3, but I also have a drawer full of cables and chargers that; while they work, don't all quick charge. I'm at the point now where I have enough "good" chargers and cables that I can throw the oldies out -- but old habits die hard (slow charge > no charge).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Exactly what charger? Please post a link.

You may have run into the Apple vs. everyone else approach to detecting whether the device is attached to a computer USB port or a charger.

In short, the USB standard was not initially designed to charge devices, it was designed to connect devices to computers. The standard calls for computer USB ports to supply 500mAmps (half an amp). That's plenty for keyboards, mice and most computer peripherals. But modern electronic devices can draw far more than that, and potentially damage the USB port on a computer if they try to draw too much current.

So the industry had to figure out a way for devices to tell if they're connected to a PC (in which case they'll only draw 500mA) or an AC charger, in which case they can draw much more. Since AC chargers don't use the two data connectors, the industry approach was for chargers to short the two data connectors. A phone can recognize that the data connections are shorted, and switch to a higher charging current mode.

Apple, of course, ignored this standard industry approach, and selected a different method on which they could get a patent, and charge licensing fees for other companies to use. So a charger designed for iPhones won't short the data connectors, and your phone will think it's connected to a PC.

IF that's your problem, you can work around it by buying a charge-only cable, instead of a charge & sync cable. You can check what kind of cable you have by using it to connect your phone to your PC. If your PC recognizes the phone, and the phone switches to MTP mode, you have a sync cable. If not, you have a charge-only cable.

Unfortunately, a great many aftermarket chargers are designed to be Apple compatible, even if they don't say so.

tripled1

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Meyerweb, the ebay ad says "OEM LG 1.8A Output Wall Travel Adapter w 10 Ft Micro USB Data Sync Charger Cable". I can't post the lync because I'm still under 10 posts. But, I guess the Data Sync part tells the story. Thanks.

jshadow

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Did you try another USB cable? I had a bad cable that caused this problem. I almost threw out the charger before I tried it with another USB cable.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue and thought it was my car charger and tried multiple USB cables. Bought a different charger and it works much better but someone suggested that I read up on charge only cables so I did and picked up one. I tried it again on the supposed bad charger and no issues anymore. Try charge only cables. Ever since that request from a user to read on it, I did and it caused less headaches.

Sent from my VZW LG G3 (tapatalk)

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I got a charger from eBay that had the same wording .... It didn't do the job. Buy a true oem cable and charger.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc