Minimalist belt holster setup for G3?

BadDog

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've recently started looking for a new belt holster for my G3. I really like the slim light design, but when I got it, I just couldn't find a belt holster I liked. I wear a variety of clothing which almost never includes slacks or jacket/sport-coat (Phoenix AZ), and carrying it in Jeans or shorts pocket is just not happening. So the best I could find at the moment was an Otter Box Defender (I think that's right, but bulky rubber thing with belt clip thing). But it's just bulky, seems to at least double the weight, and the built in screen protector seems to really interfere with the responsiveness of the screen. Don't get me wrong, it's completely usable and I feel like I could drop kick it from the 20 yd line for a field goal and not worry for it's safety. But I want something smaller/lighter.

I like the phone so much that I convinced my wife to get one when they hit "free upgrade" status (paid $100 for mine :( ). Plus she's a bit of a luddite (reluctantly upgraded from a 6 year old LG Chocolate), and I knew I would be managing it for her, so much easier when it's exactly like mine. But she has a purse with dedicated pocket for it, so we got a very light safety cover (she is prone to "accidents") with tempered glass for the screen. It's SO much more pleasant to use. But there seem to be no belt mount clip/holster options in that range.

But something more like hers is really what I'm looking for. Circle cut outs and front covers are not of interest, nor are "leather-et" faux character designs, but I do miss the "kick stand" of my old phone, so that would be a plus but not required.

I'm really surprised that in all my google, Amazon, and forum searches I didn't find anything that fit this criteria. Seems like it almost HAS to be out there. Can Anyone provide a lead to where I might find this unicorn?

BadDog

May 10, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm the only one that want's to carry a smart phone on the belt? How are you other men who don't wear suits (or baggy pants) carrying these?

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I use a otterbox defender for the belt clip and i need the extra protection at my job

Posted via the Android Central App

BadDog

May 10, 2011
Visit site
No doubt, it's a nice setup for the shop or off-road. But for the majority of my use around town, I find it so much more convenient using my wife's with the light shock cover and tempered glass face. It's just so bulky with the Otter Box compared to her's, it feels like I'm using a masonry siding brick in comparison.

It'll do the job, and if I can't find something I like better, I'll keep it. But I was stunned that I couldn't find anything comparable, better (well, smaller/lighter) or not. I thought I must be missing something, which is why I posted here. I guess most people must just not be looking for what I'm looking for. Either that or someone has one hell of an opportunity for monopolizing a market segment, because there is NOBODY in it now...

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I am also a holster user; and we seem to be a dying breed and with good reason. With the size of smartphones these days (and the G3 approaching the 6" phablet/tablet threshold), no matter how fashionable a holster looks -- it's still going to be a 6-inch brick hanging off your belt no matter how you look at it.

Wasn't so bad a few years back with smaller BlackBerry's and Nokia's and/or flip-phones to holster them; but these days it's more or less loose-pants-pockets or backpack/purse.

Anyways, on my G3, I have a simple gel/rubber skin/case. However, that meant I couldn't use any G3-specific holsters since the gel skin would interfere. So I use a holster for a Samsung Note 4. This one is made by Cellet, has a plastic spring clip and magnetic flap cover. Nothing pretty nor cool looking but gets the job done.

I've shied away from case/holster combos (including Otterbox) although I did use them in my 'Berry days.

pftwanger

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi:

I use the Puregear holster, which I purchased from Amazon. After six months, it has held up well and I recommend it. It's slim and has a kickstand.

BadDog

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Klotar: Seems you are right. It's not cool enough, so nobody want's it. But I'm not looking for cool, I'm looking for function, comfort and convenience. I poked around at the VZ store looking for something that might work, but it seemed my only options required over size pocket holsters with the phone rattling inside.

pftwanger: That Puregear looks like it's on the right track. Not nearly as bulky as the Otterbox, and I like the kick stand a lot. And it leaves the face clear for a normal tempered glass protector, so the screen will be more responsive and easy/pleasant to use. Checks off most of my wants. If something better doesn't show up (seems unlikely), I'll give it a try. I searched Amazon early on, not sure how I missed that one, or why I ignored it if I didn't miss it. <shrug> Anyway, thanks.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Auction4Tech(V078) at Amazon makes the belt holster that you are looking for. I have an LG G2, with a Cruzerlite TPU skin case on my phone, and that combo fits into the V078 holster with some room to spare. I'll be getting the G3 soon, so i went to my AT&T store, and i tried it in the case, and it fit with enough room to add the TPU case over the G3. Check on Amazon.:p

pftwanger

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
BadDog:

I have a glass screen protector on mine. It's an excellent combination. The G3 feels really good in the hand, with the combination of the thin case back and the glass on the screen. Let us know if you try and like/dislike it.

BadDog

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I had already ordered the Puregear set before the last 2 posts came in. It came in a few days ago, but I waited till I had time to properly clean and install the tempered glass shield I also bought for it. I installed it earlier today and so far I very much like it. Jury is still out on the kick stand, not nearly as convenient as my old phone, but over all a much more pleasant package than the bulky Otter Box. As I've said before, it's a fine cover and safety is likely unmatched by any competitor, but the added bulk and heft really interfered with my enjoyment of the phone. And the worst part was the loss of sensitivity in the touch screen with the heavy face shield. If I can get the final corner to finish sealing down completely, I'll count this a big win.

I also ordered the V078 pouch holster. It was so cheap I figured it was a good backup plan, and may see use should I find myself wanting a more dressy enclosed option. In the end I also like it rather well, but at this point the Puregear is really what I was looking for.

Thanks to all who contributed. I'm a bit embarrassed that I couldn't find these on my own.

dud3r

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the Seidio case with holster. Doesn't add much bulk. I normally just put it on my belt under my shirt.

I'm sure you probably already know but the Platinum line from Best Buy is the same thing. Easily obtainable.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

pftwanger

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey BadDog:

Thanks for posting your followup. I originally used a case like the Otterbox (the Supcase). Although the protection was outstanding, it was every bit as bulky as the Otter, which is what led me to the Puregear. I'm very happy you like it.

BTW, I've used the kickstand many times over the last 6 months. Although it's a little finiscky, it's been quite stable in landscape mode.

momjoemomjoe

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Minimalist belt holster

Woman here. Looking for a belt clip like used to have with old Blackberry. Clipped to belt. When phone rang pull phone out of clip. Clip stays on belt. Simple, plastic, weightless. Where oh where do I find one? Samsung Note.

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Woman here. Looking for a belt clip like used to have with old Blackberry. Clipped to belt. When phone rang pull phone out of clip. Clip stays on belt. Simple, plastic, weightless. Where oh where do I find one? Samsung Note.
You want the one scottysize linked above. I buy Seidio clips for all my phones and they are perfect

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I think I may go with one of the Seido cases with belt clips - I've been wanting something to hold my phone up landscape mode when I put it bedside as I've been using it as my alarm clock. And a belt clip is just nice to have. I've used Otterbox before for other phones, but they are just so big.