Marques Brownlee: G3 not in top 5 for 2014

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Ah, that may be why I've never heard of him, never got into the YouTube craze (heck, I'm just now discovering Twitch). To each his own I guess, but I'd certainly rate the G3 over a phone that maybe a few hundred people actually own (1+) and a super-sized version of last year's model (iPhone 6).

...is there a way I can delete that double post?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
(Not directed at the OP)
Why in the world would anyone care what anyone else thinks or how they rate the phone that you own and like? Seriously people, we really need to get over this. I like his reviews but certainly do not base my buying decisions on "what he likes"...I base them on what I like and what works for me, weird huh?
Probably the single most irritating thing about forums is this need for "everyone to like the phone that I own and think it's the best".
There is no best...never will be. Best is what you probably decided to buy and what the other guy decided to buy for himself...and guess what, they may different.
You can Google "Best smartphone 2014" and get 20 different answers....what does that tell ya? Cnet is a great example, they rarely have anything other than an iPhone as their top pick. Are they wrong, maybe to us Android fanatics but certainly not to the Apple crowd.
I remember earlier this year Jerry of AC mentioned that he had found the perfect phone in his Moto X and people were giving him crap about it...what a bunch of maroons....he said "best phone for him".
Anyone needing the masses to like or confirm what they like has bigger issues than what phone other people like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Just his opinion. I wouldn't put those phones on the top but that's just down to personal preference. These lists don't matter, from anyone.

Posted via Nexus 5

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't even consider his reviews all that wonderful. I mean, they are good, but not that good.

From an AOSP M8

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
This is the FIRST review I've seen where the G3 wasn't in the top three. This guy evidently sucks at his job and wouldn't recognize a premier phone if it bit him.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Floppyhamwar

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Mkbhd is is awesome guys I love his videos, but honestly I don't know about u guys I didn't really but the g3 because of his review? In fact he barely made anything of the G3, why do we get so bugged when he doesent include a phone we like in "his" top 5? It's in the top 3 of most other reviews and again I personally didn't buy it off of someone else's review's ? ¿ did you?

Posted via Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Mkbhd is is awesome guys I love his videos, but honestly I don't know about u guys I didn't really but the g3 because of his review? In fact he barely made anything of the G3, why do we get so bugged when he doesent include a phone we like in "his" top 5? It's in the top 3 of most other reviews and again I personally didn't buy it off of someone else's review's ? ¿ did you?

No. It was LG who sold me the G3 with the 538ppi display, long before it became available to buy. Some unfavourable comments in reviews and elsewhere made me hesitate for a while, but I think I knew I was going to buy. Then Duncan1982's impressions of the device after he'd bought it, posted in this forum, finally banished any lingering doubts I had to the land of wind and ghosts.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I like his reviews, in fact I like all reviews regardless if they're positive or negative...they can point out factors that I wouldn't be aware of. I'm not a professional phone/tech guy, I pay attention to my profession and do what I can in the other areas of my life, some of these factors I wouldn't be aware of so I appreciate those that do this regularly to point them out. I don't understand why people get put-off when there's something critical said of their purchase...who cares? Take the information for what it's worth to you and make the best decision for YOU.

Case in point, I have a GS3 that I want to dump, I'm waffling between the Turbo and the G3, there are aspects of both that I don't like, and much that I do. I use these phones for my business so the purchase is important to me, it's not an entertainment or gaming device for me...I just don't care about those areas, this is where reviews and feedback on these forums come into play.

So in the end I'll take his feedback into consideration along with all the others and make a decision...or heck, at this point why not wait for the G4, by the time I get around to purchasing a phone after the new year it'll be close enough to the spring to wait for it if I can put up with this GS3 for another few months.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't even consider his reviews all that wonderful. I mean, they are good, but not that good.

From an AOSP M8

i KNOW!!! when he only had about 450,000 subs i found him, and even then i was like, your reviews are good, informative etc but,,,,but....almost HALF A MILLION subscribers??!! WHAT am i missing here?! Now he's got over 2 million, a year and a half later, i still "scratching my head"...

.i unsubbed back in early 2013 when he trashed my beloved LG G2..... that phone was a game changer in many ways, and he just dogged it to death! he's obviously a good guy, and i am certain his opinion cannot be bought, but i wouldn't base ANY phone decision on what he thinks after that...

BTC

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I like MKBHD. He always explains his biases though. I think that viewers have to take that into consideration. I remember his review of the G3, he had pointed out some issues with the phone overheating and how some of the features performed. Plus he had some issues with the software. To be honest, if I had to make a top ten list in smartphones this year, I wouldn't put the G3 on the list.

Nothing but Note! A little rim, some backboard, but mostly Note!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My thoughts:

1. Who?
2. Who cares? Even if it was someone I really knew, respected, and who's opinion I valued, I wouldn't care. I buy the phone that I think is best for me, not the phone someone else thinks is best for them. The iPhone and Nexus aren't even on the shortlist for me: they're too big. And if the reasons DoctorDwayne lists are why he didn't include the G3, then I care even less, as I have none of those issues with mine.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
My thoughts:

1. Who?
2. Who cares? Even if it was someone I really knew, respected, and who's opinion I valued, I wouldn't care. I buy the phone that I think is best for me, not the phone someone else thinks is best for them. The iPhone and Nexus aren't even on the shortlist for me: they're too big. And if the reasons DoctorDwayne lists are why he didn't include the G3, then I care even less, as I have none of those issues with mine.
I think that you are exactly right. It really doesn't matter what devices are on his top 5 and which ones are in my top five. They are going to be different based on individual preferences. It doesn't mean that because I don't have the G3 in my top 5 that it isn't a great device or the best device.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
His reviews are very good. His videos are very good. His top phones are just that... HIS top phones, not EVERYONE'S top phones.

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The list is laughable. The One plus One gets a spot when only X amount of people own it? The LG G3 is a top performer and didn't make it? WOW. Who is this guy and where did he come from? I suppose an opinion is an opinion so to each his/her own.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The list is laughable. The One plus One gets a spot when only X amount of people own it? The LG G3 is a top performer and didn't make it? WOW. Who is this guy and where did he come from? I suppose an opinion is an opinion so to each his/her own.
But that's the point. He didn't rank the top smartphones of the year, he ranked "His" favorite smartphones. I think people may be getting too excited over his favorites list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital