LG G3 Charging issue?

bboysmax

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a LG G3 which i bought secondhand, mint condition boxed with accessories. It came with an official LG mains adapter and cable, but i'm having charging issue.

When i plug the phone in, it comes up charging but then it takes ages to charge, the worst i've seen is on the lock scren it said '3 days until fully charged'. So I tried a different adapter and that worked fine. So a few days later i try the official one again and it worked great for a few days, then now it back to '18 hours until fully charged'.

Is this the adapter? Or is it just luck that other adapters have worked a few times and and it's actually a battery/phone fault?

FreeFool

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had my G3 for a week now. Its not the speediest at charging. Mine has settled at over two hours to charge. It would be useful if others can comment on the average charge time for the G3??

bboysmax

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Well i bought the handset from an elderly gentleman who said he had an iPhone before, and doesn't understand Android hence the sale to go back to an iPhone. If he really knew the issue or not i'm unaware, but the way he described the fact 'when you click this icon here, it opens up a whole new section of apps!' makes me believe he wasn't so technically minded!

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that the charger that was sold to you is official (either the cable or the plug adapter)

This issue happens to me when I use a random charger or if someone switches my cables. The official G3 charger is the fastest charger I've owned. fully charges in about 1:30 - 2 hours roughly.

bboysmax

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that the charger that was sold to you is official (either the cable or the plug adapter)

This issue happens to me when I use a random charger or if someone switches my cables. The official G3 charger is the fastest charger I've owned. fully charges in about 1:30 - 2 hours roughly.

Well when the charger was working fine it would usually charge from flat in less than 2 hours. The adapter has the LG logo on it and has a 1.8 output compared to a Samsung one i've used that only gives 1.0

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Well when the charger was working fine it would usually charge from flat in less than 2 hours. The adapter has the LG logo on it and has a 1.8 output compared to a Samsung one i've used that only gives 1.0

It is probably a genuine charger but I've seen these cables go bad and charge much slower.

Also, there exists the possibility that your idle battery drain is high which would cause the seemingly slower charging.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
It is probably a genuine charger but I've seen these cables go bad and charge much slower.

Also, there exists the possibility that your idle battery drain is high which would cause the seemingly slower charging.

My thoughts exactly. I have a little device that measure the power used - called Kill-O-Watt. Some cables are much better than others. Not a big deal for older phones with 1a power requirement, but for 2a can make a huge difference. I actually tested and labeled all of my micro usb cables.

me75006

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
On charging-

E= (i) x (R)
voltage drop = (current draw) multiplied by (resistance of the conductor or cable)

example:
1a drawn through a cable having 0.5 ohms resistance = 0.5v drop, a 5v source is reduced to 4.5v, at 1 a draw
1.5 a drawn through a cable having 0.5 ohms resistance = 0.75v drop, a 5v is reduced to 4.25v, at 1.5 a draw

point: current drawn through your usb cable, which has a higher resistance, (poor quality, broken wire strands, ) , can cause a lowered voltage to be available for charging the battery. It causes the battery charge to take longer to complete.

wire gauge: a usb cable using wire gauge AWG 24 has larger diameter wires and is more suitable for charging.
A usb cable using wire gauge AWG 28 has finer wires, ok for carrying data, may be more apt to cause charging problems. Finer wires have more resistance than larger diameter wire.

dap1016

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
I have had several cables (aftermarket I am assuming) that gives that "incompatible charger" error message. The funny thing is that I get it using the charger block that came with the phone using a cable that I know works just fine with other charger blocks. So when I saw that it was a 1.8mah charger (according to the side of the block) I was really surprised. I plugged my Galaxy Note 10 into it, and got the red X on the battery. I must have a defective charger block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12