Poor photo quality making me consider trading in G3

joshumar22

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am so disappointed with the quality of photos that the G3 camera has produced that I'm thinking of selling it to buy the S6 when it comes out. I never thought I would pay full retail for a phone but the camera was a big factor in my decision to buy the G3 and it's a huge letdown.
In perfect, bright daytime conditions it does fine. But anything less than ideal and the OIS seems to get over aggressive. The shutter speed gets so slow (because the software thinks the OIS can handle it) that any motion in the picture is blurred. Most shots also come out with very poor/low contrast that makes for washed out, unimpressive images.
Does anybody else have similar issues and suggestions for fixing this? I'm holding out hope that the lollipop update from Verizon will help if it's just a software issue.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I am so disappointed with the quality of photos that the G3 camera has produced that I'm thinking of selling it to buy the S6 when it comes out. I never thought I would pay full retail for a phone but the camera was a big factor in my decision to buy the G3 and it's a huge letdown.
In perfect, bright daytime conditions it does fine. But anything less than ideal and the OIS seems to get over aggressive. The shutter speed gets so slow (because the software thinks the OIS can handle it) that any motion in the picture is blurred. Most shots also come out with very poor/low contrast that makes for washed out, unimpressive images.
Does anybody else have similar issues and suggestions for fixing this? I'm holding out hope that the lollipop update from Verizon will help if it's just a software issue.

I'm on T-Mobile D851 and no problems that you describe. As mentioned try other photo apps. Including the Google camera app. Try that first.

phillyhtc

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a T-Mo version and any pictures I take indoors are pretty much terrible. In fact, on the left side of most of my photos, I get blown out white blooming. Worst inside photo performance I've ever had on a smartphone. What gives?

Posted via the Android Central App

Johnny Barbrarelli

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm not surprised by OP's description of the camera's finicky moments. At times I regret discarding my m8 or consider buying a new camera to install because maybe mine is going bad.

Nobody should have thoughts like these when they are using a companies " flagship phone".

Jake_15

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

Not sure how your having these problems. I have a AT&T G3 and the camera is outstanding. Never really heard much complaints about the camera at all. Hopefully lollipop will fix it for you.

Posted via my AT&T LG G3 Running Illusion ROM

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I get compliments by family and friends when I send them pics that I took with my G3. Take a look at the picture thread up top here in the forums and if your pictures don't match up with what you see, then you most likely have a defective unit. If they do, then perhaps you need/seek better quality then most of us. I do hope you get it resolved.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I think photos taken inside are not that great. I like to take pics at my daughter's dance competitions and they just never turn out great. The pics always turn out with a yellowish tint to them (maybe orange even). My kid's iPhone 6 is so bright and even. I'm not even sitting that far away.

Attachments

• 0215151225b.jpg
    0215151225b.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 208

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I think photos taken inside are not that great. I like to take pics at my daughter's dance competitions and they just never turn out great. The pics always turn out with a yellowish tint to them (maybe orange even). My kid's iPhone 6 is so bright and even. I'm not even sitting that far away.

That looks atrocious.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

That looks bad. Can you tell us what your settings are?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just factory resetted my device but if I recall correctly I had mine set to auto, 10m (I like the screen ratio better) and hdr off. I think the hdr might be your issue in low lighting. Hope that helps.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame I have to spend 4.00 for FV app to see how good pics really are. Free version only allows 1M pictures.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
There are a few built in apps that need to call up the camera. Is there a way to reassign the default camera? Do I need to worry about the laser focus system if using Google camera for example?

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
You might have a defective unit or have your settings off. The stock Camera is the main reason I've kept this phone. I hope you have better luck.

vocalist

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have had three G3's. The first one I got took fantastic pictures but I wavered on phones and returned it for something else. Ended up back with the G3 and the second one's camera was horrible. All of my indoor pictures of my kids looked yellow or blue and there was no rhyme or reason. I did, however, notice that the developer options menu was on which lead me to believe that either something was up with the phone or that it was returned by someone. I called Sprint who told me my unit was defective and to swap it out, so I did.

My current G3 is much improved though I'm not completely convinced the quality is the same as the original. People talk about never getting a blurry picture but I seem to get a lot of blurry pictures. Other than that, all of the colors look as they should and when they come out right, they look fantastic. I think you should check with your provider about a new phone because that picture was atrocious and it seems clear that something may be wrong. Good Luck!

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I was struggling with low light pics and just realized that I had hdr set to auto. They turn out nice for stills such as landscapes but not so great for people. Pics have dramatically improved after shutting it off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88