Is that true ( If the temperature exceeds 32c, it decreases the battery life at a rate of 6% ?!!

Bat g

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I read in an article that if the battery temperature exceeded the 32 c -year-old they lose by 6 percent
* My phone temperature exceeds 40
Am I in danger :eek:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, the self-discharge rate rises significantly with heat - from 2%/month at 0C to 35%/month at 60C. But that's charge, not lifetime. And it starts a sharp rise around 50C, so it's still pretty low at 40C. (That's for the type of lithium battery used in cellphones, lithium-cobalt.) A lithium battery shouldn't be charged above 45C for safety considerations (thermal runaway can cause a fire or even an explosion), but can safely be discharged at up to 60C (with better efficiency, but shorter battery life). Whether it's 6% per year or not is either a wild guess or an average of hundreds of batteries. Testing a handful of batteries yields results that vary widely.

But don't put a heavy drain on the battery when it's so hot that blinking makes you sweat. (The lower the state of charge and the lower the drain, the less the loss of capacity for a given temperature.)