I went from the OE Nexus to the Galaxy S4 to the G3. Received my G3 FedEx on July 17th, have had reception issues ever since. I did everything I could to try and identify the problem, including multiple tiers of Verizon tech support, in-store help, but nobody could tell me why it was happening. They even went as far to swap me out for a different model of my choice. I said no, I like the G3.

So five months into this charade, I had Verizon engineers start and try to identify the problem. And according to engineering, the problem was discovered.

My OE Nexus, upon activation of my G3, somehow became parasitic and was actually pulling bandwidth away from my G3. Never happened with the S4. How freakin' odd is that?

However I stayed loyal to LG, and I'm still waiting for a fix. An engineer myself, I questioned their logic. They are electrical engineers, I'm a mechanical engineer so we speak similar languages, but we all have specialized training. I bought into their theory for the most part, but I still am burdened with doubt.

I suppose nothing can really surprise me anymore. I'm hoping for a quick fix.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-08-2014 04:43 PM
    My OE Nexus, upon activation of my G3, somehow became parasitic and was actually pulling bandwidth away from my G3. Never happened with the S4. How freakin' odd is that?

However I stayed loyal to LG, and I'm still waiting for a fix. An engineer myself, I questioned their logic. They are electrical engineers, I'm a mechanical engineer so we speak similar languages, but we all have specialized training. I bought into their theory for the most part, but I still am burdened with doubt.
    Reminds me of the 6 Million Dollar Man episode with the "hostile microprocessors".

I'm an electrical engineer, with specialties in communications and, later, computers, both hardware and software. And years as a cellphone dealer (not for Verizon - never touch the stuff).

You're "questioning" their "logic"? What they're giving you isn't logic, but some male bovine digested it before they gave it to you. Once they changed the ESN on your account, your old phone was non-existent on their system. That's how CDMA works.

I can hear it now. "Who wants to give this guy the lie of the day? He had a Nexus, now he has an LG, and he has reception issues. He sounds a little 'engineerish', so make it sound good."

Don't mix any diesel fuel with that explanation - remember Oklahoma City.

(It's why I severed all ties with Verizon years ago. Bell was a good company. Splitting them up made them a bunch of Apples.)
    12-08-2014 04:56 PM
    I'm not an electrical engineer, but that sure sounds fishy. If the Nexus is turned off, does the performance of your G3 improve? If it's not connected, it doesn't seem to me it could draw any bandwidth from anything.
    12-08-2014 04:58 PM
    I'll make it 3 in a row, this makes no sense at all. Sounds like Verizon Engineer double talk, and I am not an engineer of any sort to know this sounds like "Engineering Quackery".
    12-08-2014 06:06 PM
    Why haven't you give to a store to swap for a new G3?

12-08-2014 06:39 PM
    Some nonsense like that happened to the wife on sprint. Maybe it's just the BS cdma? Switched to T-Mobile over Thanksgiving and the wife and I both got G3's and the reception and the phone are rocking so far.

12-08-2014 08:56 PM
    Lol yes, it's a reach indeed. I had my G3 swapped out once. My argument was that the battery on the Nexus was likely dead. I only use it once in a while to play a game I can't migrate to the G3.

Is it a load of BS? Very possible. I'm not an electrical engineer either and only had circuit theory in college as part of my BSME. So I'll humor them for a week, and if the problem persists, then I'll go into attack mode. I agree with you guys playing this off with crap excuses but I can be patient for 7 days. I'll actually ask to speak with engineering and have them explain the root cause and corrective action.

12-09-2014 03:05 PM