Google officially announces Android 5.1

Goosinurwife

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I heard from someone that heard from someone else that the LG G3 will be getting android 5.1 instead of 5.0.2 so we r golden

Google has now officially announced its new Android Lollipop 5.1 OS which will bring improved stability and performance.

While it was rumored earlier and leaked on Google's Android One site, Google has now officially announced its new Android 5.1 OS version at its official Android blog. While it will be a minor update, the new Android 5.1 "improves stability and performance" when compared to original Android 5.0 OS, according to Google.

While it is still a minor update, the Android 5.1 will not be all about stability and performance but also bring some new features including support for multiple SIM slots, HD Voice, as well as a new security feature, the Device Protection. The Device Protection will lock a lost or a stolen device until user signs with Google account and even stays after a factory reset.

The new Android 5.1 OS will also bring an ability to join Wi-Fi networks and control your paired Bluetooth devices directly from Quick Settings.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I doubt any US carriers will offer 5.1 anytime soon.

Oh, one big thing is they are bringing back silent mode. That's something.

Here is an interesting little snippet from the additional features:

[NOTE]Google has also introduced a small, but significant upgrade to the platform's security. Devices running Android 5.1 will no longer be susceptible to factory restarts, without the owners' knowledge, so to say. Performing a factory restart will still require you to sign into your Google account to continue normal operation. This should, at least in theory, hinder phone theft. The new security feature will initially be available on Nexus 6 and 9 only, but Google plans to extend support to a lot more future devices, running Android 5.1.[/NOTE]

This is interesting because what if your phone is not functioning correctly and cannot communicate with outside sources? How are you supposed to sign in and authenticate with Google if your phone cannot talk to the servers?

Last edited:

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I doubt any US carriers will offer 5.2 anytime soon.

Oh, one big thing is they are bringing back silent mode. That's something.

Here is an interesting little snippet from the additional features:

[NOTE]Google has also introduced a small, but significant upgrade to the platform's security. Devices running Android 5.1 will no longer be susceptible to factory restarts, without the owners' knowledge, so to say. Performing a factory restart will still require you to sign into your Google account to continue normal operation. This should, at least in theory, hinder phone theft. The new security feature will initially be available on Nexus 6 and 9 only, but Google plans to extend support to a lot more future devices, running Android 5.1.[/NOTE]

This is interesting because what if your phone is not functioning correctly and cannot communicate with outside sources? How are you supposed to sign in and authenticate with Google if your phone cannot talk to the servers?

5.2?

Master Cole

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I know this thread was started 9 months ago but I have a question about Lollipop 5.0 or 5.1. I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 i527. Recently purchased the Gear S2 eagerly anticipating the release of number sync. It is now here but the feature cannot be activated due to the fact that my phone does not support HD voice. If I'm understanding correctly, if somehow I can upgrade my phone to one of the Lollipop versions, will this upgrade give my Mega 6.3 the HD voice capability?

Haven't heard of any OTA updates for Lollipop for the Mega 6.3 from AT&T. Will I have to root my phone and then download Lollipop myself? If so then what is the most trusted and functional rooting process? I hear of Kingroot but am unsure for security purposes. I will also have to find a downloadable file of Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I know this thread was started 9 months ago but I have a question about Lollipop 5.0 or 5.1. I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 i527. Recently purchased the Gear S2 eagerly anticipating the release of number sync. It is now here but the feature cannot be activated due to the fact that my phone does not support HD voice. If I'm understanding correctly, if somehow I can upgrade my phone to one of the Lollipop versions, will this upgrade give my Mega 6.3 the HD voice capability?

Haven't heard of any OTA updates for Lollipop for the Mega 6.3 from AT&T. Will I have to root my phone and then download Lollipop myself? If so then what is the most trusted and functional rooting process? I hear of Kingroot but am unsure for security purposes. I will also have to find a downloadable file of Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

I have no idea if the Mega is going to updated again, but I am sure you can search around to find that answer.

If you find that no more support or updates are coming, Root and Rom might be your only option if you want the latest Android and really like your phone. Your best source for this is XDAdevlopers forum. There are risks involved and a learning curve in doing it. But it isn't hard, you just need to really pay attention to the details and have patience. Make sure what ever you do, go by your model number with everything and not just the phone name. Make sure you install recovery and do a backup and store the files off the phone. I have done several phones and never bricked one yet and I not an expert. The reward is huge if successful. And if you like working on Tech stuff, it can be a lot of fun too. You will wonder why you stuck with stock Android for so long.