I'm upgrading in the next few days. Been on a original Moto X. I love the phone, but the battery is bad. They replaced it once, and now it drains crazy fast! I do live and work in Low Signal area for AT&T, so I know that affects it some. The G3 is attractive in large part due to the removable battery, along with other things for sure. Can anyone tell me about real world battery drain with the G3? Anybody gone from the original moto x to the g3?? I use Nova Launcher, is there lag on it like is talked about with the G3 Launcher? It's between this and the new moto x, but I just don't think the new X can keep up battery wise. Would love any thoughts. Thanks!!
    10-27-2014 10:06 AM
    Welcome.
    No problems with the battery on my G3.
    Nova works very well also with no problems.
    I have no experience with the Moto line but I would recommend the G3.

Mav.
    10-27-2014 10:32 AM
    I read about plenty of lag solutions so that shouldnt be a problem for you. (ART mode, nova, etc)

As for battery, the claims seem inconsistent. plenty have great battery life and plenty bad BL. One thing i know for sure is that the 2014 X battery is not as good as the G3's.

Good Luck!!!
    10-27-2014 10:32 AM
    Thanks for the info. I keep seeing both extremes on battery too. Can't be worse than i'm getting now on the old Moto X. Down to 36% after unplugging 6hrs ago. lol Plus, the removable battery should help greatly!
    10-27-2014 10:34 AM
    I'm on t-mobile, but I haven't had any battery drain - just battery depletion from using it. If you're not pounding on it hard with games and video the standby time is incredible. My wife has an original moto x and the battery life is not as good as my G3. Even with her light use, we often end the day at the same % Screen on time for her og Moto X is around 2.5 - 3hrs and my G3 usually gets just over 4.
    I run Nova Launcher on my G3 and it feels very fast and more fluid than the stock launcher.
    The form factor and camera of the G3 is amazing just like everyone says. I could be tempted with the new moto x because of the software customizations though!
    10-27-2014 10:43 AM
    No battery drain on my LG g3.I get a full day heavy use. I have also bought an original new spare battery.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-27-2014 11:06 AM
    A big concern for me when considering the the moto x was the fact that it only comes with one radio. It only has a 4g radio because it was designed to be used on volte. It can't do simultaneous voice and data until volte starts up and volte is expected to have its fair share of problems. The g3 is volte capable and has both radios and can do simultaneous voice and data without using volte. I would research volte if I were contemplating the x. I had the original moto x and loved it but I also love the g3.
    huntnyc likes this.
    10-27-2014 11:23 AM
    Thanks, never even considered that. I do like the X, almost stock android and the active screen stuff. But, battery was a huge problem, as was the camera. G3 def has better camera, and apparently better battery life than the new X. Knowing the VOLTE thing, that's another mark in the pro for G3. Thanks.
    10-27-2014 12:45 PM
    I am using the stock ROM and feel ok with it, the battery is not bad for me.
    10-27-2014 05:09 PM
    Low signal drains G3 alsoo. I work in similar area and I own g3. Far more worse than 4G. Other than that Battery is more than good. Camera is great fast with good pics, not much bad ones and it can be very fast. Screen can look phantastic but autobrightness still sucks. Great phone anyway and it will get android 5 probably before 2015.
    10-27-2014 07:46 PM
    I moved from the original Moto X to the G3 so I can provide a direct comparison. G3 camera is awesome, you realize just how bad the original X was after using the G3. I'm in a good signal area so my battery life has been similar between the phones. When I first got the G3, the battery life was bad at work. I turned off the knock code and it greatly improved. I really miss active notifications from the X. If the X had a 64gb option I would probably switch back. The screen on the G3 is good but doesn't warrant all the praise. Also, my G3 has been laggy. I disabled the LG keyboard and it helped, but it still has lag with lists. The G3 is not a bad phone but it leaves me wishing for more.
    10-27-2014 08:16 PM
    Battery life on my g3 is great. I had a moto x prior. The camera is 10x better. The only things you will miss is the active notifications, always listening for Google now and car mode. The g3 has a great display, amazing camera, excellent battery life and decent stock skin. LG is running a promotion for a free charger and spare battery also.

Posted via the Android Central App
    huntnyc likes this.
    10-27-2014 08:57 PM
    Replacing the stock launcher with Nova, and the stock keyboard with almost anything, will solve most of the lag issues people complain about.

Battery life is extremely dependent on screen on-time and brightness. I typically get to 25 - 30% with 13-14 hours total and 3 1/2 to 4 hours screen on time. I like the screen brighter than some, as there are plenty of people who get better life than that.
    10-27-2014 11:03 PM
    If you miss active notifications then download this and problem is solved. Better than the original.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...chep.acdisplay
    huntnyc likes this.
    10-28-2014 05:47 AM
    Looks nice but I've tried similar apps on LCD screens and the result is excess battery drain. AMOLED screens with black backgrounds for notifications work well.
    10-28-2014 11:26 AM
    If there is one thing I have to say from the OG X to the G3 is the size of the phone. If you are used to and love the small form factor of the OG X, then the G3 will seem very large. Other than that, the camera is a lot better on the G3. I do recommend changing out the stock launcher for a 3rd party (Nova, AW, etc..) as this helped with battery life and performance of the phone. When my wife first got the G3, I wouldn't recommend the phone. Once I changed the launcher, it's been a completely different phone. The G3 should be on everyone's list if they are looking for a large screen phone.
    huntnyc likes this.
    10-28-2014 11:45 AM
    I came from Blackberry to the G3, so was used to getting great battery performance on my Z30. One of the main selling points of the G3 was the removable battery.

Overall, I think the battery is fine. I have posted on here before about the claims of only getting 5 hours, and those at the other end of the spectrum supposedly getting days and days. If you get 5 hours, you eiether have a faulty phone, rogue apps or you just have a permanent video loop going on. Equally, the claims of 2 or 3 days can only mean threadbare usage. 2014 high-end smartphones with 3000mah batteries do not last days and days if you actually use them.

I hammer my G3 to and from work 5 days a week - gaming, texts, e-mails & watching vids (DL ones in the trains tunnel - streamed out side... ). I also make 5-10 calls a day, albeit quite brief, very occasional mapping (this does kill the battery hugely - 20-30%ph sometimes), checking news, weather - and so on.

I unplug at 5.30am most days and I'm usually at 5-10% by 10pm. Of course, there are days when I'm dead by 6, but that's where a spare battery is a life saver.

Overall, I've found little or no lag, although I realise others have had more issues with this, but there are options such as switching to ART, Nova Launcher. I've also just read a post about changing the animation scale, which apparently helps too.

Get a G3!
    10-29-2014 09:56 AM