Which is better to have less lag?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I believe ART, but not all users find it trouble-free, and personally I shall wait for the L version.

Posted via Android Central App

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Art removes the lag almost completely but it froze my phone once a day which required a battery pull. I went back to delvik for that reason.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Are you rooted? If so, you'll find a lot of options on the XDA forums.

If not, your best bets are probably:

Use a different launcher. Nova and Apex are popular ones, offer lots of customization and options the stock launcher doesn't, and eliminate a lot of the lag the stock launcher causes.

Use an alternate keyboard. I like Swiftkey, but there are many other good ones. Just changing the keyboard and launcher make a huge difference in perceived lag.

Go into Developer Options (Settings / General / Developer Options) and set Window animation scale and Transition animation scale to .5x, or even to off. If you don't see Developer Options, look here: How to Enable Developer Options on the LG G3

Capt19

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not rooted, I'm currently using SwiftKey, and I did change the settings to .5. I'm a little hesitant about a different launcher.... will it change /delete any already on my device?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not rooted, I'm currently using SwiftKey, and I did change the settings to .5. I'm a little hesitant about a different launcher.... will it change /delete any already on my device?

No. They are interchangeable. Selectable via Settings, Home Screen, Select Home (at the top).

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried enabling ART on a couple of occasions and each time my G3 often became rather warm for no apparent reason - like when it was just sitting in my pocket. Switched back to Davlik and it was fine. Currently running Davlik on the G3 but ART on my Nexus 5 and 7 with no similar issues. Had no stability issues with ART on the G3 though.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Verizon and ART do NOT play nicely together. If you seek speed, Nova Launcher is fantastic, and there are a couple of free launchers that work nicely.

Posted via the Android Central App

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a T-mobile G3 and I didn't run ART for long. I think it did speed up my phone but my battery life suffered. I used it for a few days but finally went back to Dalvick because of the battery life and because some of my apps quit working on ART.

I second using Nova launcher. It made a difference for me

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been running on ART for a good while now with no problems.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
So I gave in and redownloaded my nova prime and wow what a difference! Really no lag and I changed the transitions to Android L. I'm still running on dalvik. I was held back from nova mainy because of knock off that wasn't working but screen off and lock app has fixed that problem. I think I may love my phone again 😃

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Oh, one more thought about Nova Prime. It has it's own settings for animation speed that aren't affected by the animation settings under Developer Options. Set them to "Faster than light" for really rapid transitions that involve Nova screens.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I replied in another post that I tried ART on my Verizon G3 after the update (and a Factory Reset). It was not successful. Battery pulls, lock ups and the phone would not indicate the lightning bolt when plugged in for charging. But my battery life had gotten better, thank goodness. When the screen is on, it discharges at a more significant pace, but when I go to sleep at night with 76%, waking up with 65%; I would be dead by the morning, usually. Factory Reset after reset did not help. I turn off to not Backup anything in the Reset screens.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Tried on ART on Verizon and had the same experience as most, a no go.
Lag is purely relative, all phones have a transition period from screen to screen and program to program.
What is reasonable for the person is what matters.
Every new phone released in the past 5 years has someone accusing it of "lagging".
There is no "instantaneous transition" because of the actual transition...make sense?
Most everything I have owned has transitioned well within my needs.

coat4gun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been using ART for about a week on my Google Nexus 4 and it seems to be a bit snappier with no app issues.

Posted via Android Central App

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Mine is the AT&T version. Any other suggestions to remove as much lag as possible?

ART on the AT&T variant is like adding 2 more cores to your processor and an extra gig of RAM to your phone from a performance perspective. And that's not an exaggeration either. My AT&T G3 on Dalvik was brutal on lag but after ART I wouldn't trade it for anything. It truly is like night and day no joke.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers