Thinking of converting from iPhone to LG G3

andrew95

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first day on the android forums! Let me introduce myself: I am a college sophomore who loves to incorporate technology with learning. I do some tutoring on the side in chemistry. I love my iPhone because it syncs to seamlessly with my iPad issued from the university and my MacBook Pro. However, the iPhone seems to always stay the same: updates mean only bigger screens and faster processors. I can't "customize" it. I really dislike not being able to easily just change the battery or add extra storage. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it. But one day I came across the LG G3 online and just from reading about it, I am impressed. I would be willing to give up my synced devices and airplay if this device would be an overall improvement from the iPhone. I really like the way they say the camera is in the G3.

Usage:
All day, every day. Nothing heavy (email, text, call, various surfing)

I can get 2 days usage out of my 2 year old iPhone.

Suggestions/comments? :)

alissa914

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I just bought an LG G3 after using someone else's iPhone 6 Plus. The screen sizes are the same but the 6+ seems bigger.... battery life is less than iPhone 6+, but the display is much better. Amazon / eBay have a larger battery for sale (I picked up a 9000mAh battery for my G3 which helps quite a bit).

Still, the G3 has a better design and more expandability with apps (need an app that uses Caller ID, SMS readout, Google's assistant is better than Siri)....

If you're technical, I would go with the G3. The MicroSD card expandability is nice (128GB Micro SD card in mine) and I got mine for cheap on AT&T Next (about $25/mo w/ a credit per line that offsets most of that). ChromeCast is nice and most apps seem to use it.

Apple has a great interface and great interface, but for what it's worth, it's meant for the masses vs. more technical minded people. It's easier to use, but for me, I always get more out of my Android devices than I ever did with an iPhone. But then, I don't play games on my phone generally..... so I don't know if that's an issue for you.

Izit legit

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
If you are looking to customize Android is the place to go. If you only use your phone moderately you will easily get two days out of your LG G3 and you will also have a better screen resolution. You also be able to sync your data from apple to your android device

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You may want to look at three me Nexus 6 coming out. I have a g3 and I'm thinking of getting the nexus now. You would get your updates from Google and not from carriers. Just a thought for you. I do love me g3 but I've been waiting for Verizon to allow Google to launch a pure Nexus phone on the network. Don't get me wrong.. The G3 is a great phone and with the last update we got. The battery is 15% better than before. Hope you find what you wish for. 👍

Posted via the Android Central App

andrew95

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
How hard would it be to get an LG G3 (or Nexus, or for that matter any android smartphone) on Straight Talk? I like the $45 a month much much better than the more expensive contracts.

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Quite a few things are already available on the G3 that are not available on the 6 Plus due to Apple's restrictions. To name a few:
There is a number row already included in the G3 keyboard. You must hit the "123" button on the iPhone keyboard to get to the numbers. Very annoying to me.
The G3 home screen has 5 columns for icons where the iPhone has only 4.
Flipping home screen icon pages on iPhone only gives one boring transition to the next page. The Apple theme "think Different" leaves much to be desired when it comes to Apple's software creativity.
I know because I traded my G3 for a 6 Plus, mostly because I needed a brighter screen in the day time. Fortunately I found that jail breaking has remedied all of the above shortcomings for the 6 Plus. Note the 5 columns of icons for instance:
icons5.jpg
You can also customize icons on the G3, something I enjoyed very much.
Screenshot_2014-07-22-20-11-14.png
The 6 Plus battery for me lasts more than a day and since I have 64 GB built in I have no issue there. My only regret so far is that I lost Victoria, a truly marvelous and vivacious Android British voice from SVOX which is so much more enjoyable than the flat footed tones of SIRI. You can change SIRI's accent to English (United Kingdom) but it's just not the same. Oh well, guess you can't have it all no matter which you choose as far as G3 and 6+ is concerned. If you don't mind the diminished brightness and contrast of the G3 then I say go for it. The G3 is quite a unique and wonderful phone, not to mention much less expensive. As Mannw1977 has also posted, you should check out the Nexus 6 also before you decide. Oh, and definitely look into Victoria :)

Last edited:

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Amazon / eBay have a larger battery for sale (I picked up a 9000mAh battery for my G3 which helps quite a bit)..

This is true, but you need a monster back cover for the fat battery, and it turns the G3 into something resembling a brick (and you lose NFC/wireless charging capabilities).

Not criticising if you have one, but just thought it was worth adding for those who've not looked at it.

andrew95

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! How much battery life can I expect for someone who is a "moderate" user? I know the specs from the company and real world comparison sometimes differ!

I would be completely willing to try it if I knew I could get it on straight talk! (I know it sounds weird and crazy, but I love only paying $45 a month.)

Last edited:

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! How much battery life can I expect for someone who is a "moderate" user? I know the specs from the company and real world comparison sometimes differ!

I would be completely willing to try it if I knew I could get it on straight talk! (I know it sounds weird and crazy, but I love only paying $45 a month.)

Ahh... the old what is light/moderate/heavy usage conundrum! One person's 'light' is another's 'moderate' and so on. But, based on what other people get on here, and using that as real-world usage, you should be getting 16-20hrs for 'normal' usage (whatever that is...) I would think. You do read that some people get only 5 hours, and then others only charge once every few days - but these are exceptions, and should really be ignored. Neither of those extremes are possible unless you just stream video on aloop, there's a fault, a rogue app(s) draining the phone or it's barely being used.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My Sister got her first smartphone, a G3, a couple weeks ago from BestBuy on Verizon for $100. She's loving it so far, and I used it quite a bit and I really like it - for a 5.5" screen it doesn't feel that big, the in-hand feel is great as well as the form-factor, the rear buttonsare unique and easy to reach, the camera is great, and the ability to customize a lot of stuff is great too. Coming from a iPhone 5 you'd have a lot of fun playing around with it.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
My Sister got her first smartphone, a G3, a couple weeks ago from BestBuy on Verizon for $100. She's loving it so far, and I used it quite a bit and I really like it - for a 5.5" screen it doesn't feel that big, the in-hand feel is great as well as the form-factor, the rear buttonsare unique and easy to reach, the camera is great, and the ability to customize a lot of stuff is great too. Coming from a iPhone 5 you'd have a lot of fun playing around with it.

$100? Really?

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
$100? Really?

Plus a $50 BestBuy gift card made it a heck of a deal.
Would have gone with Amazon, since they have it at $50 - but the hassle of doing it over the internet vs. in-store and for the same price with the gift card it was easier to just go with BestBuy. LOL, I don't even know how Verizon manages to sell them for $150...

Amazon.com: LG G3, Silk White 32GB (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Accessories

EDIT:
Sheesh, on-contract for AT&T on Amazon is giving them away: http://www.amazon.com/LG-G3-Metalli...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4045674

luckybadback

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I would say hands down go with the LG G3. Android gives you so many options to customize right out of the box. If you want to take it a step further and root your phone there is an app that does so in one click although I don't think you will need to risk voiding your warranty because as I said earlier there is so much you can customize right from the get go. If you get one I would recommend a case from a company called BUDDIBOX. The shape of this case and the segmented sections on the sides of the phone rubberized reducing the slip factor pretty much non existent and it also makes for much better grip and control options when playing games. Come on, we all play games. This is the first phone that allows me to play my favorite Pinball Arcade and if you enjoy Racing Games this phone delivers. This phone also plays movies so well I no longer reach for my iPad Air or Nexus 7 when going somewhere. Just my phone and some ear buds and out the door. Lastly the sound on this phone is loud enough to play music in the car and not need ear buds it is that loud and clear and so should your choice. I am not a photography person but I have seen pics taken with my kids iPhones and the LG G3 uses something called laser point focusing and lets just say there is no comparison, LG scores in this category as well. So LG G3 is the Breakout phone of the year, just when it was a two horse race between Apple and Samsung, who'd have thunk it?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Plus a $50 BestBuy gift card made it a heck of a deal.
Would have gone with Amazon, since they have it at $50 - but the hassle of doing it over the internet vs. in-store and for the same price with the gift card it was easier to just go with BestBuy. LOL, I don't even know how Verizon manages to sell them for $150...

Amazon.com: LG G3, Silk White 32GB (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Accessories

EDIT:
Sheesh, on-contract for AT&T on Amazon is giving them away: Amazon.com: LG G3, Metallic Black 32GB (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories

Ohhh... on CONTRACT.... Now you can see why I sounded so shocked at first!

My bad.

conedude13

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I went from a jailbroken 16GB iPhone 5 to a rooted 32GB LG G3 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Getting used to the OS was the biggest hurdle for me, having never used an android device before. Like you, I wanted customization, hence the jailbreak. I had the lock screen display the useful information from notification center, a non-standard grid of icon layouts on the home screens, and the best folder system. The next thing I wanted was more memory and batteries I could swap in and out (a co-worker of mine told me that's what he does with his galaxy s5) and a cheaper phone bill. T-mobile was the place to get the cheaper phone bill and, at the time, the LG G3 was the best phone on T-mobile.

Like I said, the OS was the hardest thing to get used to. But after a weekend of getting familiar with the layout and settings, I knew what I wanted and am still making tweaks but not as much anymore. It’s difficult for me to determine normal battery life right now since I’m tinkering with battery saving and CPU frequency tweaking apps, but I’m still getting 1 day’s use out of it.

The other major difference between the 5 and the G3 is the time between shots on the camera. The G3 takes a lot more time than the 5, but the picture quality is outstanding on the G3; way better than the 5. And I learned about burst mode, so that’s cool.

I love the new phone and whole android thing. I look forward to tinkering with roms and stuff. Not too happy with the employees and their knowledge at the T-mobile store (don’t let anyone tell you that the iPhone 5 can do wifi calling), but the toll-free customer service reps were very helpful. I don’t know what carrier you have, but T-mobile’s 4G speeds were blowing everyone else out of the water at work, but have had very spotty service in very remote areas.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam