No option for widgets with lollipop on LS?

fleeper

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I no longer have the option in settings for widgets on my lockscreen under settings. Is there a way to get a weather widget on the LS without the setting?

Thanks.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
There is currently no way of doing this. They replaced the ability to have a nice, customizable widget to control or display a multitude of things with a simple clock that displays the current time, date, and next upcoming alarm. Really a poor effort on the developers part when rewriting the lock screen for Lollipop.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For all we know, they came to the conclusion that lockscreen widgets were a security risk (which, in fairness, they are) and they made the choice to save us from ourselves. Who knows?

Though, they don't force us all to use PINs or pattern locks (or even use a lockscreen for that matter)....

It'd be nice to have a concrete reason though.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
For all we know, they came to the conclusion that lockscreen widgets were a security risk (which, in fairness, they are) and they made the choice to save us from ourselves. Who knows?

Though, they don't force us all to use PINs or pattern locks (or even use a lockscreen for that matter)....

It'd be nice to have a concrete reason though.

I would like one, too. It's more of a downgrade than anything. I don't believe having lockscreen notifications should affect the ability to use a widget. And if it did, they should have made it so you can toggle lockscreen notifications off in favor of widget use. This is Android after all!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would like one, too. It's more of a downgrade than anything. I don't believe having lockscreen notifications should affect the ability to use a widget

They don't.... but the lack of widgets and LS notifs are not the same. I can only assume that allowing widgets in the lockscreen is a security risk... you are giving user apps a tunnel around the LS mechanism..... keys to the castle, so to speak. I'm sure that notifications were probably planned independently of locking down the lock screen (heh). Those notifications are coming directly from the system, so they are trusted.

I'm all for opting in/out of stuff like that... but perhaps there was some deep fundamental issue that precluded LS widgets... Muck like how they locked down SD cards in KK while they figured out a better method (that came in LP).

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
They don't.... but the lack of widgets and LS notifs are not the same. I can only assume that allowing widgets in the lockscreen is a security risk... you are giving user apps a tunnel around the LS mechanism..... keys to the castle, so to speak. I'm sure that notifications were probably planned independently of locking down the lock screen (heh). Those notifications are coming directly from the system, so they are trusted.

I'm all for opting in/out of stuff like that... but perhaps there was some deep fundamental issue that precluded LS widgets... Muck like how they locked down SD cards in KK while they figured out a better method (that came in LP).

This would make sense if we were forced to lock down the phone with a PIN, but we aren't. So the argument of widgets being removed from the lockscreen because of a security risk is out the window.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc