Will I get OTA updates on an unlocked AT&T G3?

eleusys

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
OTA updates on an unlocked AT&T G3

Hello everybody. This is my first post here in Android Central. Please note that english is not my main language (I'm from Argentina).
I plan to buy at amazon the AT&T G3 model (D850) that has the same LTE bands that will run in my country. I will unlock it by IMEI code in order to use it in one of Argentina's cellphone carriers (nfortunately, international model D855 that is factory unlocked doesn't support my country LTE bands) I have doubts about the Android AT&T OTA updates after the unlock. Will I get updates from AT&T or I will be stuck with an old Android version? Is there a way to update Android other than AT&T OTA?
Thanks in advance

levoresume

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: OTA updates on an unlocked AT&T G3

I used to have an att galaxy s4, and I brought it to my country after I unlocked it. 6 months later att released a software update for 4.4.2 but my cousin wasn't able to download it with foreign carrier. Once I visit I plugged in my att SIM card and right away started downloading att craps , than we were able to upgrade to 4.4.2. Things might have changed recently but that was my experience

eleusys

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

Does the AT&T's SIM card has to be activated in order to get the update or I can use the inactive one who came with the phone?

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

I think AT&T phones are difficult to update when used on different carriers. You might not get software updates over the air. Hopefully LG will post the update on their website and then you could download it

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

I say this because a couple years ago I had an AT&T HTC One X that was unlocked, and I was using it on another carrier here in the US. For some reason AT&T changes the settings so that instead of system updates they are AT&T updates, which requires you to be on AT&T's network for the system updates to work. Luckily I was able to manually update the software by downloading it from HTC America's support website. I hope the same happens for your LG G3. Otherwise your best option is to root and flash updated software for the phone, usually round on Xda Developers.

Tambien hablas inglés muy bien! Bueno, lo tecleas bien jajaja

eleusys

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

Hablemos en español entonces! Ya que este thread parece haber muerto. Gracias por lo del inglés, pero, sabés la sopa (de letras) que me falta?!
En cuanto a las actualizaciones, si, quizás lo mejor sea rootearlo y flashearle una ROM. Una de noob: ¿se pude flashear la última ROM de LG? ¿Dónde se consiguen? ¿Hay algún tutorial en xda?
Gracias!

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Jaja español o castellano? Dijiste que eres de Argentina verdad?

Rootearlo es una opción... Por lo general no es tan difícil. Hay dos cosas que tienes que hacer: rootear y desbloquear el bootloader (Google dice que la traducción es Gestor de arranque, no sé si sea correcto). Después de desbloquearlo hay que instalar un nuevo recovery (recuperación?) como TWRP. Como dije no es tan difícil hacer todo esto, y a lo mejor alguien ya ha hecho un programa para hacerlo todo, así de fácil.
Si buscas a AT&T G3 por Google te llevará al sitio específicamente para la versión de AT&T. Luego puedes leer sobre el subtitulo de Android Development y usualmente hay instrucciones para obtener root.

Hablemos en español entonces! Ya que este thread parece haber muerto. Gracias por lo del inglés, pero, sabés la sopa (de letras) que me falta?!
En cuanto a las actualizaciones, si, quizás lo mejor sea rootearlo y flashearle una ROM. Una de noob: ¿se pude flashear la última ROM de LG? ¿Dónde se consiguen? ¿Hay algún tutorial en xda?
Gracias!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae