how big a deal is over-sharpening?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I find that it's noticeable on certain types of text, but not troublesome. The best way would be to take a look at a lit-up G3 yourself if you can.

Posted via Android Central App

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
My phone has never looked that bad (then again, that's a picture of the screen and not a screenshot, so it's impossible to tell in that example how much of it is the screen and how much is the camera). Definitely not a deal-breaker if you ask me....

strock2e30

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Verizon G3 for 3 weeks now. I really haven't even noticed it yet. Or if it was present, I didn't realize. I'm more than content.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have not really noticed this much with how I use my phone but came across the XDA thread today on a kernel fix for this. When I was reading it, I found an excellent website that depicts the sharpening issue perfectly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4239144/20140726/blacktextgreybackground.html

View that site on your phone and notice the off white "outlining" of the text, especially in the darker grey backgrounds. Then flash the fix and visit it again (after turning screen off and back on after boot) and notice the pleasant change.

I just did it and it's working nicely so far! I am currently running Hello Jasmine 3.0 ROM with 11C Verizon kernel. Works perfectly and is a very quick flash. Just remember to make a quick backup of the Boot partition in TWRP, so you can go back if you have any issues.

[FIX][Oversharpening][All Variants] Stock ke… | LG G3 | XDA Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I had it at the beginning straight out of the box but once I changed my animations down to zero(0)....it was no longer an issue.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Did you visit that website to see what the text looks like on the grey background?

No but I just did and don't have the white outline on the text. I'm not rooted either. I suppose the zero animation removes the over sharpening?!? Not sure.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
No but I just did and don't have the white outline on the text. I'm not rooted either. I suppose the zero animation removes the over sharpening?!? Not sure.

It has nothing to do with it, actually. But that is interesting. Must be a firmware update, are you running 5.0 or an international variant? Do you know what kernel you have?

I actually checked with another phone (AT&T on 4.4.2) and it was the same as my old one before the update, with the white halo around the letters.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It has nothing to do with it, actually. But that is interesting. Must be a firmware update, are you running 5.0 or an international variant? Do you know what kernel you have?

I actually checked with another phone (AT&T on 4.4.2) and it was the same as my old one before the update, with the white halo around the letters.

I'm on Sprint running 4.4.2. There was an update not to long ago but it wasn't 5.0 thats for sure. I'm thinking that it might be that when you lower your animations to zero, the resharpening effect is so quick that its hardly noticeable. I'm not sure though because I've done A LOT of things to this device since I got it day one, lol!

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Sprint running 4.4.2. There was an update not to long ago but it wasn't 5.0 thats for sure. I'm thinking that it might be that when you lower your animations to zero, the resharpening effect is so quick that its hardly noticeable. I'm not sure though because I've done A LOT of things to this device since I got it day one, lol!

That's strange. Animations are for something else entirely though. I noticed the effect on that grey-scale page mostly while not zooming in on the text. During the zoom, it actually gets rid of the white around the lettering until you let go, then it pops back in there. Very strange, but this fix worked very well for me!

Never noticed this before but that website was a dead giveaway that something wasn't configured correctly. Glad they tweaked the kernel.

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Not all eyes will see over sharpening. Mine don't, so as far as I can see there is no such thing. Other eyes do see it and you will never convince anyone who sees it that the phenomena is not completely normal. So I suggest you do yourself a favor and try to be objective when you look at the screen. If you see it it will be there, but maybe it won't be there for you.

I do a lot of optics evaluations and reviews. It is somewhat analogous to seeing or not seeing color fringing in binoculars. It is always there, but not everybody will see it. A good portion of those who do taught themselves to see it because they went looking for it, just because it is supposed to be there. Do yourself a favor and don't look for it. If you don't see it, be glad. If you are prone to see it, you will.

Too bad you don't want to root. Nearly all of the newer G3 custom ROM's, particularly the LP ones have fixed the issue.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had this phone for a while now about 6 months and have never noticed the oversharpening.....kinda over exaggerated imo

Agreed, but text looks even better now (I like to take advantage of the high-resolution by getting as much text on-screen as I can) after throttling this "sharpening effect" down some from the factory kernel settings.

Anyone with root should definitely try it out to see what they prefer.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The sharpening effect will never show up in a screenshot, zhris.

As far as how bad it is, I didn't think it was a big deal until I installed a kernel that eliminated it, and then restored to an earlier configuration that still had the sharpening. I was flabbergasted that I had put up with it for as long as I did. How visible it is depends a lot on the background / text colors (the less contrast between them, the more noticeable the oversharpening is), but the screen is simply easier on the eyes with the sharpening removed.

Decon1

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
LOL! Ok, I have had my phone for 2 months. This is simply not a problem. I do run with animations off. IMO you'll not look at a much nicer screen. Do take the brightness off auto and set it for your own comfort.

Decon