No push email in Lollipop?

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I bought a LG G3 a few weeks ago and the same day I upgraded to Lollipop via factory reset before updating, then adding my accounts. I haven't had push email on any account since day one and I've read several threads in where it's claimed there's push email on Lollipop, or at least the gmail app. The lack of complaints about this tells me either it works properly for almost everyone, or it doesn't and few people care. I'd like proper push email, like I have on my Z10, but I can't seem to figure out where the problem lies. When I send myself test email the Z10 sounds off as my finger lifts off my mouse button, and then my desktop as soon as my Z10 goes quiet. Sometime in the next hour my G3 receives the same mail. It's the same result whether on WiFi or carrier connection.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought a LG G3 a few weeks ago and the same day I upgraded to Lollipop via factory reset before updating, then adding my accounts. I haven't had push email on any account since day one and I've read several threads in where it's claimed there's push email on Lollipop, or at least the gmail app. The lack of complaints about this tells me either it works properly for almost everyone, or it doesn't and few people care. I'd like proper push email, like I have on my Z10, but I can't seem to figure out where the problem lies. When I send myself test email the Z10 sounds off as my finger lifts off my mouse button, and then my desktop as soon as my Z10 goes quiet. Sometime in the next hour my G3 receives the same mail. It's the same result whether on WiFi or carrier connection.

What type of email account is this for?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
As Ry said, what email service is this? Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange or ?

You're using the Gmail app, correct?

Are you certain that you have support for push email notifications (aka IMAP IDLE) enabled in the settings?

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
What type of email account is this for?

As Ry said, what email service is this? Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange or ?

You're using the Gmail app, correct?

Are you certain that you have support for push email notifications (aka IMAP IDLE) enabled in the settings?

4 Gmail and 2 Outlook accounts, all with the Gmail app. Occurs to me I should mention the Inbox app as well as the Outlook/Outlook.com apps suffer the same problem, and so did the Type Mail app for the brief time I was trying it out. I no longer have the outlooks or Type Mail, just Gmail and Inbox, figuring from what I read that since Gmail had push it would do fine and I wouldn't need more apps than necessary. I tried to find relevant IMAP/POP settings but it appears I haven't found the right ones yet.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
The Gmail app *should* work. But since it's not for whatever reason, and since I'm giving you credit for already checking the push option in Gmail, I'm gonna suggest that you try another email client.

My favorite by far is AquaMail. I've used it for a long time and never had a problem with push notifications. You might consider Maildroid or K-9 also.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail&token=igdJdrXo

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
The Gmail app *should* work. But since it's not for whatever reason, and since I'm giving you credit for already checking the push option in Gmail, I'm gonna suggest that you try another email client.

My favorite by far is AquaMail. I've used it for a long time and never had a problem with push notifications. You might consider Maildroid or K-9 also.

*links removed because I'm a noob to AC.

Thanks - will check those out. :yes:
As a new Whovian it would definitely be awesome if K9 mail does the trick.

Then 2 more questions:

Are you connected to WiFI?

Do the emails show up when you open gmail?

Everything syncs as soon as I open gmail; but it's not pushing on or off WiFi. However, I noticed 5 times today as soon as I would switch from one connection to the other it does push, both ways.

dglock

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
You are suffering from what all of us on Verizon are. The WiFi sync bug. See this thead for work arounds. Verizon is suppose to release a "fix" this fall.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g3/516016-lg-g3-verizon-lollipop-issues.html

Had samething here downloaded app force gmail sync play store for 1.99 just pick sync time 1min to 8hrs .After reading all info that matty032 has posted on the other thread about ipv6 changed settings to 6to4 in wifi home router fixed all issues with sync !!!Many thanks to matty032 !!! I went to test ipv6 web page and did not pass all the tests went into cisco rounter and disabled ipv6 and selected to 6to4 tunnel settings went back to ipv6 web page and passed all test this time phone is fine on wifi now !!

Last edited:

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
You are suffering from what all of us on Verizon are. The WiFi sync bug. See this thead for work arounds. Verizon is suppose to release a "fix" this fall.

Not having 10 posts again is really annoying, just lost everything I typed because I forgot to remove that link. Long story short: downloaded Aquamail, K-9, Cloudmagic, created a new address just to spam myself with an address not on device. All day on Verizon, all evening on WiFi, seems to be "push when it feels like it" no matter the connection. At best I'd get all of gmail addresses pushed, OR all outlook, but never everything. Sometimes I wouldn't even get all, I'd have to refresh per inbox. And oddly, the only app getting email pushed is Gmail, but that's the right direction so that's a good thing (I think). I'm hardware savvy, but software issues trip me up, I can't figure out what's the problem.

ipv4.PNG

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
So just to be sure I have this right...

It makes no difference whether you're on WiFi or VZ mo old data, you don't get mail notifications pushed consistently, but you go k get them eventually and can download mail using either connection. I get that. But is it true that you might be on either connection when notifications come?

Its makes no difference what software you use?

The IPV6 test fails on either connection?

Have you contacted VZ?

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
So just to be sure I have this right...

It makes no difference whether you're on WiFi or VZ mo old data, you don't get mail notifications pushed consistently, but you go k get them eventually and can download mail using either connection. I get that. But is it true that you might be on either connection when notifications come?

Its makes no difference what software you use?

The IPV6 test fails on either connection?

Have you contacted VZ?

You have it correct, behaves exactly the same on either connection. And no, hadn't considered contacting Verizon because of that. I've only contacted them for select hardware issues and some signal problems in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol