Improve Signal quality

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know of a way to improve signal quality (data 4g). Im on Verizon. My note 2 receives constant 4g signal in my home, my new G3 drops out :( Im afraid if I can't get it to stay constant I'll have to return it and check out a Note 4. I really like the G3, cant believe it, but I really like the buttons on the back and knock on feature.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If the SIM didn't help, you'll have to try a replacement phone. A trip back to VZW, or a phone call is in order. I have found that the signal is a little lower than the Droid Turbo, but it's not that much different. If you're seeing a huge difference, I'm really thinking you could have a bad radio or maybe a faulty antenna, but make sure it's a huge difference. Is there a place in your house that's worse than another? Before you did anything, I'd switch into the dBm mode and see what the DBs are on the two devices.

G3: Settings/More/Mobile Networks/Network Type and Strength. (Not sure where it is in the Note, but I'm betting it's going to be close to the same place.) Compare the two dBm measurements. If there's no change IE both devices have the same dBm, then there's nothing wrong with the phone.

Good luck

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know of a way to improve signal quality (data 4g). Im on Verizon. My note 2 receives constant 4g signal in my home, my new G3 drops out :( Im afraid if I can't get it to stay constant I'll have to return it and check out a Note 4. I really like the G3, cant believe it, but I really like the buttons on the back and knock on feature.

Do you notice the problem with the G3 - poor streaming, etc or is it just the indicators? I assume you are having noticeable problems. You may want to comparison speed tests using SpeedOf.Me, or similar. When you exchange your phone, more information will only help.

Both phones should be on the same network of course.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It is not unheard of to have a bad radio....had the same thing happen with a Droid DNA, swapped phones and all ended well.
Good Luck!

evan34

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have had the G3 since launch on Verizon and am not impressed with its signal quality. At first I thought it was just my phone, but I have noticed the same with other people I know with the G3. Just last week I did some testes with a friend that has an iphone 5 and another that has a GS4 (both on vzw), data speed is 20% to 30% slower (speedtest, loading pages) and one odd thing I noticed was that it take quite a while for the device to switch from 4G to 3G or to WiFi, so maybe it is a software issue with connecting to the best tower? I also get issues where texts take a while to send and calls take a while to place. Overall, I have noticed, as well as other people I know, a decrease in performance of Verizon in both SF and Los Angeles. Could the network be getting saturated?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I went from a G2 to the G3 and at first was shocked that the radios had not been improved.

After being on the Turbo for the past month, and the iPhone 6 a month prior to that, I think what you said about the switching is more to the point. I don't think it's the quality of the radios, but more along the lines of how long it takes to recover from a bad signal. IE: If I'm in a 3G area, which happens at my desk, I have to put it in airplane mode, then back to get my 4G signal back.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Also, in the early days of this forum radio problems were noticed by some users and after some comparative tests it became generally acknowledged, rightly or wrongly, that the G3 had a weaker radio than some other phones. There may have been manufacturer changes since then, I don't know. In my own case it doesn't matter because I live in an area of good signal but it may be enough to matter where the signal is weak.

Posted via the Android Central App

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Here's something peculiar, my 4g dBm is the same on my note 2 and g3, -110. The note can hold 4g but g3 drops it

I have noticed the same thing with the G3. It loses LTE with a weak signal faster than my other devices and is slow to return to LTE. I find airplane mode solves this. It's takes a few seconds to pull the drop down menu, select airplane mode, wait, select it again to turn off, then LTE is back.

I have done extensive testing on different devices. There's 1 spot in my house that I lose LTE on all phones eventually. Here's what I've found:
G2 - Loses LTE after about 5 minutes. Returns shortly after moving from the spot, and can return while sitting in the spot.
G3 - Loses LTE after about 5 minutes. Sometimes returns back to LTE, but can remain stuck on 3G.
iPhone 6 - Loses LTE after about 10 minutes. PIcks it back up after a few minutes. Bounces back and forth while sitting in the same spot almost like it is trying to stay on LTE.
Droid Turbo - Loses LTE after about 10 minutes. Returns shortly after moving from the spot, and can return while sitting in the spot.

All devices put LTE in and around -115 dBm to -118dBm. None of the 4 devices had a bettter signal than the other.

So for me, I'd rather have the G3 and all of it's functions and have to put it into airplane mode, then take it out as opposed to any of the other devices. And that's what you need to look at. What's your point of no return. What device hiccup can you live with, because all devices have hicupps.

Lapse

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
There's an app called Network Signal Speed Booster, that I've tried. Seems to work ok, not sure how much it helps.

Posted via Android Central App

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
For whatever it's worth, my LG G3 seems to have better signal overall (and better switching between LTE and 4G) then my Galaxy S4. By better switching I mean it will switch to a stronger 4G sooner if LTE is weak, compared with my S4 which tended to hold onto a weaker LTE signal forcing the phone to work harder to maintain that signal and therefore draining the battery). My S4 was on Rogers but is now unlocked, the LG is locked to MTS (Canadian regional carrier). I only have one SIM so I can't do a live, side-by-side test, so it's just based on experience and the appearance of bars. I generally don't pay attention to the actual dB rating unless I'm specifically looking for it which is rare

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Some phones will hold on to a weak 4g signal where certain phones will drop it at that level because they believe that a strong 3g is better than a weak 4g signal. I've had some 3g that's was faster than 4g because a phone was struggling trying to retain 4g. My G3 is better with signal in every way than my htc one m8 or my s5 and I live in a fringe area.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670