Semi-paranoid Photo App Question

JCDaly

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps this is the wrong spot for this, but I was thinking of getting Instagram on my LG G3, and obviously it's going to require access to my photos in order to post photos. That makes sense. I'm just wondering, will yielding that access allow Instagram (or any other photo-type app) free reign to look through the entirety of my photos at any time? Yeah, I know that's unlikely, but I dunno, even the idea of it still unnerves me.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you mean "will it look at my pictures and send them out by itself", no. If you mean is the Instagram app able to see all your pictures, yes. It has to be able to in order for you to be able to find them to send them. Gallery can see all your pictures too. So can Media Scanner, a part of Android.

Not posting something on the web because it might come back and bite you is smart. Being afraid that a well-known app will upload all your pictures to a hidden server is a bit paranoid. I'd be lot more concerned about the NSA than I would about Instagram.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
With Instagram... you are probably safe as long as you are not sideloading the app from SketchyJohn's App Emporium.

Those app permissions descriptions can be quite misleading... When an app says "Access to SD storage" and "Permssion to acess your picture library" or something... well.. it HAS to. :) In order to take a picture, save it to your phone then go in and access that picture at a later date, it needs the access. The permission warning is kind of a 'worst case' scenario thing where they are TRYING to get your attention so you just don't rubber stamp an app's permission.

For instance...some flashlight apps... those are HORRIBLE.... they'll include permissions to access your location, your internal storage, transmit on the network, etc... When you see a flashlight app looking to know your location and get access to the network, THEN worry. But if its a photo program from a well known source, you're in good shape.

JCDaly

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Gotcha, thanks, as I alluded to in my OP, I get that an app like Instagram has to have access in order post photos. It makes sense. Rubkat's first sentence was more what I was thinking of when I asked the question. Like if my phone were completely idle, could some rogue employee or the app itself get at my photos and/or post photos anyway. I'm a bit new to the smartphone world (as you might tell from my posting history). But it seems my concerns have been allayed. Thank you both!

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The RED FLAG here is Instagram! They can use any picture you upload to them for commercial use without pay.
Another user said to worry about the NSA over Instagram but the NSA uses all social media outlets.
As long as an app that requests access to your sd card or gallery doesn't have internet access you are good.
So much for trusting Instagram since you need internet access.
Yes they can look at all your photos at anytime and upload without you knowing.
Best bet is stay away from things like Instagram and Facebook. Twitter and you tube are ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge