10-29-2014 06:36 AM
35 12
tools
    I'm so annoyed. I was hoping I could just get an actual phone that doesn't give me grief out of the box and move on with life. Apparently, not so much.

So I've been 85% pleased with my G3 since purchase. I have the exact same apps on it as my Moto X (2013) and I've never had an issue with battery drain or phone crashing.

Unfortunately, I'm having BOTH these issues on the G3 lately.

1. Crashing: I keep getting the following messages
    "Home screen has stopped working" - and the only thing that fixes it is a reboot
    "You are low on available memory" - except I have 27GB of the phone memory left, never mind the SD card of another 30GB.

2. Battery: My battery drains about 10% for ever 20 minutes of use, and by "use" I mean me doing searches and reading things on Google chrome, while all the background apps have been cleared. Literally, the minute I start to read something on Chrome, my battery goes from 100% to 90% in 15-20 minutes. And this goes on until it runs out in about a few hours.

I called LG, they were completely unhelpful, except to say that I should try my phone in Safe Mode and see if that helps the battery issue. I just tried it and the battery didn't drain. Of course, Safe Mode means you have nothing really running on your phone much, such as the standard apps (mail, twitter, Facebook), so obviously it won't drain as fast. But I want a phone that can actually keep up with my Moto X 2013, which never had this issue?

3. Voice calling: I know, you'll blame my carrier, but one of the reasons I even bought a new phone is because I wanted even better voice quality. On the Moto X, maybe 1 out of 10 phone calls indoors would say I was cutting out. On this phone, everyone complains that I'm always cutting out indoors. Seriously?

I have 4 days left to return this phone. I've tried clearing cache, uninstalling unnecessary apps, and just...I'm frustrated. Why can't it work? And why doesn't LG stand behind their phone (their idea was for me to send my phone to them for repairs - yea, brand new phone, let's repair it already, no thanks!).

So, what do I do? Please don't suggest a hard reset. I mean, that's as bad as the cable internet company suggesting unplugging/replugging the power outlet every time. And I'm not doing it on this phone because setting up my work and personal emails alone took an hour. I don't have all this time to waste on phones.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

If this doesn't work out, I was considering the HTC M8 but I've had antenna issues with that brand before. Or I could wait for the Z3. Or I could just stick with my Moto X and forget about all the hype.

Serious suggestions, please?
    10-26-2014 03:17 AM
    Cutting out is from how you are holding phone not from signal. All big phones have this issue you must speak onto bottom Mic. Home screen redraw due to low memory is low ram not actual memory you must have a rouge app running go to settings then running apps if not your phone providers tech support can Easily fix this for you.

The G3 is the best phone on the market there is no reason to have these problems.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-26-2014 03:32 AM
    Cutting out is from how you are holding phone not from signal. All big phones have this issue you must speak onto bottom Mic. Home screen redraw due to low memory is low ram not actual memory you must have a rouge app running go to settings then running apps if not your phone providers tech support can Easily fix this for you.

The G3 is the best phone on the market there is no reason to have these problems.

I just checked the running apps, as you suggested, and I have nothing unusual running (Facebook, Touchpal keyboard, voicemail, Google Play services, Android System, Maildroid, Where's My Droid). It says I'm using 1.3 GB and only 1.5 GB free. So why is it running low on memory? If I call tech support, they always say, "factory reset".

As far as mic, I speak into the bottom mic, sometimes I'll even shout into it when people are like, "Are you still there?" So...I don't know?
    10-26-2014 03:36 AM
    Why not take the LG back and get a Moto X 2014? I mean your're having a lot of issues with your LG G3. There's nothing wrong with going back to something familiar.

Just a suggestion.
    10-26-2014 05:01 AM
    Why not take the LG back and get a Moto X 2014? I mean your're having a lot of issues with your LG G3. There's nothing wrong with going back to something familiar.

Just a suggestion.
    Sprint doesn't offer Moto 2014. I'm now eyeing the Nexus 6, but wow that phone is LARGE.
    10-26-2014 05:03 AM
    I just checked the running apps, as you suggested, and I have nothing unusual running (Facebook, Touchpal keyboard, voicemail, Google Play services, Android System, Maildroid, Where's My Droid). It says I'm using 1.3 GB and only 1.5 GB free. So why is it running low on memory? If I call tech support, they always say, "factory reset".

As far as mic, I speak into the bottom mic, sometimes I'll even shout into it when people are like, "Are you still there?" So...I don't know?
    If you think returning it for another phone is easier than resetting then do it.

10-26-2014 06:54 AM
    My own diagnosis, like doggy's, and perhaps LG's judging by their Safe Mode suggestion, is a rogue app causing trouble. Perhaps also your SD card is bad.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-26-2014 07:37 AM
    My own diagnosis, like doggy's, and perhaps LG's judging by their Safe Mode suggestion, is a rogue app causing trouble. Perhaps also your SD card is bad.

I only just put the SD card in, but the battery issue has been ongoing since day 1. As for rogue app, what other ways can I discover it without resetting phone? I've been on Chrome for the past hour and my charge has gone down 30%. Crazy.
    10-26-2014 07:48 AM
    Okay it's not the SD card.
    I'll just give you a bit of a laugh about Chrome to cheer you up a bit. A few days ago, when my Chrome usage for the previous 15 days was about 310Mb, I used Chrome briefly then switched the phone off. An hour or two later I got a data usage warning, and on checking the data usage found that Chrome had shot to the top of the list at about 1.6Gb. Are your sides splitting? Mine were. What joy, to have used 1.3Gb unawares, from using Chrome that day hardly at all. That's a pretty good one, you've got to admit.
    But to return to your battery problem, if when you entered Safe Mode you found that the battery did not drain abnormally, then so far as I can see it must be one or more of the third-party apps you've installed that's causing the drain. Did you get the drain when the phone was new, before you'd installed any third-parties, or did you install them pretty much straightaway?
    Also, what do your battery stats reveal to be the biggest user of charge, apart from Screen which normally uses most?

HollyDolly likes this.
    10-26-2014 08:10 AM
    Have sprint replace the phone. Might be a bad handset. Easier than dealing with LG.

I've never had a problem exchanging phones with AT&T. Especially within the old 30 day policy (now it's 14 days)

10-26-2014 08:33 AM
    I absolutely love my G3 and i haven't had any problems like this.. My battery life last as it should considering the screen size and I'm on it pretty heavy.. To be honest if i traded this phone in for a different device i would probably regret it

HollyDolly likes this.
    10-26-2014 08:48 AM
    Get it replaced, trade for something different....obviously this one isn't working out.
    HollyDolly likes this.
    10-26-2014 09:22 AM
    @belodion

True, but I clear cache on everything all the time. And weather is right under screen for highest battery usage.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    belodion likes this.
    10-26-2014 12:55 PM
    Have sprint replace the phone. Might be a bad handset. Easier than dealing with LG.

I've never had a problem exchanging phones with AT&T. Especially within the old 30 day policy (now it's 14 days)

Yea, no problem in trading it out but that gives me 3 days under 14 day return policy and I'm traveling next week.

10-26-2014 12:56 PM
    @belodion

True, but I clear cache on everything all the time. And weather is right under screen for highest battery usage.

You haven't got GPS Location reporting on by any chance?

10-26-2014 01:28 PM
    You haven't got GPS Location reporting on by any chance?

No, I've turned that off. My battery just dropped 15% since I posted that last message.
    belodion likes this.
    10-26-2014 01:30 PM
    HollyDolly,

I've had similar issues with my wife's G3 when she got it. Poor battery life and performance. I was more annoyed by it since my OG X was performing way better than a high end flagship phone. As a last ditch effort, I disabled all VZW bloat and changed to Nova launcher. After doing this, the phones performance and battery life improved dramatically. Try doing the Nova (or any other 3rd party) launcher to see if that fixes some of your issues. I know it helped our situation out. As for your call quality, I would pin it on your carrier. I had the '13 X and now have the '14 X and both of those phones have excellent signal and call quality. The G3 seems to be on par with the X's. Good luck!
    10-26-2014 01:38 PM
    HollyDolly,

I've had similar issues with my wife's G3 when she got it. Poor battery life and performance. I was more annoyed by it since my OG X was performing way better than a high end flagship phone. As a last ditch effort, I disabled all VZW bloat and changed to Nova launcher. After doing this, the phones performance and battery life improved dramatically. Try doing the Nova (or any other 3rd party) launcher to see if that fixes some of your issues. I know it helped our situation out. As for your call quality, I would pin it on your carrier. I had the '13 X and now have the '14 X and both of those phones have excellent signal and call quality. The G3 seems to be on par with the X's. Good luck!
    Thanks. I'm even thinking to get a replacement or just go with a different brand. I tried the Nova launcher when I first got the phone but decided I liked LG's UI better. I've disabled loads of things and my Sprint G3 didn't come with too much bloatware. But I'll see what I can do.
    10-26-2014 01:41 PM
    If it's one thing I've learned on these forums, its that not every phone is for everyone. Good luck, hope your next phone is better, whatever it'll be.
    saichick04 and HollyDolly like this.
    10-26-2014 01:46 PM
    I just installed GSam battery monitor and here's what it looks like. Seems, aside from the screen, Android is hogging resources...WTH?
    Attached Thumbnails Day 10 on G3 - A Few Problems-uploadfromtaptalk1414349307332.jpg   Day 10 on G3 - A Few Problems-uploadfromtaptalk1414349316048.jpg  
    10-26-2014 01:49 PM
    Screen is just a complete battery muncher, and it's only set to 42% brightness
    Attached Thumbnails Day 10 on G3 - A Few Problems-uploadfromtaptalk1414349668851.jpg  
    10-26-2014 01:54 PM
    I only just put the SD card in, but the battery issue has been ongoing since day 1. As for rogue app, what other ways can I discover it without resetting phone? I've been on Chrome for the past hour and my charge has gone down 30%. Crazy.
    Delete it Uninstall the Facebook app, that is a known battery killer. Better to login from a browser.

10-26-2014 07:56 PM
    Get gsm battery monitor and do a hard reset

10-26-2014 08:03 PM
    I just installed GSam battery monitor and here's what it looks like. Seems, aside from the screen, Android is hogging resources...WTH?
    I wouldn't get worried about the Android system usage. The battery monitor only had 3 minutes worth of data. Even the battery monitor app took 13% (the most) in that 3 minutes. You need an average days' of use to gather good data. And depending on your 'screen on time', any screen will be a battery hog. Some phones are just worse than some.
    10-26-2014 08:05 PM
    Edit: Odd double post
    10-26-2014 08:05 PM
35 12