Hangouts notification issue on Verizon G3 Lollipop release?

swindelljd

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I've received the notification that I can download Lollipop for my VZW LG G3 and am trying to decide if I should pass on the update or not.

I've read a couple of posts indicating that there is an issue that causes Hangouts (and possibly Gmail) notifications to stop working after upgrading to Lollipop under certain circumstances. I believe this may only happen when on wifi, but I can't find enough info to confirm if this is the only circumstance. Also, according to the posts, Verizon and LG are already aware of this, but who really knows for sure if they are or how long until it would be fixed.

Since I use Hangouts as my primary communication channel, losing notifications for me is enough of a showstopper to not update to Lollipop.

So I'm wondering of those who use Hangouts and have upgraded to Lollipop on a VZW G3, have you had issues receiving Hangout notifications? And if so, are there specific situations where they do or don't work and was there anything you found that could make them start working.

TIA,
John

csyts

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I can also confirm that I also have this issue, notifications for gmail and hangouts don't come on Wifi since upgrading to lollipop.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the workaround people have reported is that these notifications work if you only have WiFi or mobile network on, but not both. To turn on only WiFi, turn on airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. To turn on only mobile network, just turn off WiFi.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I've received the notification that I can download Lollipop for my VZW LG G3 and am trying to decide if I should pass on the update or not.

I've read a couple of posts indicating that there is an issue that causes Hangouts (and possibly Gmail) notifications to stop working after upgrading to Lollipop under certain circumstances. I believe this may only happen when on wifi, but I can't find enough info to confirm if this is the only circumstance. Also, according to the posts, Verizon and LG are already aware of this, but who really knows for sure if they are or how long until it would be fixed.

Since I use Hangouts as my primary communication channel, losing notifications for me is enough of a showstopper to not update to Lollipop.

So I'm wondering of those who use Hangouts and have upgraded to Lollipop on a VZW G3, have you had issues receiving Hangout notifications? And if so, are there specific situations where they do or don't work and was there anything you found that could make them start working.

TIA,
John

Yes, you will not be able to receive calls in hangouts when on Wifi, nor any Google account emails, etc. I had to flash my phone back to Kit Kat to fix it. I would not recommend upgrading. Wait until word LG, or Verizon has fixed it. With the fugly LG skin, you get little to none of the Google material design anyway. It's not worth it in my opinion.