Contact sync with car

jmrenshaw

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I have an LG G3 and everything works with my cars Bluetooth kit except for downloading my contacts. I've tried unpairing and repairing I've used an app called Bluetooth phonebook and nothing seems to want to make it work. I've also tried using the share contact option over Bluetooth,

Any ideas? Its driving my crazy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you trying to sync with the factory-installed car system, or is it a 3rd party product? When you're trying to sync the contacts, look at the phone screen--does it ever ask you for permission to transfer contacts? Sometimes you have to make sure you accept on the phone before everything transfers over.

jmrenshaw

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Its an after market retro fit. The one thing I don't get is a message asking for permission to access my contacts which is odd. The unit has worked fine with two other phones (iPhones) so I don't think its faulty.

I've now also tried using "Bluetooth File Transfer" but to no avail either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's possible the car system is only compatible with specific phones, like iPhones. Does the aftermarket manufacturer have a compatibility list available?

jmrenshaw

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
It's possible the car system is only compatible with specific phones, like iPhones. Does the aftermarket manufacturer have a compatibility list available?
They don't explicitly all they say is all phones that support Bluetooth 2.1
I can make and receive calls fine and use a2dp, its just getting my contacts synced over that doesn't work :-(

jmrenshaw

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok I've now tried a windows phone and it works first time. LG support have come back to me and tell me the G3 does not ask for permission to download contacts to the car - can anyone verify that?

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I recently helped someone with their Infinity. Their contacts were once synced, but got a replacement phone and could not get phone to send contacts. It asked to copy the contacts when pairing, no contacts transferred. We tried the Infinity's separate Phonebook...Download Contacts portion of the system. It indicated downloading, again no transfer. Because I am a geek and can not fail, I searched her Galaxy S5 contacts menu and came upon a choice of sending contacts as one file(the default) or send individual contacts. I changed to Send Individual and deleted the phone, and repaired. Voila, the system said downloading which took a little longer than before and the contacts were stored in the cars Bluetooth. We have the same settings in our G3. Give it a try? Open Contacts....Setting....Transfer type

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 8986.jpg
    8986.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 8989.jpg
    8989.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 8990.jpg
    8990.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 14

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok I've now tried a windows phone and it works first time. LG support have come back to me and tell me the G3 does not ask for permission to download contacts to the car - can anyone verify that?
I have a 2013 and 2014 ford product and I am asked for permission to download contacts to both cars on all phones I have used with them including the G3.
That said it may be the car asking for permissions and not the phone even though it show up on the phone.

jmrenshaw

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I recently helped someone with their Infinity. Their contacts were once synced, but got a replacement phone and could not get phone to send contacts. It asked to copy the contacts when pairing, no contacts transferred. We tried the Infinity's separate Phonebook...Download Contacts portion of the system. It indicated downloading, again no transfer. Because I am a geek and can not fail, I searched her Galaxy S5 contacts menu and came upon a choice of sending contacts as one file(the default) or send individual contacts. I changed to Send Individual and deleted the phone, and repaired. Voila, the system said downloading which took a little longer than before and the contacts were stored in the cars Bluetooth. We have the same settings in our G3. Give it a try? Open Contacts....Setting....Transfer type

Thanks for the advice, I've tried and still no luck. I've now gone and factory reset it and guess what, still no luck.

jmrenshaw

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2013 and 2014 ford product and I am asked for permission to download contacts to both cars on all phones I have used with them including the G3.
That said it may be the car asking for permissions and not the phone even though it show up on the phone.

Hmm well that's not what LG advised me, but very interesting to know.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My 2011Chevrolet asked permission. But really, never checked on unit to see if contacts transfer. It does give me caller id when someone calls, so assuming yes. It could be your after market device may be upgradable in some way. Check out it's website?

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Also, her infinity's menu under phonebook had a separate 'download contacts' section. Does yours?

jmrenshaw

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Nope there is no option to ask it to download the contacts manually.
I've made some progress, I've downloaded contacts (vCards) over pbap today to my laptop, but still not success to the car. All they helpfully say is that any device that supports Bluetooth 2.1 will work, so I'm not sure what method it uses to get the contacts.

As for upgrading the device, there doesn't appear to be a way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante