charging cable problem - what cable to buy?

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I am using the standard LG charger that came with my LG G3. I had problems with the LG cable that came with the phone and an aftermarket cable. Both had the same problem after prolonged use when plugging the cable into the phone.

The phone would display a message like "charging with USB. Connect to a standard charger for faster charging"

Does this happen a lot or do I need to buy a better cable?
Thanks
Tony

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
USB charging is slower and not as efficient as plugging it into a wall outlet, which is preferred.
The cables are most likely OK. Just try and charge it up when hooked up to a regular outlet.

Mav. :cool:

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I was not clear. The phone is connected to the standard LG charger which allows the USB cable to disconnect from it.
The LG cable that came with the charger and the aftermarket one both failed the same way

When the cable is connected to the LG charger they work for a while then stop allowing a fast charge.

me75006

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Monoprice has a cable,
5456 1.5ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated), currently $1.02

The 24 awg indicates a larger diameter wire pair for carrying power; i.e. less loss thru the cable.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Really nice cable! That model is to short.
But I noticed that they have a 3ft version of the same cable and it is only a few cents more.
I am going to order one today. Thanks

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I had exactly that message, mentioned in your first post, with a recently-bought new Lumia 930, using the stock charger and lead. Unplugging and replugging fixed it, and it's never done it since. Another forum member suggested a faulty USB lead as the cause, which may be true, but if it has happened with two leads in your case, couldn't it be a problem with the USB port or even the charger?
Whatever, I hope you get it working okay.

Posted via the Android Central App

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is the charger or phone usb port. When I plug a new cable in it works fine.
I ordered the cable from monoprice. Hopefully that will work

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
We go through cables quite often in our house... Teenager. Anyway, I just ordered those monoprice cables in 3 and 6 foot varieties. So cheap, I just ordered a dozen. They work great for all our phones(G3,G2 and S4). And now we have plenty of backups.

Posted via Android Central App

me75006

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Is this cable equally as good and compatible with the G3?
< url not allowed, <10 post penalty>
Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated) - Monoprice.com

Thanks!

I believe it will, It'll give you a margin of safety.
I tried a new monoprice 3ft 28/28 awg, if worked fine. YMMV.
Just wanted to see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx