Lag, AOSP cameras, Nexus and surprising conclusion.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK... The G3 is an incredible phone.... but the UI performance was its achilles heel of sorts. Little hiccups here and there, stutter steps... it had it. Now, as mentioned before, anyone who claims "Mine doesn't lag" well, it does.. trust me. I came from a Nexus 5, which is about as smooth a phone as you'll find and its there. Now, mind you, its not horrible... but I equated it with having a couple of keys on a grand piano that were out of tune a bit. Oh, I addressed things a little... changed launchers, kernels, ran some custom ROMs... ( I settled on ZoneRom 10M with the v5 Skydragon kernel as the best combination) and they helped here and there but they all still seemed to have some bit of chop.

When the first AOSP test builds were released, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.... UI performance was greatly improved and it ran GREAT... smooth, responsive... but at the time, the camera (which I need) wasn't working just yet. So I waited. Coming from a Nexus 5, the Nexus 6 became a real temptation looming on the horizon.

Then the CloudyG3 ROM was released for pretty much all US variants. I figured... why not give it a look? Took all of 30 seconds after flashing to realize that this was one special ROM.... really... UI performance was stellar. Transitions, animations, moving through Recents, etc... all saw a marked improvement.

Days after loading Cloudy 1.1, work spread that the camera issues were fixed and we started getting non-stock based custom ROMs with it included. I grabbed one and loaded it up.... then after fiddling with it for a little bit, I restored the CloudyG3 stuff back. This surprised me as I was SURE that once I had a working AOSP or CM ROM, I'd just on it and LG's Optimus UI would be a thing of the past. Now, I have no real reason to kick it off my phone. Yes, I prefer the AOSP Notification/Quick Settings dual panel over the combined version that LG has... but other than that, there is no real reason for me to change.

So with the UI issues gone, the G3 is about as perfect a phone as I could hope for AND much to my surprise, that includes the stock (well, mostly stock) ROM.

spydersilk

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a lot of lag on my g3.I did have 2 different g3's and one definitely was worse than the other.
I switched to Galaxy s5 and was surprised that it was a a much smoother experience. I don't like Samsung though and may be switching back to the LG g3

spydersilk

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Switched back to the g3 today and it had the newest update. Definitely not as much lag as my previous g3. Still some. Battery sucks for me too

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have also had the Nexus 5 experience and it sure was smooth.

Since sold and have had the Z2 still own and now the G3.

There were stutters upon unboxing and first use, but then came rooting and shortly after some stock based Rom's.

I have settled for S3v3n's Android Now and its fast and I sure don't have any lag, don't believe me? I don't really care lol

The G3 has all bases covered oh its not perfect I have 1 issue that grates and that is the slightest touch to the headphone connection it either skips or pauses or throws up Voice Mate. Still no remedy that I have noticed or anyone experiencing the same issue?

So placing in pocket and listening to music you just can't really. My only cure is to buy Bluetooth headphones.

I'm not going to do that though as I recently spent £80 on a pair of RHA's.

But that aside the G3 is smooth and one nicely put together device hmmmm almost lol

Posted via the Android Central App

macroguy07

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Did the latest Updates from LG and then Changed over to ART, changed display transitions/animations to .5x from 1.0x and no lag and no overheating. Phone is T Mobile D851 model. Replaced the battery with a 4000 mAh and now I get a long day of use out of it.

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Only lag I ever had on mine was with the stock launcher in the app drawer after getting rid of that I have not had an issue. I used it next to the other flagship phone like the note 4 and really didnt see a difference. Only thing that is some what annoying for me is when unlocking the phone the on screen buttons have an animation. I would prefer if it didn't but that is not a big deal .

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have head phone jack issue as well . Did some reading and I guess it has to do with the type of ear phones you have. I guess the G3 has 4 points of contact in the ear phone jack, 1-3 is normal head phones and if you move it and touches the 4th it thinks it is a hands free unit so it activates its listening mode. Like when you say "ok google" in the middle of a song it will pause. Its a very annoying glitch that has been fixed in the international versions but hasn't made it to the us yet.