Why am I getting the error message attachment size limit is exceded?

morgana47

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
LG G3 pictures on text "attachment size limit is exceded"

I just recently bought the LG G3 and I'm having trouble adding multiple pictures to a text message. When I add more than 2 pictures, I get the error message of "attachment size limit is exceeded". At that point it will allow me to send the 2 pictures but leave all the rest off of the text. I never had this problem with my previous Samsung phone. With my previous phone, I could add more then 2 picture with no issues. I'm assuming the LG phone isn't resizing the pictures correctly when adding them to the text message in order to allow them to fit the allotted memory limit for a text message. I'm using the stock message application and using pictures out of my Gallery. I've tried making the resolution on the picture smaller which I don't think I should have to do if the message app was working correctly, but it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this just a normal inferior thing that I'm going to have to get used to with this phone?.. And no I don't want to download a third party app I was hoping to use the stock app.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG G3 pictures on text "attachment size limit is exceded"

I am wondering if because the G3 can take higher resolution pictures, if that is why you can only attach 2 of them. Can you turn down the resolution for a test?

Edit: Welcome to the forums!

From an AOSP M8

morgana47

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Golfdriver for answering me back!!:), I had already tried changing the resolution. My Samsung was set at 8MP when I was sending pictures and I turned my LG all the way down to 3MP and i'm still only able to add on 2 pictures to each text message before getting the size limit error message. I've done the normal trouble shooting as far as clearing cache ect, I haven't wiped the phone yet and was hoping avoiding that since I just set up my new phone with all my little quirks. One thing I did notice is at the bottom of the text message field, it has a number listed, for example 893KB/ 1024KB, and the first number changes depending on the pictures added, unfortunately I can't figure out a way to change the assuming "1024KB" limit anywhere on the phone. I wonder if this is a limit built into the G3 message app and not my carriers (sprint's) limit considering I was able to send multiple pictures on my Samsung. I've emailed LG and am pretty much getting crap answers, but i'm about to pull my hair out trying to figure this out.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Golfdriver for answering me back!!:), I had already tried changing the resolution. My Samsung was set at 8MP when I was sending pictures and I turned my LG all the way down to 3MP and i'm still only able to add on 2 pictures to each text message before getting the size limit error message. I've done the normal trouble shooting as far as clearing cache ect, I haven't wiped the phone yet and was hoping avoiding that since I just set up my new phone with all my little quirks. One thing I did notice is at the bottom of the text message field, it has a number listed, for example 893KB/ 1024KB, and the first number changes depending on the pictures added, unfortunately I can't figure out a way to change the assuming "1024KB" limit anywhere on the phone. I wonder if this is a limit built into the G3 message app and not my carriers (sprint's) limit considering I was able to send multiple pictures on my Samsung. I've emailed LG and am pretty much getting crap answers, but i'm about to pull my hair out trying to figure this out.

Perhaps we can go about this differently: Maybe another texting application, like Textra? If you can get your friends on Hangouts, you can still send pictures, it would just be one at a time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Verizon allows 1.2MB total MMS size - that includes text and all attachments. Other carriers allow less. If the pictures add up to more, email them (most email services now limit to 25MB). If they exceed the email size, post them on your cloud account, in a public folder, and text or email a link. (There are enough free cloud accounts out there that should easily be able to get a few hundred GB of storage in 15 minutes. Not all on one account, but no one is limiting the number of accounts you can have.)

morgana47

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

thanks again for the replies but all of that is what I was trying to avoid. I tend to send pictures on the fly in little batches so when I'm out doing things I don't have the time to put them into a cloud account or have to email them when the other person isn't going to check their email instantaneously as they would a text. The thing that is frustrating is I have a friend with a Samsung Note and one with an iPhone both on Sprint and neither of them have any problems sending mass pictures like I am with this LG phone that's why I think it has something to do with the phone. I'm really loving this LG phone and wanted to try something other than the Samsung but this one issue is causing me to rethink my choice and wonder if I should just trade it in for the Samsung 5. I just wish I could figure out why it's doing this...as I asked before, shouldn't the text app automatically resize the pictures to fit with in the carriers size limit and why isn't this happening on this phone?

morgana47

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

problem solved!!! :) I got so frustrated I ended up downloading textra and its sending multiple pictures with no problem and about 10 minutes after I downloaded textra I received an email from LG verifying that the stock app will not handle large pictures..although I didn't want to use a third party app it looks like this is my only option if I want to keep this phone, fortunately textra seems to be pretty straight forward without having to deal with all the bloat that most third party text apps have.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Textra is really popular, and a valid app. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the follow up.

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

I just recently bought the LG G3 and I'm having trouble adding multiple pictures to a text message. When I add more than 2 pictures, I get the error message of "attachment size limit is exceeded". At that point it will allow me to send the 2 pictures but leave all the rest off of the text. I never had this problem with my previous Samsung phone. With my previous phone, I could add more then 2 picture with no issues. I'm assuming the LG phone isn't resizing the pictures correctly when adding them to the text message in order to allow them to fit the allotted memory limit for a text message. I'm using the stock message application and using pictures out of my Gallery. I've tried making the resolution on the picture smaller which I don't think I should have to do if the message app was working correctly, but it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this just a normal inferior thing that I'm going to have to get used to with this phone?.. And no I don't want to download a third party app I was hoping to use the stock app.

Hey, are you on Sprint?

And to anybody out there on At&t, are you able to send more than 2 pics or does it limit you as well?

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Use Handscent because it will automatically resize for texting. And works great. Been using it for years.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae