Why is my LG G3 switching to the German language daily?

Dybukk

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
LG G3 language defaulting to German

I recently purchased an LG G3 phone in Germany (LG-D855). I am an American living here for a few years and have the phone set to American English with a QWERTY keyboard.

About once a day when I unlock the phone it has switched to German with the German keyboard. Each time I have to go into settings and reset to English.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

LG G3 LG-D855
Android 5.0
SW: V20f-EUR-XX

Provider is DT

Thanks,
--Ryan

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG G3 language defaulting to German

Ugh, that would be maddening.

It sounds like you've done this already but there are two places for language in the Language & Input sections of Settings. One is the "language" (just under the top Language & Input bar), and the second is the keyboard language (under the Keyboard & Input Methods settings). If you are using a 3rd party keyboard, the app may have it's own language settings.

I can't think of anywhere else that we might look to find the cause of this language changing issue. What keyboard are you using, may I ask?

orgi

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

Hey! I have almost the same problem. My phone changes language when rebooting from US English to Portuguese - the language of a simcard. Phone was bought in Russia, so theres no connection with the country of purchase but with the country of the mobile operator. (tried to use italian simcard as well)

It makes me crazy to switch the lang every time I turn it on((( I was looking for the solution but havent find yet.
The other thing happening is screen timeout time has been changing to the default 15 sec and I have to change it back to 1min(

Dybukk

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site

I have tried both already. I have both language and keyboard set to US English. Doesn't matter, it defaults them. I used the Google keyboard for a while which was NOT affected by the change but the system language still is.

I am using the US (QWERTY) keyboard. Most times after the switch it changes to the DE keyboard (QWERTZ) and the Eng (QWERTZ).

At least my German is somewhat good and can get through menus :)

I am head back to the US in a few weeks for a visit and will see if the same issue exists with a T-Mobile (US) SIM.

Dybukk

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site

Doing some research based on orgi's comment is appears that the "default" system language may be defined by the MCC of the SIM (IMSI range). Any ideas on how Android uses the MCC to drive default functions in the phone?

lanfeust9

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site

I've got the exact same issue as well, it originally disappeared after Android 5.0 OTA around Christmas, before then it used to reboot in Russian...

Today I've just received a new OTA though my version of Android remains at 5.0 but it's very possible the cryptic Build number and software version from LG has changed ; right now I have build number LRX21R.A1422433909 and software version V20c-SEA-XX together with Android 5.0. I gues SEA means the phone comes originally from South East Asia.

I live in Canada with a regular operator provided SIM card so it's hard to believe the IMSI plays a role there unless there's a major bug somewhere.

Any idea how to fix this?

Aleef

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

I recently purchased an LG G3 phone in Germany (LG-D855). I am an American living here for a few years and have the phone set to American English with a QWERTY keyboard.

About once a day when I unlock the phone it has switched to German with the German keyboard. Each time I have to go into settings and reset to English.

LG G3 LG-D855
Android 5.0
SW: V20f-EUR-XX

Provider is DT

Thanks,
--Ryan

rphox2003

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

Sorry, but the time zone setting is not the problem. I set the time zone to Central Standard, rebooted, and the language reverted to Hebrew. Any other ideas on keeping my G3 in English?
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC