My brother is using the Verizon variant and every time he opens the Play Store it says "Background data disabled Google play Store needs background data to be enabled. Learn more Quit" and he can't get around it and it exits the app. He checked to make sure background data was enabled and everything, as well as clearing the cache. Any suggestions? I can get a screenshot if that'd help.
    11-26-2014 08:56 PM
    Have him go to Settings>Data Usage, and select Google Play Store in that list. Make sure Restrict Background Data is unchecked there. Remember that it's possible to restrict background data for individual apps, as opposed to universally.
    11-27-2014 12:11 AM
    Have him go to Settings>Data Usage, and select Google Play Store in that list. Make sure Restrict Background Data is unchecked there. Remember that it's possible to restrict background data for individual apps, as opposed to universally.
    He already did that, it's not checked.
    11-27-2014 09:26 AM
    Does this happen on both wi-fi and mobile data?

See what happens if he goes to Settings>Apps>All, selects Google Play Store, and Uninstalls Updates. Does it work with the factory-installed Play Store version? Don't worry, Play Store will automatically update at some point in the near future again.
    11-27-2014 11:08 PM
    Does this happen on both wi-fi and mobile data?

See what happens if he goes to Settings>Apps>All, selects Google Play Store, and Uninstalls Updates. Does it work with the factory-installed Play Store version? Don't worry, Play Store will automatically update at some point in the near future again.
    Thanks for the extra advice. LOL, it started working now..., weird.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-28-2014 09:10 AM
    I am having the same problem on a phone running 2.3.4 and there is nothing called Data Usage under settings. Any other suggestions on where to look?
    11-29-2014 11:17 AM
    I am having the same problem on a phone running 2.3.4 and there is nothing called Data Usage under settings. Any other suggestions on where to look?
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? You may want to create a new thread about your issue, since this thread is about the G3.

It's been a while since I've used a Gingerbread phone. Data Usage is probably somewhere in the Settings>Wireless & Networks menu. I can't recall if Gingerbread allows the user to Restrict Background Data, though.
    Kaiser Droid likes this.
    11-29-2014 12:06 PM
    On my Droid X (running 2.3.4) it's:
    Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Google Play Store
    You can clear cache in there. Hope this helps.
    11-29-2014 02:24 PM