LG G3 OTA update killed recent root.

TechSane99

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I had just recently rooted my LG G3 At&t D850 model using stump root. After installing I had down loaded supersu and I had downloaded Xposed because of tweaking apps I had got that recommend/required it. And I had backed it up with titanium back up.

Anyway I had seen that it wanted to up date and I never accepted it but I guess it automatically updated (Lollipop 5.0) and killed my root. Because one of my apps said that it was and no longer worked. Id like to know if the ota update screwed or could have screwed up any files after it had updated. And also stump root says it's still rooted when it's not. And what could I use to ree root my device? If I even can. Do I need to do a system restore or anything? If so should I extract the backup on to an external?
Sorry for so many questions. I'm kinda a noob at android rooting. Id appreciate yalls help.

Thanks.

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

I haven't run the official Lollipoop version, so I don't know if this will work. I doubt it, but hey, might be worthwhile.

Go into SETTINGS>DEVELOPER OPTIONS

If you don't have DEVELOPER OPTIONS in your menu,
Go to SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>SOFTWARE INFORMATION>BUILD NUMBER and tap on BUILD NUMBER until you see DEVELOPER OPTIONS pop-up and activation.

Look for an option for root access and see if it is activated.

Okay, if you're on AT&T's official release, I really doubt that you have that option.

Can you flash into TWRP recovery?

If so, you might need to update your SUPERSU. Download the most recent version onto your external SD card and flash it in TWRP.

TechSane99

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

I haven't run the official Lollipoop version, so I don't know if this will work. I doubt it, but hey, might be worthwhile.

Go into SETTINGS>DEVELOPER OPTIONS

If you don't have DEVELOPER OPTIONS in your menu,
Go to SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>SOFTWARE INFORMATION>BUILD NUMBER and tap on BUILD NUMBER until you see DEVELOPER OPTIONS pop-up and activation.

Look for an option for root access and see if it is activated.

Okay, if you're on AT&T's official release, I really doubt that you have that option.

Can you flash into TWRP recovery?

If so, you might need to update your SUPERSU. Download the most recent version onto your external SD card and flash it in TWRP.

Hey thanks for your reply.
I couldn't find the root thing in developer options.

Could you explain to me what twrp is? And is this the only way to fix my problem? I did backup with titanium back up before the update maybe it could back up before the lollipop update. I haven't got a lot of knowledge with the whole flashing roms and stuff.
Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Looks like you have to downgrade back to a rootable version of Android. Typically, when accepting an OTA update, not only does it kill your root access, but many other problems can arise from it. It would be best to go back to where you were before.

The backup in Titanium Backup is good, but not as encompassing as a backup in TWRP (custom recovery) which is also known as a nandroid backup. I would recommend following some guides posted around here to downgrade your firmware in order to re-root. In addition, I would recommend installing a bumped version of TWRP which will allow for these types of backups described above. TWRP runs above the rom you have installed, and can save you from a soft-brick situation like a bad kernel, broken OS, or worse.

Return to stock firmware for AT&T

TWRP Install for AT&T

TechSane99

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help dude. I've got one more question. If I downgrade the version on my phone to stock I would loose all my stuff correct? It be basically a factory reset so would I be able to use the titanium back up for my apps and contacts etc? And should I downgrade to stock or just the previous version?
Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you have contacts backed up or written down, have your apps either backed up or app list recorded.
Next time you have root get an internet blocker and block "software update" in the system.
You can always try towel root and see what happens.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help dude. I've got one more question. If I downgrade the version on my phone to stock I would loose all my stuff correct? It be basically a factory reset so would I be able to use the titanium back up for my apps and contacts etc? And should I downgrade to stock or just the previous version?
Thanks

Yes, you'll lose it all so please move your backups to your External MicroSD card!

Downgrade to stock and start from there. Definitely read up about these methods to fully understand what will be happening before you actually do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol