AT&T LG G3 update (2/10/15) LOLLIPOP!

nator76

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
If you at all like any functionality with your lockscreen then DONT update

for some reason, LG has neutered the lock screen

- only shows 2 notifications at a time
- cant expand notifications on lockscreen (only shows 2 lines of text), or on notification shade pull down (only way they expand is if phone is unlocked)
- no double tap to open (only swipe to open)
- no widgets, which is a known in 5.0, but LG has taken away certain things in lockscreen functionality even in lollipop

numerous threads on Reddit about this among other things LG has taken/changed away from stock Lollipop

If you are currently using NILS or something of that nature, prepare to be disappointed. You may want to hold off on the update

Only saving grace for me is standby battery life is off the charts, and the animations are definitely cool.

FrownBuzzy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I liked the LG way of grid-ing app screens better than the flip-thru way. =(
You could actually see alot of useful info even with the screen shrunk three-across on that screen.

I don't use the QuickMemo+ app very much and so I dont have its icon anywhere but I liked having the ability to pull it up by dragging up from the bottom. Now that only goes to Google.

I usually really like phone OS updates this is the first one I've ever been disappointed with.

master_95

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lg g3 and i downloaded the new update....it isn't much different than the one before. just some casual changes

the one thing that is bothering me so much is that whenever my phone is on silent or priority..if i get a notification the led light doesn't turn on.....so there is no way to tell if i got a message or a call or something.....but the led light does turn on when my phone is on vibrate or on sound...which i think is stupid because why the hell would i need to led light when i can hear it ring or vibrate. like its common sense. Before in kit kat the LED light used to turn on even if it was in silent so it used to help in seeing that there was a notification.

another thing: before on the browser there used to be go back and forward arrows but with this update they r gone so if i accidentally brews back then i can't go forward easily i have to type in the whole thing again. is anybody having this problem or just me?

other than this the update is great...the battery life is great but it just freezes a little sometimes.

if you ask me which one i prefer i would want to get kit kat back...lollipop is not exactly the best

Google10

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Updated against my will. Why is there a camera icon on my LOCK screen now and how do I get that off of there? Also, the typing animation for inputting a PIN is annoying.

Scrolling through a bunch of apps does not seem nearly as user friendly or efficient as what we had before.

To be on Silent with only alarms coming through, I need to set to Priority Only and now have two icons (star and vibrate - why vibrate?) in the bar?

Last edited:

dusterdude

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
my phone just upgraded itself,i was trying to wait a few days but it said hell no.so far,so good.it upgraded to 5.0.1 in case anyone is interested

Ba55ackward5

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Updated on the 10th.

Battery life seems better but I was never running low throughout the day - I'm a light to med mobile user.
Like the Lollipop style notifications but disappointing that I cant expand them on lock screen
Disappointed that I can't use the stock lollipop contact/dialer apps.

I don't mind the change from "Slient Mode" to DND/Priority Mode but something that is bugging me. even while in DND - and all notifications unselected, I still get noises from my phone telling me that charging is complete - err annoying all night long. Maybe I'm missing something. If someone knows how to stop, please let me know.

While I don't mind the app view of stock lollipop, i thought LG had the best app viewer out. I do like the browser tab grouping inside the app viewer though.

My 2c

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
PITA. :-X
I just finished a conference call, set my phone down and heard a weird noise a few minutes later. AT&T decided to force update my device at 9:00 AM in the morning during my work-day. Sooooo nice of them. Took about 20 minutes or so. The battery was warm, not hot.
So far everything seems paused. You perform an action, it pauses, then executes. I'll see how it goes. I'll update on my findings and experiences later.....

Jhonb

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded my LG G3. No issues. ... No longer get momentary icon in circle case window indicating wireless charging, but red LED oscillates and wireless charging works. Operation seems smoother. Too soon to tell if battery life is diminished, but considering the installation process that warmed the back of the phone, and using Waze for a half hour without a charger, I still had 46% battery left at night.

I like that momentary message. That way I know I have the phone positioned right on the charger. I will say that this disappeared on my phone sometime back and then one day, started up again. It's nice to know that this is not an issue for me alone. I hope they fix it.
What I am hoping is that this will fix my Bluetooth issue where I have to manually connect to my cars blue tooth system. My last two phones connected automatically.

mrushie

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Updated during lunch yesterday. The whole process took about 45 minutes. The only hiccup was with Google Play Services. As with others I had to go to APKMirror to update it. Overall Lollypop isn't much different from Jellybean. Except for the notifications and security. I do have one question? Has anyone set up an NFC tag as a trusted device? Have SmartLock set up and have my NFC Ring set as a trusted device. However, the lock screen won't use the NFC Ring to unlock. Other than this everything is running great. Any ideas?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys but, on screen time is what matters... How is that?

So far the same, I'm a heavy user (spotify streaming, bluetooth to car/headset, video streaming) and I get about 3.5hrs ~ 4hrs of SOT. I've been playing too much recently on the settings, which is why I end up around 40% battery after a 9hr shift at work.

Tomazz Trieu

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
So far, two things that bugs me. 1st is the recent view apps. Its a page style now which i dislike. Takes longer to find the correct one. The old tile format was alot better, more efficient. 2nd. I used to be able to say "OK, Google" on the homescreen without punching any buttons. Now i have to press the "Ok, Google" bar and then speak. Is there a way where i dont have to press anything?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem activating "ok google" by voive only from the lock screen or any home screen whether it has the google bar or not.

So far, two things that bugs me. 1st is the recent view apps. Its a page style now which i dislike. Takes longer to find the correct one. The old tile format was alot better, more efficient. 2nd. I used to be able to say "OK, Google" on the homescreen without punching any buttons. Now i have to press the "Ok, Google" bar and then speak. Is there a way where i dont have to press anything?