LG G3 Screen On Time

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
All, I realize that many talk about their battery life issues. While this is a comment (frustration maybe even), it is also to see what others are experiencing. I know everyone's use will be different, but I feel like I am getting a very low Screen On Time (SOT) based on my use. I charged my device fully yesterday afternoon and kept it on until it died just a little bit ago. My total battery time was just under 24 hours which included 8 hours of overnight time (3% drain overnight - from 59% to 56%). However, my SOT was just 2 hours and 35 minutes (30% of total battery drain). Android 0S was 9%, Goggle Play 8%, and Android System was 7%. Cell Standby was also 7%. In my opinion, had I even had an additional hour of SOT, my phone would have died much sooner. My screen brightness is at 54% and I only have wifi on when connected at home or work. Also, it seems that when I use the browser or Flipboard to read articles, I drop 3 or 4 % pretty quickly. Play a game and forget about it. I did a factory reset after Lollipop. The other day though, I didn't leave the house and I was on 86% through the late afternoon because it just sat there and I was painting so i didn't use it. But, as soon as I pick it up and read news or sports on the browser the battery just flies down. I love the phone, just don't know if I am overlooking a setting or something that causes that much drain with such little SOT. Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would help to see a few more pieces of info. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

One of the things that I'd be looking for would be poor cell signal, which can eat up battery life. Also, a corrupt file on an SD card can also contribute to battery drain, so it's worth unmounting the card and removing it, then rebooting.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
These are the pics that I took just before it died. The phone was charged fully to 100% and allowed to go all the way to device off. I didn't grab a screenshot of the cell standby screen with signal strength. I'll try with the sd card out and rebooted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-11-15-52-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-11-15-52-35.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_2015-05-11-15-52-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-11-15-52-42.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_2015-05-11-15-52-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-11-15-52-53.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 105

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nothing that stands out so far (besides the obviously low screen-on time). It would be helpful to see the graph with the cell signal strength, if you can get that next time.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Gsam battery monitor shows my average screen on time as 2hr 35. I am not happy with battery life and lg said to me its a bug which they are waiting for google to fix!

Posted via the Android Central App

uumeshh

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, with a total usage of 24 hours, I don't think 2hr 35 min SOT is bad by any standard. For a 4+ hours SOT your phone would have died in 15 odd hours. Stop worrying and enjoy your phone.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
You should be getting at least 4 hours with a G3 at that brightness. I get 6 routinely with a custom AOSP ROM and tweaks.

I suspect it's either wakelocks, services, or a poorly coded stock ROM that is bloated beyond reason. What model do you have?

Well, with a total usage of 24 hours, I don't think 2hr 35 min SOT is bad by any standard. For a 4+ hours SOT your phone would have died in 15 odd hours. Stop worrying and enjoy your phone.

This phone is tweakable down to .5% drain per hour on stock ROM. I get 1% drain over 6 hours during deep sleep with a custom ROM.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Well that's precisely the issue. I am trying to enjoy my phone and 2 hours and 35 minutes is not that good. The SOT relative to battery life isn't exact. I don't count the 8 hours that I was sleeping as a real indicator since the majority of people likely charge their phones overnight with the expectation that it lasts them the day before they get home after work or whatever and repeat the cycle. I'd say the most of our phones would last that long if we didn't use them during the course of the day. That 2 hours and 35 minutes is based on web browsing, emails, etc., not continuously on. I think that is low and so do others.

bhameyedoc

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
You should be getting at least 4 hours with a G3 at that brightness. I get 6 routinely with a custom AOSP ROM and tweaks.

I suspect it's either wakelocks, services, or a poorly coded stock ROM that is bloated beyond reason. What model do you have?

This phone is tweakable down to .5% drain per hour on stock ROM. I get 1% drain over 6 hours during deep sleep with a custom ROM.

What AOSP rom are you using? Also, I think you said in another thread that you are using the HTC camera apk with your rom, correct?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
What AOSP rom are you using? Also, I think you said in another thread that you are using the HTC camera apk with your rom, correct?

Currently using BlissPop for VS985. Was using Validis and before that Dirty Unicorns.

HTC M9 Camera app, works very well.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Nothing that stands out so far (besides the obviously low screen-on time). It would be helpful to see the graph with the cell signal strength, if you can get that next time.

Where do I get the cell signal strength besides going in to network and getting it at the current time? The cell standby screen doesn't show me much at all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking more about the full-screen battery graph that shows the cell signal strength indicator as a bar along the bottom (in green, yellow, or red). Is that available on the G3?

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Strange, my G3 is currently at 45% and I have logged just over 3hrs of on screen time. So far showing 13hr 40 min on battery.
The one advantage of a removable back is that one is able to replace the battery!

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I got about 3 hours today of SOT( usual) down to about 10% battery left after 13.5 hours of use. GSAM says that my average as well.

draskome

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
5+ hours SOT here, and lowest time was arround 4 hours... Sometimes I wonder is it normal to spend 4-5 hours a day looking at some screen... So much time wasted :/

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
5+ hours SOT here, and lowest time was arround 4 hours... Sometimes I wonder is it normal to spend 4-5 hours a day looking at some screen... So much time wasted :/

Hahaha! So true! Looking at useless stuff! Well, I am off to cut my lawn! 😉