So about all these "battery life" issues...

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Are people only having bad battery life on 5.0? Was the phone great on battery on kit Kat? I ask because I ordered one on eBay with 3 extra batteries and a battery charger for $350. I have the iPhone 6 plus right now (I am not an iPhone only person as I switch every so often) and the battery + camera is great. I don't want to lose those 2 things. My plan was (as I get bored of phones after some time and even faster when I switch to the iPhone) to give my wife my 6+ and sell her 6 (for over $600) then use the G3 till the G4.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: So about all these "battery life" issues...

The battery life is just fine on KitKat. If you know what you're doing.

Currently I can manage 5.5-6 hours SOT. I have battery drain during standby (phone on, screen off) at 1% every 3 hours now. Thanks to some customizations.

Last edited:

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

The battery life is just fine on KitKat. If you know what you're doing.

Currently I can manage 5.5-6 hours SOT. I have battery drain during standby (phone on, screen off) at 1% every 3 hours now. Thanks to some customizations.

Can you elaborate on those customizations? My frustration is coming more from Android than the G3 it seems. Once again Android is consuming my battery at an alarming rate. After doing a factory reset I was seeing virtually no battery drain during standby for about a month but now it has gone back to draining anywhere from 25 to 35 percent overnight. I know I can do another factory reset and fix the problem but that does not seem like a long term fix. Plus with Lollipop around the corner here in the US I hate to do the reset and then have to do it again once that update hits.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Can you elaborate on those customizations?

I've got Greenify running which will hibernate any apps that you select. This helps standby numbers greatly as it allows your phone to go into a deep sleep when off instead of having apps with wakelocks every few minutes.

Speaking of wakelocks, I also use Amplify which limits wakelocks and other alarms and services on the phone that run in the background. Again, this helps standby numbers very much.

I use Lux as a brightness tweaking app which allows me to heavily customize the way in which my phone determines how bright my screen gets. This saves batter power because it never gets brighter than it has to for me to see the screen. I feel as though the stock auto-brightness can be too bright at times, wasting precious battery power. It also allows the phone to get darker than stock, which is very helpful on the eyes (and battery life) when in a completely pitch black room.

I also have a custom ROM based on stock (Hello Jasmine 3.0) that is de-bloated of all unnecessary applications that are typically not removable in the stock image.

Lastly I have flashed a custom kernel, SkyDragon 0.2.9.7, which has tweaked CPU/GPU core limiting and other fine enhancements that allow the phone to conserve as much power as possible while still giving great performance when, say you are playing a 3D game.

Many of these things require root access to work efficiently, or at all.

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I've got Greenify running which will hibernate any apps that you select. This helps standby numbers greatly as it allows your phone to go into a deep sleep when off instead of having apps with wakelocks every few minutes.

Speaking of wakelocks, I also use Amplify which limits wakelocks and other alarms and services on the phone that run in the background. Again, this helps standby numbers very much.

I use Lux as a brightness tweaking app which allows me to heavily customize the way in which my phone determines how bright my screen gets. This saves batter power because it never gets brighter than it has to for me to see the screen. I feel as though the stock auto-brightness can be too bright at times, wasting precious battery power. It also allows the phone to get darker than stock, which is very helpful on the eyes (and battery life) when in a completely pitch black room.

I also have a custom ROM based on stock (Hello Jasmine 3.0) that is de-bloated of all unnecessary applications that are typically not removable in the stock image.

Lastly I have flashed a custom kernel, SkyDragon 0.2.9.7, which has tweaked CPU/GPU core limiting and other fine enhancements that allow the phone to conserve as much power as possible while still giving great performance when, say you are playing a 3D game.

Many of these things require root access to work efficiently, or at all.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. Many very good suggestions there although my phone is not rooted and I do not plan on doing so. The frustrating thing is for that month after I factory reset the phone my battery life was very very good. As I said I could leave it overnight and lose virtually no battery life. If a complete backup was available on an unrooted android phone it would not be a big deal to reset the phone but I realize that is not possible. I might go ahead and do it anyway and see if it takes this time. Wish I had a better idea when Lollipop was hitting here in the US for A T and T phones. Not that I have been all that impressed with it on my Nexus 7.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

My plan was (as I get bored of phones after some time and even faster when I switch to the iPhone) to give my wife my 6+ and sell her 6 (for over $600) then use the G3 till the G4.

Totally off topic but omg I found my twin! Haha I am the same way and do the same thing. Do people look at you like you're crazy for switching and selling phones so often my family thinks i need rehab lol I have had a galaxy s4, s5, note 3, and an iPhone 5s and 6 all in the last 8 months . g3 best phone thus far however nothing competed with that iPhone battery. They perfected it. Lol but that being said g3 battery isn't bad by any means. Lollipop is suppose to make it worse so hold out on upgrading til 5.1

Yoga Wibowo1

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Well on my d855 i can get 4.5 hours SOT easily with cloudy rom 2.1 and spiderio kernel, and 5 hours sot if you dont gaming

Posted via the Android Central App

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Totally off topic but omg I found my twin! Haha I am the same way and do the same thing. Do people look at you like you're crazy for switching and selling phones so often my family thinks i need rehab lol I have had a galaxy s4, s5, note 3, and an iPhone 5s and 6 all in the last 8 months . g3 best phone thus far however nothing competed with that iPhone battery. They perfected it. Lol but that being said g3 battery isn't bad by any means. Lollipop is suppose to make it worse so hold out on upgrading til 5.1

Yeah people tell me why the hell do I switch so much.... Yeah, I feel like if the G4 doesn't have great battery life I might end up with another 6+ or maybe look at the Z4. The iPhone 6+ would be the perfect Android phone. Great battery, great pictures, premium build, beautiful screen.

osallent

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Depending on what kinds of apps I'm running, I get 4.5 to 5.5 hours of on-screen time on my LG G3. Using it at work for the occasional conversations with clients, calendar, calculator, and some light news browsing, I'll get about 5.5 hours of on-screen time. If I leave my house at 8:30 AM with the phone at 100% charge, I'll typically have around 35-45% by the time I get home at 6 PM (depending on how many phone calls I had to take). However, if I run Youtube and do a lot of internet browsing, the battery goes faster. On a diet of HD Youtube videos I can drain a battery in 4.5 hours easily.

Unless LG improves battery performance somehow on the G4, I'll probably sit that one out, especially if the rumors of a 3K display are true. What would be the point of a 3K display when almost everything is still 1080P if it means the battery would drain after 3.5-4 hours of video watching. I hope LG maintains the same resolution as now for the G4, and either goes for a bigger battery or a newer battery with better technology. Other than the hungriness of the 2K display, the LG G3 is an amazing phone.

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
3-4 1/2 hours of Screen on time is the general norm for this phone, expect that. QuadHD screen eats a lot of battery. Sure you can use things like Greenfiy, "Amplify" but it's a awful a lot of hassle in the end. Avoid applications that prevent the device from "deep sleeping" (this is a good thing). Two key apps to avoid, Facebook, Facebook Messenger. They have wakelocks galore.

Also if you have just updated to Lollipop, I recommend a factory reset, While 4.4 to 5.0 doesnt sound like a massive update, (nor does the file size indicate it) It is. A lot of under the hood changes. Also give it sometime to settle, Generally it takes about a week to settle down, cache up things, learn your habits.. Just my two cents.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
3-4 1/2 hours of Screen on time is the general norm for this phone, expect that. QuadHD screen eats a lot of battery. Sure you can use things like Greenfiy, "Amplify" but it's a awful a lot of hassle in the end. Avoid applications that prevent the device from "deep sleeping" (this is a good thing). Two key apps to avoid, Facebook, Facebook Messenger. They have wakelocks galore.

Also if you have just updated to Lollipop, I recommend a factory reset, While 4.4 to 5.0 doesnt sound like a massive update, (nor does the file size indicate it) It is. A lot of under the hood changes. Also give it sometime to settle, Generally it takes about a week to settle down, cache up things, learn your habits.. Just my two cents.

I don't have the pro version of amplify but I do have the donation package of greenify.
Let me tell you that it is NOT a lot of hassle to learn how to use an app.
Simply read and make smart decisions. Radio Receivers is another thing that apps have to know when you do something. I have wakelocks and receivers under control and can get 8 hours of SOT, though on a 3850mah battery.

A word of wisdom...when you think you know everything, you don't learn anything.

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure anyone would have "fun" with 8 hours SOT.
You act as if you wouldn't want more battery time, but I guess you and some others don't like to learn things.

Lol, It's not about not wanting to "learn" things. I'm well aware of what you can do with Greenify/Amplify. Some people may not want to sacrifice features for that.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Lol, It's not about not wanting to "learn" things. I'm well aware of what you can do with Greenify/Amplify. Some people may not want to sacrifice features for that.

There is no sacrifice in using those apps at all.
Any app you control with greenify will still work like normal.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers