Mail app and yahoo??

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey community, does the stock mail app on the G3 work with yahoo email? When i was using the Htc One i wasnt able to use the stock mail app, it would work but not for notifications/push so i had to go into the app itself everytime just to check if i had anything.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a direct answer for you, but one possible workaround is to import your Yahoo mail into Gmail. Gmail will sort the inboxes, and you can select whether the mail you send comes from Gmail or Yahoo.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes, works just fine with Yahoo, including notifications. It doesn't support true push email, though. You can set sync intervals between 5 minutes and 8 hours, or manual. And you can set different intervals for peak and non-peak times.

Yahoo also has it's own mail app, which does support push, I believe.

jaypster

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey community, does the stock mail app on the G3 work with yahoo email? When i was using the Htc One i wasnt able to use the stock mail app, it would work but not for notifications/push so i had to go into the app itself everytime just to check if i had anything.

I didn't use the stock mail client on the LG G3 but used Maildroid Pro until today when Gmail 5.0 was released (supports Yahoo!, Outlook and other IMAP/POP email accounts).

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a direct answer for you, but one possible workaround is to import your Yahoo mail into Gmail. Gmail will sort the inboxes, and you can select whether the mail you send comes from Gmail or Yahoo.

Thanks B.Diddy. Not that i have anything against gmail but if possible i want to avoid making a gmail completely.

Yes, works just fine with Yahoo, including notifications. It doesn't support true push email, though. You can set sync intervals between 5 minutes and 8 hours, or manual. And you can set different intervals for peak and non-peak times.

Yahoo also has it's own mail app, which does support push, I believe.

So if it doesnt support true push email, how does sync intervals work? Would i still get a notification or how?

It worked fine on my lg g3

Im assuming it worked but not push email?

I didn't use the stock mail client on the LG G3 but used Maildroid Pro until today when Gmail 5.0 was released (supports Yahoo!, Outlook and other IMAP/POP email accounts).

Does Gmail 5.0 require you to make a gmail account? Id like to avoid gmail completely if possible.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
So if it doesnt support true push email, how does sync intervals work? Would i still get a notification or how?

If you set the sync interval to 5 minutes, for example, the app will check Yahoo's servers every 5 minutes, download any new emails you've gotten since the last check, and notify you that you have new email. If, of course, you set up notifications in the app's settings.

But if you get a lot of email through Yahoo, I'd recommend installing the Yahoo mail app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...hoo.mobile.client.android.mail&token=k_c3UIHW

True push email with notifications.

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
If you set the sync interval to 5 minutes, for example, the app will check Yahoo's servers every 5 minutes, download any new emails you've gotten since the last check, and notify you that you have new email. If, of course, you set up notifications in the app's settings.

But if you get a lot of email through Yahoo, I'd recommend installing the Yahoo mail app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...hoo.mobile.client.android.mail&token=LyZfWd4i

True push email with notifications.

Yeah i dont get much email at all. Mostly facebook email notifications. See, the way you described on how to set it up never worked on my htc one m7 so for sure it will work that way on the G3? Reason i ask so much or concerned is because im thinking about purchasing it tomorrow or tuesday. So just want to be sure. I dont want to use yahoo email app because im trying to avoid making a gmail/google account.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I use the stock email app for yahoomail, and it works fine for me. I generally set it for a 4 hour notification window, but i've used shorter windows when I was waiting on specific email and that worked too. The only glitch I've had is that when I set it to manual, it still seems to check for new email about once a day, even though I didn't tell it to.

Edit: one thing to keep in mind is that the more frequently it checks for email, the more battery it will use.

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I use the stock email app for yahoomail, and it works fine for me. I generally set it for a 4 hour notification window, but i've used shorter windows when I was waiting on specific email and that worked too. The only glitch I've had is that when I set it to manual, it still seems to check for new email about once a day, even though I didn't tell it to.

Edit: one thing to keep in mind is that the more frequently it checks for email, the more battery it will use.

Oh ok cool well if i get it im sure ill be needing your help on how to set up correctly since i could never get it set on the htc one. So say i set it for 4 hours, if i check it manually (not setting it to manual) during those 4 hours, will it lose the setting for checking every 4 hours?

Also i have a few more questions i rather not make multiple topics.
1. i have read if you disable Google+ it disables the photo gallery as well??
2. If i were to buy the unlocked version for at&t, will i still receive updates??
3. Instead of using Lg Suite software does android file transfer work for the G3 an Mac?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Oh ok cool well if i get it im sure ill be needing your help on how to set up correctly since i could never get it set on the htc one. So say i set it for 4 hours, if i check it manually (not setting it to manual) during those 4 hours, will it lose the setting for checking every 4 hours?

I don't think so.

Also i have a few more questions i rather not make multiple topics.
1. i have read if you disable Google+ it disables the photo gallery as well??
2. If i were to buy the unlocked version for at&t, will i still receive updates??
3. Instead of using Lg Suite software does android file transfer work for the G3 an Mac?

1. No. I didn't use Google + at all in the beginning, and the gallery works fine. I think what is being confused is that with Google + enabled you can have the phone automatically back up all your photos to G+ (privately, not visible to others). But the Gallery is a stand-alone app that doesn't need G+ at all.

2. Are you saying you plan to buy the unlocked version outright (not from AT&T) and then put an AT&T SIM in it? If so, then yes, you'll be able to get updates directly from LG. I'm not positive if these updates come over the air (OTA) or whether you'll need to install them manually. I think they'll still be OTAs, but am not positive.

3. Not sure. Never had a Mac. Sorry.

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
1. No. I didn't use Google + at all in the beginning, and the gallery works fine. I think what is being confused is that with Google + enabled you can have the phone automatically back up all your photos to G+ (privately, not visible to others). But the Gallery is a stand-alone app that doesn't need G+ at all.

2. Are you saying you plan to buy the unlocked version outright (not from AT&T) and then put an AT&T SIM in it? If so, then yes, you'll be able to get updates directly from LG. I'm not positive if these updates come over the air (OTA) or whether you'll need to install them manually. I think they'll still be OTAs, but am not positive.

What i had read was people were disabling Google+ and for some reason its tied to the Gallery. So when it was disabled, the gallery app wouldnt work or open to view pics cause it needed Google+ enabled to do so. So im not too sure whats going on with those who had that feedback. I dont plan on using it and was going to disable it if i get the G3. Im not making a google account or gmail so with it enabled it should be useless anyways i think?

Yes correct. Ok ill ask them before i do on the OTAs, i think i should still get them but figured id ask.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i dont get much email at all. Mostly facebook email notifications. See, the way you described on how to set it up never worked on my htc one m7 so for sure it will work that way on the G3? Reason i ask so much or concerned is because im thinking about purchasing it tomorrow or tuesday. So just want to be sure. I dont want to use yahoo email app because im trying to avoid making a gmail/google account.

You can't own an Android phone without a Google account. It isn't possible.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
You can't own an Android phone without a Google account. It isn't possible.

How did you get past the setup screen? You have to create a Google account just to use the phone or enter an existing one? It doesn't have to be a Gmail address but you still had to have an account, no?

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
How did you get past the setup screen? You have to create a Google account just to use the phone or enter an existing one? It doesn't have to be a Gmail address but you still had to have an account, no?

The setup screen never showed anything on creating a google account from my experience. It shows at&t setup software but gave me the option to exit so i clicked exit. Then it goes to setting up the phone simple settings and that was all. Now if i want to down load apps or anything having to do with google/gmail it would then walk me through the steps to making an a google account. So its optional unless you use google/gmail products on the phone then you have to create or use your existing account. Ive never created or had anything of google/gmail.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The setup screen never showed anything on creating a google account from my experience. It shows at&t setup software but gave me the option to exit so i clicked exit. Then it goes to setting up the phone simple settings and that was all. Now if i want to down load apps or anything having to do with google/gmail it would then walk me through the steps to making an a google account. So its optional unless you use google/gmail products on the phone then you have to create or use your existing account. Ive never created or had anything of google/gmail.

Hmm... Interesting. How do you use Google Play then?

Oh to answer your original question, I stopped using the Yahoo app because it kept moving all of my email to spam. All of it, existing mail, not new, from any folder including sent. The Gmail app isn't perfect yet for non Gmail accounts as it only checks inbox and not mail filtered to folders. It doesn't check those until you open the folder. But you can use the app now without having a Gmail account.

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... Interesting. How do you use Google Play then?

Oh to answer your original question, I stopped using the Yahoo app because it kept moving all of my email to spam. All of it, existing mail, not new, from any folder including sent. The Gmail app isn't perfect yet for non Gmail accounts as it only checks inbox and not mail filtered to folders. It doesn't check those until you open the folder. But you can use the app now without having a Gmail account.

I dont use anything of Google. Whether its gmail, google+,google play etc.

Yeah i heard that about yahoo app people having issues. If i can get notifications using the regular email account (not gmail) for yahoo id be fine. i just really want to make sure ill still get notifications being that its yahoo mail.