Why does my LG G3 screen flicker and fades to darkness?

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
HELP - LG G3 Screen Flickers and fades to darkness

HELP:

Basically, i downloaded the recent new update from LG about 1 or 2 days ago and then this morning I went to turn on my phone and the screen flickered, got black lines coarsly running horizontal through it and slowly the screen over a 10-15 second span fades to darkness and then sits in a dark screen state. Then I hit the power button several times and the phone only some times will activate.

Everything appears to function fine besides the screen as I can do almost everything using remote tools (i.e. android wear, bluetooth headset, online cloud based texting apps, etc.). However, the screen will not work for more than few seconds the few times it will even turn on.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution or do I just need a new phone?

astangelo

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, though I didn't update my system recently (that I'm aware of). The screen fades to black, slowly. The haptic feedback will let me know that the screen is still "live".

One thing that I have found "useful" is that, while I have trouble getting my screen to turn back on, I have more success knocking it on, rather than using the button on the back.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: HELP - LG G3 Screen Flickers and fades to darkness

You need to perform an FDR to start with, but it sounds like the update went wrong. You need to contact LG ASAP, if the FDR doesn't fix it, which I doubt it will.

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Okay guess that is what I'll do. In the meantime I guess i'm going back to my windows phone Nokia Lumia 920 while I contact LG and run FDR (if i get the screen on long enough to do it).

astangelo

May 12, 2015
Visit site

FDR didn't solve the problem. Instead, I'm navigating setting up my env while the phone keeps fading on me.

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Interesting. I just spoke with LG and they suggested i do a hard reset. They said Lollipop updates have caused a lot of problems with the phones and may be affecting the screen. I'm going to wait until I get home to try.

In the meantime he did have one thign that has helped my phone go from not usable to at least bearable to where I can use it fro few minutes. Go to Settings >> Storage >> Cache data >>> Yes to confirm deleting, this appears to help the phone run better. Something in the background must be messing with the screen.

I'll keep you all posted on other solutions as I try.

tik-tak

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Having the exact same issue on my AT&T G3 since the last 3 days. Any update on anything you tried that worked to resolve the issue?

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Having the exact same issue on my AT&T G3 since the last 3 days. Any update on anything you tried that worked to resolve the issue?

I ended up sending the phone back to LG for free. I contacted them through the live chat service on their website. I get the phone back today if I'm there for the delivery signature. I'm assuming it will be fixed well see.

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Got my phone back on Saturday, and they sent me a nice refurbished unit (sent my battery and back cover back though). Basically was like getting a new phone. Installed my back up and nova launcher redid my home screen and now I have a zippy fast new phone basically. My phone was starting to get that major android lag that tends to happen after a year or so with a phone so it's nice to start fresh.

Hope this thread helped, i'd suggest contacting LG right away if you have the issue. It's free of charge but takes about 3 weeks door to door.

Hilton Thefoods

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I called LG first and they offered to replace the phone as long as there was no damage. They also said that they do not produce any software that would have been pushed that could have caused this problem.

I thought about if for a minute and then called T-Mobile. They were the ones that pushed the update and screwed up the phone. The guy on the phone was very nice and said we'll get a replacement to you as soon as possible (with me thinking they admitted guilt). Then he said the G3 was on back order. That let me know even more that it wasn't something that I had done.

So now I will have another G3 hopefully buy Wednesday. He said usually they ship them out overnight but it may take as many as three days. Either way I'm happy and I will get a working G3 and I can return my S4 back to the sock drawer. Thanks group, this really helped me get a replacement, FAST!
:)

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Crap, my phone JUST started doing this. And I purchased it just over a year ago (literally late July of 2014). Funny thing is that I have had lollipop for awhile now so it cant be software. I guess when I get home I will try to get on the horn with LG.

Eolewjr

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Crap, my phone JUST started doing this. And I purchased it just over a year ago (literally late July of 2014). Funny thing is that I have had lollipop for awhile now so it cant be software. I guess when I get home I will try to get on the horn with LG.

Mine is doing the same exact thing. I bought mine late July also and am now out of warranty. I did attempt to upgrade from 4.4.2 to Lollipop a couple of times and it won't upgrade. Also I tried to connect to LG Mobile PC Suite and that tells me I have the most up to date version.

Please let me know if LG works with you on your phone even though it's over the 1 year warranty period.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing the same exact thing. I bought mine late July also and am now out of warranty. I did attempt to upgrade from 4.4.2 to Lollipop a couple of times and it won't upgrade. Also I tried to connect to LG Mobile PC Suite and that tells me I have the most up to date version.

Please let me know if LG works with you on your phone even though it's over the 1 year warranty period.

Thanks.

I submitted a ticket and they sent me a FedEx label to return it. Going to see how much it costs or if they fix it knowing that this is a common problem.

Eolewjr

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Cool. I called and am outside of the 1 year warranty but they also said that there is a 15 month warranty from date of manufacture. I may send mine in here shortly but I need to remove root and all traces of it. I removed root and did an FDR on my device, however when it still won't let me update and gives me the "device is suspected in rooting" error. Of course this is difficult to do as my screen is constantly shutting off.

HoldFastHope

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I started to have this exact problem this past Friday. I took it to a repair shop to replace the lcd and when I went to get it back they told me they didn't have to switch anything out. What they told me was they disconnected and connected the lcd and it started working. They told me that if it continues to happen, I may just need a new phone because nothing was wrong with it. So, I mess with it in store and it was working pretty well but when I got home, it started to act up the same. I have no idea what to do and it's frustrating.

For those of you with and have had the problem, what ended up happening with your phone?

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Very frustrating as I am 2 weeks out of my 12 mo warranty! Not sure what to do.

Do what I did... Contact LG (I just made an online claim) and get ready to send it back. They sent me a FedEx ground label and have already received it and started repairing it. I'm hoping that the 15 month managers warranty covers all charges.

todeo70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

I have the same issue. Sent it off to LG to be fixed/replaced under warranty. The sent it back to me the same day they received it, saying they fixed the LCD screen. Unfortunately, the problem persisted. Not sure what "repairs" they did, but they did not fix the issue. I had to send it back to LG a second time and escalate the issue. Still waiting for a resolution.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis