New to the G3, so let's talk apps.

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had my G3 for about three days now, and I'm really liking it. There are some things to get used to after being on an iPhone for years, but the switch hasn't been as bad as many had led me to believe. I think a lot of iPhone users are scared away by having so many options. I think it's cool that you don't necessarily have to stick with the stock apps, and you can choose what works best for you or what you like best.

I'm just your basic user, so I don't do or need anything fancy on my phone, but I would like to find out works the best for some others so I can find out what works best for me. I know your answers are going to be very subjective based on your personal preferences, but that's fine.

What are the best apps out there for the following categories?
- Phone
- Email
- SMS
- Camera
- Music player
- Video viewing
- Anything else for a basic user

I'm happy with the launcher, and I use Chrome on my computers, so I'll be sticking with those.

Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. A lot of people like Textra for SMS. I like PowerAmp for a music player. That is a paid app, but they allow at least a week trial (I am tempted to say 2 but I can't remember), after that it is a one time fee of $4. Best $4, I ever spent. It has been able to play any format type I can throw at it.

Email app...it depends. Bluemail is nice. But I don't really look at emails on my phone all that much.

An app that isn't really on your list, I would suggest Google Keep for note taking. Free, and very basic.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What I've learned after all these years with Android (started with the Moto Droid in 09) is that just because there is an aftermarket or alternate app does not mean it's better (of course "better" being very subjective).
I currently use the stock apps for everything you mentioned and they work just fine )except music, have never used it). I usually get apps because there isn't a stock one available to do the tack that I need. I do like Swiftkey though, just more options than the stock.
There was a time when I tried every "alternate app" just becasue but always found myself going back to the stock one. I tend to be very pragmatic and seem to end up with the simplest solution to any question or problem.
Not sure these would fall under "suggestions for a basic user" but they are ones that I always use:
Barcode Scanner
CamCard
Docs to Go
Dropbox
ES File Explorer
Google Voice
Hangouts
Tasker
SwiftKey
Did not list apps that require root, since you mentioned "basic"

Good luck, hope you enjoy your new phone!

I've had my G3 for about three days now, and I'm really liking it. There are some things to get used to after being on an iPhone for years, but the switch hasn't been as bad as many had led me to believe. I think a lot of iPhone users are scared away by having so many options. I think it's cool that you don't necessarily have to stick with the stock apps, and you can choose what works best for you or what you like best.

I'm just your basic user, so I don't do or need anything fancy on my phone, but I would like to find out works the best for some others so I can find out what works best for me. I know your answers are going to be very subjective based on your personal preferences, but that's fine.

- Phone
- Email
- SMS
- Camera
- Music player
- Video viewing

I'm happy with the launcher, and I use Chrome on my computers, so I'll be sticking with those.

Thanks.

Strider2112

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

- Phone
For phone I have always used the stock app, although Google Hangouts (formerly Talk) has a phone feature, it is VOIP, though
- Email
Since I integrate my Google account into everything I do (G+), I have to say the Gmail app
- SMS
Along with instant messaging, Google Hangouts is my favourite for this.
- Camera
On the G3, I am using the stock app
- Music player
Definitely Poweramp, worth the money without a doubt!
- Video viewing
Stock, I'm not sure any advantages to going non-stock (unless you mean like youtube).
Google+
Traffic Monitor (for monitoring Data Usage)
Chrome - replace the stock browser
Alarm Clock Plus - replace stock alarm clock
Google Keyboard (or Swiftkey)
Google Docs/Sheets
Battery Guru (for snapdragon phones like ours)
Google Now Launcher (I know you said you're happy with the launcher, but this deserves a mention. For Google Now integration)
Google Remote Desktop (to log into home computers that are on)
Wolfram Alpha (calculator replacement)

Thanks.

Please see my input in bold above

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
- Phone (stock + Blacklist Pro)
- Email (I use stock but I don't email much from my phone anyways.)
- SMS (EvolveSMS!)
- Camera (Stock, but modified thanks to root access)
- Music player (Apollo)
- Video viewing (MX Player Pro)

LordLugard

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Most of what you're requesting already come standard in the G3 and work just fine.
Have you tried the stock apps first?
In my personal use case, I prefer Apex Launcher, Google Messenger for SMS, Blue Mail for Email (I like Push Email), VLC for video, stock Music and Play Music for music, ES File Explorer for file management (and FTP to and fro from my Mac).

The possibilities are endless...

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again for all the help and info.

@LordLugard, I have been playing with the stock apps. My initial post was more out of curiosity and to see if there is anything that people are using that might peak my interest. So far, I've been very satisfied with the stock apps.

The only thing I'm still trying to work out is getting all my email into one app. I'm still using my old Hotmail email (because I've had it for years and that's what everybody uses for me and what I have set up for all my bills and such), my obligatory Gmail account, and a .edu since I'm also a student. I can't get my .edu into the stock app, and I'm having difficulties getting my Hotmail one into the Gmail app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma